6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2010 1:07 PM by Pete Marshall

Video imported has stopped working

Pete Marshall Level 4

When I try and import video from any source Premier stops working. Doesn't crash, just freezes. This started today.Everything working fine yesterday and nothing changed on my system

When I try and import from my usual source, a SD card, the screen shows the last card and its contents (which are not connected to the computer) When I click refresh Premier freezes.

Nothing seems to rid me of seeing videos and a card that is not even connected to the computer!

I have reinstalled twice. Everything up to date. Running on Vista with a Nvida card.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Video imported has stopped working
          Pete Marshall Level 4

screen-2.jpg

Screen grab. Note the card shown is not conected, the video files shown have already been imported.
          • 2. Re: Video imported has stopped working
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What kind of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer? Which settings did you select when you created your Premiere Elements project?

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? How much free, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive?

• 3. Re: Video imported has stopped working
              Pete Marshall Level 4

Video from different cameras. GH 1 being the

one the files showing are from.Files imported from SD card in readers I said. The reader showing is not connected to the computer at all. I have several readers and several sd cards. Tried them all. All Elements sees is the one card and then freezes.

I have no problem importing into a trial copy of Premier Pro I have installed, but am not about to buy this for the small amount of video editing I do. Every other app is working fine, including Lightroom, PS CS 4 and the usual stuff.

Quad core 2.5 Intel, 4 GB RAM Diskeeper 2009 doing background defrag so all drives are defraged and have 750 GB on the drive where I import video to and where the cache is located. This is a separate drive to the one r for OS and apps only, which has around 200 GB of free space.

• 4. Re: Video imported has stopped working
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What happens if you leave the SD card in the camera, connect the camera to your computer via USB and use Premiere Elements' Get Media tool to download the video from the camera?

BTW, have you ensured your second hard drive is formatted NTFS rather than FAT32 (as they are from the factory)? FAT32 drives have a file size limitation that often chokes video editing.

• 5. Re: Video imported has stopped working
                  Pete Marshall Level 4

Thanks for trying to help...

However, I don't connect dSLR's to computers as it means installing drivers for all the different cameras I may have to import from, I am certainly not going to start doing this and if that is the problem and elements can't read from sd cards and only develops the problem after several weeks of use, then it really is worthless to me. I import from the card. To do this you have to use Get Media as Elements won't allow you to import any other way with these files, AVCDVD as even if copied to a hard drive it tells you to switch to media importer.. It was working fine for weeks and suddenly stopped. My internal drives are formatted NTFS and it is them I am using, external FAT32 as those are used with MACS as well. I am surprised you say that FAT 32 has a problem with video editing given that most pros I know have always used Final Cut and until very recently MAC's just didn't work with NTFS.

I think I shall just give up with elements, it is really slow anyway.Just use iMovie on one of my MACs untill I need to lay out for Premier itself. Which as I said is  working absolutly fine with the files, my computer, my various drives etc........

• 6. Re: Video imported has stopped working
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The problem with FAT-32 is that there is an ~ 4GB file size limit. It is also slower, than NTSF, but not enough to really be an issue. It is the limitation on the file size, that can be an issue. This issue also affects most flash media, as they are also formatted FAT-32 for universal compatibility. That is why longer shoots produce truncated files, that must be "assembled."

Good luck,

Hunt