6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2010 5:21 AM by Steve Grisetti

Cannot set new in points or out points

rdmoseley1

Just installed Premier Elements 9.  These controls are missing in my Preview panel, in the sceneline. I have one inpoint and 1 outpoint per clip, cannot add new ones. I also tried configuring keyboard short cuts for these functions, no effect. What can I do?

• 1. Re: Cannot set new in points or out points
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Though PrE 9 might have made additions to the process, normally one would Dbl-click on the Clip in the Project Panel, to Open it in the Source Monitor. There, they can set the In & Out Points, as is desired. On a Clip, one can set different In & Out Points, and use those Instances of that "master Clip," each with different In & Out Points.

Once one has set the In & Out Points in the Source Monitor, just drag that adjusted Clip to the Timeline.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Cannot set new in points or out points
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sceneline mode does not include tools for trimming your video. (If you switch over to Timeline view, it's much easier.)

And, as Bill says, when you double-click on a clip on your timeline, it will open in the Clip Monitor, and you can set the In and Out Points there.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cannot set new in points or out points
              rdmoseley1 Level 1

Thanks guys. I am very experienced with computers but a total novice with video editing, and trying to cram in a lot in a short period of time. Your answers helped me understand the bit I was missing and move along. I also see now you've addressed this issue before in other posts. Very helpful explanations. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Cannot set new in points or out points
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Video editing is a very intense process, for both the computer and for the user. At first blush, some things do not seem that intuitive. Also, there can be differences in nomenclature and also mechanics, program to program.

For a "quick start," I highly recommend Steve's books on PrE (and PSE too), from Muvipix. He takes the user (new, or old) through the program in a very easy to read fashion. Though I was very familiar with NLE's, editing and even PrPro, I got so much out of his PrE book, that I was up to speed quite quickly. His books helped me to easily locate things that I knew had to be there, but were just placed differently, than in PrPro - also some names had changed and processes grouped differently. He also covers shooting videos, and general editing tips. Much more info than even the best manuals cover. I'd typify his books as a great manual with Adobe Classroom in a Book, all in one place, and at a great price. Make it a holiday present to yourself, and you will not be sorry.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Cannot set new in points or out points
                  rdmoseley1 Level 1

I bought this book immediately. It is fabulous. No one should own this program without this book. Thanks for the direction.