6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2010 4:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Improving audio

Ruglen

The audio on one of my clips has an annoying constant drum click. I'm sure the musician would be upset but I would like to remove this sound from an otherwise good soundtrack. The movie was recorded in a church at a Celebration of Life. Very good accoustics but there are the few unavoidable coughs etc which I would also like to remove.

Can this be done?

MM

• 1. Re: Improving audio
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MM

My thoughts have been distracted today...are you still working with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1?

You could check out Effects/Audio/ in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, but I am thinking that your answer is going to reside in the use of the free audio editor Audacity to try to get rid some of those noises. Not sure how successful you will be but....

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Noise_Removal

Please check it out. Others will probably be along with their comments soon.

ATR

• 2. Re: Improving audio
            Ruglen Level 1

I use Audacity frequently for my slide show programme .

I have not tried to import audio from my .mov files. Something new to work on.

I know how to separate the audio in Premier, now I have to save it and import into Audacity. I will give it a try,

MM

• 3. Re: Improving audio
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MM

I do not use Audacity all that much. I suspect that you might have to convert that the audio file to .aiff to get it into Audacity. But not sure on that.

Just a thought for now.

ATR

• 4. Re: Improving audio
                the_wine_snob Level 9

With many muxed AV formats, Audacity will "rip" the Audio. Not sure of the limitations there. If it will not, in this case, one could Export/Share the Audio-only from the Timeline, and then edit that file. Once done, it could be placed in another Audio Track, and one could either Mute (my choice), or Delete that original Audio.

This ARTICLE might offer some tips on "cleaning up" the Audio Track, though if you are on a Mac, some of the programs might not be X-platform, unfortunately.

Also, I use Adobe Audition (plus a little Magix program, which is not X-platform, IIRC), which is just now being ported for the Mac. Not sure when Audition 4 will be released though.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Improving audio
                  Ruglen Level 1

I separated the Audio track and converted it to MP3 using this programme http://www.flv2mp3.com/download/23540580

Using Audacity I will  have to figure out how to eliminate the annoying drum clicks. Another learning curve.

Thanks for your help, will keep you posted.

Mairi

• 6. Re: Improving audio
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I wish that I had some tips for using Audacity for this, but seldom use it. Others here, however, have a good working knowledge of the program.

With Audition, it's easy to Repair Transients. Just not sure of the easiest way with other software - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt