10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2010 1:33 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title

Skhotty

Whenever I add a title, it quickly goes to "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

What to do? Thank you in advance for any input on the matter.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

Also, what operating system are you using? Have you ensured it is fully updated -- including optional updates? Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime?

Finally, what kind of camcorder did your video come from, and which project settings did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title
            Skhotty Level 1

Let me premise my responses by, Prem Elem had been working fine and this issue just started not too long ago

Processor: 3500+ AMD Athlon 64 processor

RAM: 1GB    Free? Not sure what you mean.

Defrag space: just analyzed. All ok

QT: just updated

Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS80

Proj Settings: Not sure what you mean, "New Project?"

I'll make sure Vista is updated. Thinking about getting more RAM. It does say 1GB for on the "System Reqs" for Prem Elem

Thanks

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title

You will need at least 2 gigabytes of RAM to run this program.

You will also need at least 20-30 gigabytes of free, defragmented space on your C drive, and that should be defragmented regularly. You'll need much more space on your C drive if you only have one hard drive on your computer.

You should also go to Windows Update and manually download even the non-critical updates for Vista.

Then you should go to Apple.com and download the latest version of Quicktime.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title
                Skhotty Level 1

Thanks Steve. Need to get more RAM

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title

You still haven't said how much free space you have on your C drive -- but that too is critical.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title
                    Skhotty Level 1

I have 91.5GB free out of 224GB on my C Drive and I have 406GB free out of 465GB on my external drive

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Though the RAM is probably the issue there, also take a look at this ARTICLE.

First, though Titler is launched from within PrE, it is basically a separate program, so takes more resources, than just PrE. Next, this ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up your computer for an editing session, to free up max resources. Also see this ARTICLE, as your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) settings can affect resources allocation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title
                        Skhotty Level 1

I am going to add more RAM but do either of you could explain how it could be a RAM problem when the program worked fine in the past and now it's not.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title

One possibility: Every time Microsoft patches their operating systems, it adds more background programs. Windows XP used to work fine with 500 Kb of RAM. Now it needs at least 1 gig to run with any efficiency and even more to run an intense program like Premiere Elements. (At least that's been my experience.) I would expect something similar going on in Vista.

It could also be the presence of junk on your hard drive, including tmp files, spyware and an untidy registry. As I say in my books, you can take care of a lot of that by running Spybot S&D, Free Registry Repair and Advanced System care on your computer regularly (as I do every week). These are all free programs and you can download most of them from http://www.savemybutt.com. (The great Mike diMicheles, who runs that site, even includes instructions for weekly cleaning up your computer.)

You'd be surprised what a half hour tune-up can do, as far as restoring your computer to the speed it used to run when it was brand new!

Your virus software (especially if you're using Norton or McAfee) can also make your computer run less efficiently.

Replace them with the absolutely free Microsoft Security Essentials and you'll be amazed how much more efficiently your system runs!

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 4.0 stops working when adding a title
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

RAM is but one link in the "memory" and "resources" chain, but a very important part. It is the fastest, and the OS and most programs, try to put as much into the RAM, as is possible. The next link in the chain is the I/O sub-system (the HDD's) through Windows Virtual Memory. This acts like artificial RAM, and is much, much slower, thought usually larger. This is the overflow area. Depending on the OS, only so much can go into RAM, and the rest gets stored on the HDD in the Virtual Memory Page File. The last link is the CPU, as it can only process so much data at a time.

I agree completely with Steve on a tune-up. This is one of the most important parts of most of his books, and is why I always recommend that one read the appendix, where this info is logically laid out. Too many skip over that info, as they want to get right to editing videos.

Along the same lines, I did this ARTICLE on getting one's computer setup for an editing session. There are usually many programs and processes, that are totally unnecessary, when editing. Each will eat up RAM, Page File space and CPU cycles. Most turnkey, purchased computers come with tons of unnecessary "bloatware." Over time, other programs will load in all sorts of "stuff," and not all is essential to editing.

If you system is marginal, then some task, such as launching Titler (a program within a program), can put it over the edge. Personally, I like to provide as much headroom, as is possible, though some like to live on the "edge."

With thorough tuning and cleaning, even a marginal machine can be made to work. Multi-tasking might be out of the question, but it can be done.

Good luck,

Hunt