4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2010 3:10 PM by KariHovda

Problems with linked files & shockwave, Mac, Director 11,5

KariHovda

I develop games for children, and on PC I still use Director MX, but as I also needed to distribute the last game on Mac I bought Director 11,5 for mac (got problems making a mac-versjon of MX2004, and "gave it up") ...

My game consists of a small projector and 10 director files in a subfolder. All these files have a lot of linked cast members, mostly sound, but also some video. THis works perfectly on pc. On Mac it works  fine too, - as long as all the files are open or protected, but if I make shockwave-versions of the files, the linked media only works on the absolute path where it was made!

That means that players cannot install the game where they like, you can't put  the whole game folder (including sub-folders) to the desktop or wherever you want, - Director starts asking for the files. This is very strange, as it works perfectly on PC.

The reason why I need to save the files as Shockwave -format is lack of  space on the cd, - the game is around 900 mb with protected files, and 600 with shockwave files.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?!?

PS: I just found a way to get around it, I save as shockwave on pc and copy it over to Mac, - then on a couple of files that need to be changed in the mac-version I just protect instead of saving as shockwave. - But this must be a bug in the Mac-version?

• 1. Re: Problems with linked files & shockwave, Mac, Director 11,5
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

A potential solution is to add folders to the searchPaths - for example:

on prepareMovie
            _player.searchPathList.append(_movie.path & "sounds")
          end prepareMovie

Or use a beginSprite handler to link members to their media:

on beginSprite me
            mPath = _movie.path
            sprite(me.spriteNum).member.filename = mPath & "sounds" & mPath.char[length(mPath)] & "audio.mp3"
          end

• 2. Re: Problems with linked files & shockwave, Mac, Director 11,5
            KariHovda Level 1

hi,

thanks, - yes , I know I can rewrite everything and fix it by using Lingo, - but it shouldn't be necessary as it works fine on PC? Also, I have 3-4 other games that I want to convert to Mac, and each of them have at least 10 director files and between 100 and 200 soundfiles... So it would be best if this could just be handled automatically. It's a long time since I worked with Mac, and I can't remember that this was a problem then, so something must have changed...

• 3. Re: Problems with linked files & shockwave, Mac, Director 11,5
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

I know I can rewrite everything and fix it by using Lingo, - but it shouldn't be necessary as it works fine on PC?

You don't have to "rewrite everything" as the issue you're experiencing can be (readily, easily) fixed with a couple of lines of Lingo in a single movie file (the projector). I would agree that this shouldn't be happening, but instead of hoping for a fix you should implement an available work-around and move on.

• 4. Re: Problems with linked files & shockwave, Mac, Director 11,5
                KariHovda Level 1

hi again,

no, I'm not hoping for a fix, I have given up hope on Adobe fixing anything concerning Director.. but I wanted to know if this is a "known bug" or if I had misunderstood something...

I tried to add the folders to the SearchPathlist in the projector, and it works fine, - however there are 20 subfolders with sound, so I should probably do it in every movie to avoid having to search through all of them each time, it will get too slow. Thanks, anyway!