6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 4:40 AM by nealeh

still trying to use 'get media' with canon VIXIA HF20

jsf728 Level 1

I have been working on this problem on and off for a while.  I am using Premiere Elements 8 with a USB 2.0 connection to my Canon VIXIA HF20.  Every time I open get media the camera is not seen.  The PC sees it as a drive and I can access the stream on the camera through 'my computer', but can't figure out how to drectly download the streams into Eleiments.  I have posted before as was advised to see if my camera was set to 'VTR'.  I have checked high and low for this setting- manual, online, camera itself- and have not found anything even remotely related to this setting.  Please if there are any ideas or if anyone has had this same issue and solved it PLEASE let me know.

Thanks much.

• 1. Re: still trying to use 'get media' with canon VIXIA HF20
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you tell us what you ARE doing so we can figure out what to recommend?

• 2. Re: still trying to use 'get media' with canon VIXIA HF20
            jsf728 Level 1

Sure...I create a new project in Eleiments...connect camera to pc via usb, power on camera and set it to 'transfer to PC'.  In Elements I click on 'get meda'- or try it from the drop down menu, the results are the same,- and select 'AVCHD or other hard disk/ memory camera'.  In the get media dialog box the get media menu shows 'none dectected' and when I try refresh still nothing happens.

• 3. Re: still trying to use 'get media' with canon VIXIA HF20
              nealeh Level 5

PRE won't recognise devices connected via USB as imaging devices. You need Firewire for that. But if you use import from "Files and Folders" it should see your camera as an external drive.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: still trying to use 'get media' with canon VIXIA HF20
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Actually, for AVCHD, USB is the the ONLY way to connect the camcorder to your computer -- and Premiere Elements' Video Importer should indeed see the camcorder over a USB connection.

It sounds like, for some reason, it's not working in this case. (I assume you've ensured that the USB is not a shared connection, and you've tried more than one USB socket. You've also gone to your Device Manager and ensured your computer's operating system sees the camcorder.)

Have you installed the camcorder's software to your computer? That may include some necessary connection drivers.

Otherwise, you can use your computer's operating system to move the video from the camcorder to your hard drive. Then you can use Get Media/From Files and Folders to get the video into your project.

It's not the way it's supposed to work, but it will do until you can figure out what's up with your configuration.

• 5. Re: still trying to use 'get media' with canon VIXIA HF20
                  Ted Smith Level 3

Some computers have some USB1 and some USB 2 ports.

Check you are using the right one for your camera.

Alternately, when connected, if you can see the files in the camera in Windows Explorer as a removable drive (just like a USB stick) simply copy them to the folder you want them to be in and when you open PE9  to import, import from PC file instead of camera. This does not recopy them but simply marks them as imported in the organiser.

PE9 then wont know the difference.

I would think Canon have an organiser app that will do this for you, I have Sony PMB and it works fine giving you better control of arranging by date, theme etc.

• 6. Re: still trying to use 'get media' with canon VIXIA HF20
                    nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Actually, for AVCHD, USB is the the ONLY way to connect the camcorder to your computer -- and Premiere Elements' Video Importer should indeed see the camcorder over a USB connection.

Thanks Steve, not having an AVCHD camera I didn't realise that and was thinking of my old (since replaced with Canopus ADVC) USB VHS Video Converter.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children