21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 5:31 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE 9 & cameras that do not work together

jeffgedgaud Level 1

Please, I only want replies from users of Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro(any edition) who are having the problem of a camcorder or whatever video recording device not working in the Adobe porgrams.

I recently received Premiere Elements 9 along with Premiere Pro as part of CS 5 and am having problems with both programs and a camera. I am running Windows 7 on a very good system, specs will not be provided or worried about as this is more of a general question.

I am working with three cameras, a Genius G-shot HD520, Coby Snapp and  a Panasonic Mini DV. All three cameras cost under $200 but the Coby Snapp only costs about $30.

The Coby Snapp and the Panasonic work great in both Premiere Elements 9 and Premiere Pro but the Genius HD 520 does not work at all. When I import video to my desktop from  the HD520 it automatically shows as a DivX movie clip and plays just fine in DivX player as well as playing and editing in other programs like Windows Movie Maker and Nero ShowTime.

The Genius HD520 costs about $120 or so, the Windows Movie Maker is free.

I understand that different codecs and wrappers and all that are an important part of the video editing but once again Premiere Elements and now Premiere Pro is working with one camera and not another.

I do not want an explanation about why this is, I understand it. BUT consumers who are looking to buy these products may not be understanding these codec explanations, if they want help with that please start another discussion, do not discuss that here.

What I am asking for here is a simple explanation from users who have used either Premiere Elements 9 or Premiere Pro(any version) and not had a camera or camcorder work with it. Simply trying to get the editors to play or edit video and the program not even doing anything with the video is what happens, no errors, just does not even recognize that the clip is a video.

Again, I would like to know make and model of camera and program that is not working together, nothing more.

Jeff Gedgaud

• 1. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
          nealeh Level 5

If you don't want help, and understand it all anyway, for what purpose do you want this information?

For your information stack I couldn't get my Kodak Brownie to work with any version of PSE.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
            jeffgedgaud Level 1

Thanks for the useless information, Adobe might want to know this type of information as they can add it to a list of known problems.

But users with a partiucular brand and model camera might want to know if their model will not work with a program they are thinking of purchasing.

I am just trying to gather a list for potential users to find out if their camera might or might not work with PE 9.

And I was serious about only posting if you are having problems with a particlaur camera model and not others.

• 3. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The ability for PrE/PrPro to work with a particular camera will depend on several things:

1.) the format, and much more importantly, the CODEC used by the camera. That unit that records with DivX compression will likely NEVER be editable in either Premiere program. You can convert the material, externally, or you can use a program, like CyberLink's PowerDirector, if the DivX CODEC is installed on the system.

2.) the CODEC's that are installed on the system

3.) the ability for the NLE program to work with that/those - see this ARTICLE for background.

4.) the connections available on the camera, and those on the computer

5.) the functioning of those connections. As an example, with Win7, one can experience issues with FireWire connections, and changing the driver in the OS to the version with the word "Legacy" in the name will likely fix things.

A list of the cameras that DO work with PrE/PrPro would be easier to compile, than one for all that do not. Also, it is highly unlikely that anyone has tested every camera available to know what does not work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                nealeh Level 5

The difficulty is that a statement "this camera does not work with PRE/PSE"  nearly always means "I do not know how to make this camera work with PRE/PSE".

You have stated that you have a camera that "does not work", but have come to a user-to-user support forum (where we like to help people get their cameras and clips working)  and say that you do not want help. So your statement "it does not work" is unproven.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                  nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

That unit that records with DivX compression will likely NEVER be editable in either Premiere program

Bill, I have the DivX codec installed and downloaded a test clip from DivX Movies. This imported directly into PRE9 via 'Files and Folders' (needed rendering but I expected that). I made some clip edits, added a transition and saved it out in iPhone/iPod format. All completely painless.

Probably the last PRE9 test I can do - my trial expires tomorrow and I've pretty much decided to stay with PRE7 because of the graphics card problem and poor performance of PRE9 on my machine. I will be buying PSE9 though so it will be interesting to see if I can work effectively with two different Organizers installed.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

That is great news! Even PrPro CS5 cannot edit DivX files - there is always an issue: usually no Video, but Audio fine. At best, users have gotten both Video and Audio, but with horrible OOS issues.

For me, I always just convert first. I did find that my CyberLink PowerDirector WOULD Import and edit most DivX material fine, but I do not like the editing interface in that program, so basically used it to "convert" the DivX material, and then edit that resultant file in PrE, or PrPro.

Guess that I'd better upgrade to PrE 9, as that would likely save me a step, when I'm handed DivX material (not often, but often enough that your comments catch my attention). Now, I wonder about the versions of the DivX CODEC, and how well older versions will work? I'd better try it out.

Thanks for that info,

Hunt

PS - I can Export to DivX fine from either PrE 4, or PrPro, but cannot do the same with the open source Xvid CODEC - always get a lock-up. No big deal, as I have the latest DivX CODEC, so do not need Xvid.

• 7. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

A good "starting point" from Adobe would be the list of cameras, in the Capture drop-down list, though many more will work just fine, though a particular camera model might not be shown. Note: this is only for Capture via FW from a miniDV tape camera. For working with other formats, one does a Get Media, and not a Capture.

I have never seen a published list of cameras that WILL, or WILL NOT work in either Adobe NLE program, but one might exist.

Good luck with the research,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                        jeffgedgaud Level 1

You guys are not reading and understanding or are just posting to be an annoyance. I only wanted to hear from users of the program that have been having problems even playing video in Premiere Elements 9.

• 9. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

And exactly what do you wish to hear from them, as you do not want any advice on working with the source material?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                            jeffgedgaud Level 1

Apparently you are not understanding me so I will state this simply, I do not want to get my camera working, I want to compile a list of camcorders that people are having a problem with.

If you are having a problem with your camera and Premiere Elements 9 please post the camcorder make and model and a brief explanation of the problems so that others can know if they can expect the same types of problems with the program or not.

All others go away to other posts that are asking for help, please...

• 11. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, here are two:

RED

Arri Alexa

That's a start.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                                jeffgedgaud Level 1

Mr. Hunt, please do not post here anymore, I do not want your need your help. I only want to hear from those that are having problems with their camcorder and

PE 9.

This thread was intended to help those that are thinking of purchasing the Premiere Elements 9 but apparently there are those that cannot read and understand simple english.

All I wanted was a list of camcorders that DO NOT work with PE 9, not help.

• 13. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but I was trying to help. One can also add the Panasonic AG-3DA1, and all 2K and 4K cameras to that list. Not sure what you want, if it's not cameras that do not work with PrE9? Even many of the "heavy-weight" pro-sumer and fully pro cameras can work, as they record onto flash media, in pretty standard formats/CODEC's, and so long as one has a very stout system, can be made to work. Some might require that the user add specific CODEC's to the system, but that does not constitute an inability of PrE 9 to handle that footage - just another step in the right direction. Add your three cameras, and the list has grown. I am sure that others can add some specific cameras, but I cannot think of any, other than a few that compress to Xvid, and after Neale's comments above, maybe PrE 9 now handles that open source version of DivX too. I just cannot tell you.

An obvious area of inclusion would be any analog camera, like a VHS/C-VHS camcorder (with an A-D bridge, even these work just fine), but even the later Sony Digital-8's will work.

Now, some users have had issues with certain JVC models, the Kodak video cameras and initially some of the Go-Pro cameras, but thanks to users here, workarounds, or changes in workflow have gotten the footage from most of those cameras to edit nicely.

Some DSLR's, and basically still cameras, that also shoot video, present issues, but again, most have been made to work, though probably not all. I just do not recall the models that have failed.

All too often, the issue is with one's system, one's workflow, or OE. Still, there are limitations in PrE, say vs PrPro, as more settings are available for Project Presets in the latter program. PrE 9 has come a very long way to mimicking its "big-brother," but PrPro still holds a major edge there, and well it should, considering the target audience and the price differential. Even the consumer standard, AVCHD, can cause issues, if one has an underpowered computer. This is not a limitation of PrE, but the computer. That is why I did not mention any of those - the limitation is not with the footage, or PrE, but elsewhere.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Jeff, the biggest problem is that a camcorder may work fine on my system and the exact same model may NOT work on yours!

The issue is more often an improperly configured (or incompatible) computer system. It's rarely a problem with the camcorders themselves.

At least not as long as you're talking about miniDV, HDV, AVCHD camcorders, Flip camcorders and Canon EOS cameras that shoot video. I can't vouch for inexpensive camcorders that are made just to shoot video and load it directly to YouTube.

Meantime, I will have to ask you to be more respectful of other posters on this forum or your posts will be removed. Our goal on this forum is, above all, to have a forum that is friendly and helpful. Thanks.

• 15. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                                      jeffgedgaud Level 1

Bill, are you intentionally being rude or is it just your nature. I do not want you to post here and have blatantly told you that.

Should I use clearer words, Bill Hunt, do not post here any more.

I already said as much and do not want your help nor do I need your now worthless posts added as you have ruined my attempt at helping others.

I wanted to have a simple list of camcorders that were having problems with PE 9, but you have to continue to up your post count so that you can try to impress everyone with how much you invade every post on the Adobe forums.

Steve, I also do not want help with this post, I want to hear from people who are having problems and with what camcorders.

It is just like what Adobe has done only backwards, I know this is hard to understand but it would help for people who do have a camcorder and are wondering if it will work or not.

Two lists, One with camcorders that work and one with camcorders that people are having problems with. It is a simple concept, if you are having problems with your camcorder and Premiere Eleemts 9 please post.

Everyone else go away and do not post on my thread, please.

• 16. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You ask for input and when I give it, you refuse to acknowledge it. Exactly what is it, that you really want?

I will refrain from posting, but I also do not think that you will get much additional info.

Guess that I am being "rude" for trying to help you.

BTW - check your PM's, as I think that you have an agenda in all of this, and it is what I would call "rude," and with a capital R.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                                          jeffgedgaud Level 1

I only want to help those who are thinking about purchasing some video editing software and

other users of either Premiere Elements 9 or Premiere Pro who are having problems with camcorders and using the software.

I have three camcorders, two work just fine with Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements, one does not.

I was just trying to get people to list the camcorder and program that they are having problems with.

This is no different than Adobe's list of known good camcorders but from the opposite side of things, camcorders that do not work with Premiere Eleemnts 9 or Premiere Pro.

Please, if your having problems please list your camcorder make and model and the Adobe video editing program and a very brief description of the problem.

• 18. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                                            Ted Smith Level 3

Maybe Mr. or Ms jeffgedgaud works for Pinnacle or some other similar company?

Surely it is impossible to compile a reliable list of "Cameras" when a new one could hit the market tommorrow.

It's not the 'brand' or 'model' of the camera that is the question but the type and specs of the video file the camera produces.

It is pretty clear what types and specs of files can be played in PE9 so anyone who is considering buying a camera should check it is capable of producing a file of the compatible type not the other way around.

I did and I have fantastic results and fast editing Sony full HD 1900x1080i  on a quite modest computer set up the way this forum recommends in  numerous posts and not one crash (yet).

No other editing prog matches PE9 for the price so if you are stuck with an incompatible camera, simply convert the files first before importing or stick with Movie Maker.

• 19. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                                              nealeh Level 5

jeffgedgaud wrote:

I have three camcorders, two work just fine with Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements, one does not.

Jeff, if you could post a small clip from the problem camcorder to a file sharing site (no more than 20MB please, my Internet connection is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow) I will take a look at it for you. Note that I need it today (Monday) as my trial expires tonight .

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale

• 20. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                                                jeffgedgaud Level 1

You guys are just not understanding and I could not be more clear, I will not post a clip of any video.

I do not work for any company, my name as is clearly stated is Jeff Gedgaud, Google me.

I do not want help with my problem, my problem is people answering questions I have never asked.

I will state this one more time for those of you who cannot read.

I WANT TO ONLY HAVE PEOPLE WHO ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH A CAMCORDER AND PREMIERE ELEMENTS TO POST THE MAKE AND MODEL OF CAMERA AND A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEMS.

HOW COULD I NOT BE ANY MORE CLEAR, ALL OTHERS GO AWAY AND DO NOT POST.

• 21. Re: PE 9 & cameras that do not work together
                                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Jeff, please start a new thread and we'll see if we can keep it on topic.

I'll lock down this one to prevent any further verbal abuse.

Thanks for keeping it friendly.