7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2010 5:59 PM by Erik Korte

HUD/Change Gain Envelope Options

Erik Korte

Bravo on this beta release first of all!

I have never used Audition only because I've been a Mac audio man since day one so.....

The speed, GUI and layout are very nicely done indeed. The Effects Rack is nice as well.

I'm wondering if it's possible to implement something similar to what Peak and Wave Editor have for a gain envelope?

99% of the time I need to make a small gain change, I want it to sound as non-abrupt as possible.

The "Spline Curve" type option would seem ideal.

In Peak you can select a portion of a file, and there's a gain envelope option where you add points as shown here:03.jpg

In Wave Editor you can fake it by using a fade out, adjust the handles and add points to create the same thing:

02.jpg

But I can't see any way to do this using the HUD. I love the speed of the HUD, but it seems like it's a hot or cold item with no way to get a gradual fade out & in curve (like you could do with a physical fader):

01.jpg

Is there another way to achieve the same result? Better yet, can we possibly have the option to apply the change to one channel of a stereo file as well?

Thanks!

Erik

PS: What does HUD stand for?

• 1. Re: HUD/Change Gain Envelope Options
          TeetowSBZ

PS: What does HUD stand for?

Heads-Up Display. It tends to be used to describe a graphical interface overlay, derived from those in fighter jets.

• 2. Re: HUD/Change Gain Envelope Options
            Erik Korte Level 1

Right on!

Can anyone comment on the gain envelope options?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: HUD/Change Gain Envelope Options
              Scott Carver Level 1

You should take a look at our Volume Envelope effect (Effects->Amplitude and Compression->Volume Envelope). I think it should provide the functionality you're looking for - it gives you the abilty to basically draw and apply a gain envelope to a selection in the wave editor - same as in Au3, though a bit more powerful in some subtle ways. You can also save a preset / favorite for any envelope if you want to, for example, have one keystroke to quickly duck a loud section of audio.

Does this match what you're used to in Peak / Wave Editor?

Also - take a look at Preferences->Data - Audition automatically does a tiny bit of cross-fading at the boundaries of edits, to prevent clicks. By default, it's set to something around 2 ms, but the max values are quite high, so if you were doing work where you wanted to use the hud to quickly turn up and down audio all over your file, but wanted smoother crossfades, you could try adjusting these settings also.

Scott C

• 4. Re: HUD/Change Gain Envelope Options
                Erik Korte Level 1

These volume envelopes are pretty much what I was talking about.... yes.

The handles and adjustments are a little finicky but I'll try some more tonight.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: HUD/Change Gain Envelope Options
                  Erik Korte Level 1

After a little experimentation..... WE HAVE A WINNER!

This method (although a few mouse clicks away) does what I was talking about.

Thanks!

I guess I wonder why the same volume change options that are available in the Multitrack view, aren't simply available in the Waveform view?

It really would be nice to apply gain changes to one channel of a stereo file for instance.

4.jpg

• 6. Re: HUD/Change Gain Envelope Options
                    Matt_Stegner Adobe Employee

"It really would be nice to apply gain changes to one channel of a stereo file for instance."

Just disable editing on the channel you do not want the gain changes on.  In the Editor, on the right hand side you will see button to enable and disable editing of the channels.  When a channel is disabled it will turn gray.

-MattS

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: HUD/Change Gain Envelope Options
                      Erik Korte Level 1

Brilliant solution.

Thanks!