3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2007 6:37 AM by arfore

Can't edit pages

dlipscombe Level 1
      When my client tries to open certain pages she gets a message saying that I'm logged on and already editing that page. It's not always the same page. I don't have Contribute launched. We have both tried restarting our computers but that doesn't help. Anybody have a suggestion?
        • 1. Re: Can't edit pages
          Piloumons
          quote:

Originally posted by: dlipscombe
          When my client tries to open certain pages she gets a message saying that I'm logged on and already editing that page. It's not always the same page. I don't have Contribute launched. We have both tried restarting our computers but that doesn't help. Anybody have a suggestion?

I have exactly the same problem! Please help if you can! I have emailed my server who suggested to change the password to access my website. I have done it and still cannot access 2 of the 3 pages. I have sent another mail to my server and I am now searching this site. If you know anything, please help a lady in distress!

• 2. Re: Can't edit pages
            dlipscombe Level 1
            I found my problem. I had set up a test site in the same folder as my business web site. It was causing a conflict. Once I moved the customer site to the server the problem went away.
            You may try setting up a new site key.
            • 3. Re: Can't edit pages
              arfore Level 1
              Contribute uses the same check in-check out mechanism that Macromedia introduced with Dreamweaver.

When you begin editing a file in Contribute, you will find that a file of the same name is created in that directory with an added extension of LCK.

This file contains the name and username of the person who is editing the file. If this page was sent as a draft to another user the text of the lock file will contain the line "Macromedia Contribute".

The main way that would see a message indicating that you have an edit in process for a page that is not in your draft console is that you started editing the file on one computer then switched to another computer later. The drafts for Contribute that have not been sent for review to another user on the system are stored locally on the computer that they were created on.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to regularly use different computers what you need to do when switching machines is to either:

1) publish the draft, even if it is unfinished; or
              2) send the draft for review to yourself.

If you send it to yourself for review, when you login to CPS on a different client machine the draft will be downloaded to your computer and show up for continued editing in your draft console.