3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2010 3:20 PM by nealeh

PRE 7 - Moving everything to a new PC- baffeled

amosher

Have a new Win7 PC, want to move the 100's of Gigs of video files projects intact from Win XP PC to its new home.   Help, after several hours I have been unable to find what the process is.  Have done a Backup & Restore with PSElements 7, pretty straight forward.   Cannot find the equivalent magic button for Premier.  What am I missing?   Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: PRE 7 - Moving everything to a new PC- baffeled
          nealeh Level 5

In PRE you use File> Project Archiver to move a project to a new location. This however only works on a single project at a time. You might find it easier to use Windows Explorer to copy all your project folders to the new machine. Then each time you open a project it will ask you to locate missing files. Once you point it to the first missing file it will then automatically pick up the remaining ones from that folder.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PRE 7 - Moving everything to a new PC- baffeled
            amosher Level 1

Thanks for responding, after searching for hours I figured had to be missing something so simple that no one other than me is asking the question.

Sounds like my hope of collecting all the files scatttered across multiple drives and folders, plus my settings and moving en masse  via a "backup & restore" process to the new PC is a dream?  Wow, glad I don' t have hundreds of projects.

• 3. Re: PRE 7 - Moving everything to a new PC- baffeled
              nealeh Level 5

For your existing projects, create a new folder for each one, then point the Project Archiver at it. This will sort out the correct assets. Moving forward create a folder for each new project you work on.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children