20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 9:43 AM by fmihaylo1

Layers

fmihaylo1

How do I add a layer in Premier Elements 8?  Under the Window drop down, there's no layer option.

• 1. Re: Layers
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Layers is a function of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. Not Premiere Elements.

Premiere Elements uses tracks of video and audio. You'll see them if you're in Timeline mode.

• 2. Re: Layers
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve points out, "layering" is done via the Video Tracks in an NLE. The upper Track takes priority over the Clips on the lower Track, just like with Layers in PS/PSE. This means that to see the material on the lower Tracks, one must either allow space (say with a smaller Frame on the higher Track, or by "punching a hole" in the upper Track's Clip), or by adjusting the Opacity of the Clip on the upper Track. Otherwise, the Clip on the upper will be all that one would see. It's exactly like Layers. You either will only see "around" the upper Track's Clip, or "through" it by some means.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Layers
              fmihaylo1 Level 1

Thanks!

I expected they were also called layers and couldn't find them anywhere.

One of my problems was the window at the bottom was not expanded enough to see the video tracks in the Timeline mode.  When I expanded it, there they were.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Layers
                fmihaylo1 Level 1

Thanks!

I expected they were also called layers and couldn't find them anywhere.

One of my problems was the window at the bottom was not expanded enough to see the video tracks in the Timeline mode.  When I expanded it, there they were.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Layers
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The terminology gave it away, that you were a PS/PSE user. I had the same issue, when I first did Video editing, after decades of using PS. "Where are my Layers?"

As for the scroll bars, be prepared for some others not jumping out at you, and hiding important things. A few of the Panels have to be scrolled, regardless of how large they are, so always look for scroll bars.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Layers
                    fmihaylo1 Level 1

Thanks! Frustrating, I spent hours trying to figure it out.  I was looking at the index and table of contents of books on Amazon and they had nothing on levels.  YouTube wasn't any better.  I just ordered a camcorder and want to start doing some Chroma key processingK

• 7. Re: Layers
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have a look at my Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com. (Just go to the site and type "Basic Training" in the product search box.)

And, if you really want to master this program, check out my books on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

• 8. Re: Layers
                        fmihaylo1 Level 1

Thanks, I will.

• 9. Re: Layers
                          fmihaylo1 Level 1

Another quick question.  Should I be upgrading to Version 9?

• 10. Re: Layers
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

That is a good question.

Many users (here at least) feel that it is a better version, on many fronts. It seems to have refined things on a few issues, added general stability and added some useful new features.

I would recommend downloading the trial and testing it. Might be well worth the effort to you, or maybe not offer anything that you do not already have.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Layers
                              fmihaylo1 Level 1

Hi Steve:

I imported still photos into Premier Elements 8 and they look terrible when I play the video.  I used large and small jpg files.  I also tried bmp and gif files.  Nothing looks good.  Any ideas?

Thanks

• 12. Re: Layers
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

When you say that you used "large and small" images, what were the pixel x pixel dimensions of those? What is the Frame Size of your Project, set with the Preset at New Project?

For tips on Scaling still images, this ARTICLE should prove useful.

Next, JPEG is a compressed format already, so Scaling those images in PS, or PSE and then doing a Save_As PSD will keep things as good, as it will get.

Also, when viewing a DV Video on a high-rez, progressive computer monitor will never look as good as viewing that image in say Photoshop.

Last, Rt-click on your Program Monitor, and choose 100% for the magnification. It is probably set to Fit. You will now need to resize the Program Monitor to fill it, but check the quality again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Layers
                                  fmihaylo1 Level 1

Thanks for your response.  The jpg images I used were 480x600 and 1920x2560.  The frame size is 480x600.

• 14. Re: Layers
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, those smaller images should not require any Scaling, and the bigger ones, while larger than they need to be are not THAT large.

Do the smaller JPEG's look better than the larger ones?

Did you look at the Program Monitor at 100%? Was that any better?

Remember, you are probably looking at Interlaced, low-rez material on a progressive, high-rez computer monitor, so it will never look as good, as it would from a DVD, played on a CRT TV, where the material will be displayed Interlaced, and at the proper resolution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Layers
                                      nealeh Level 5

And in addition to Bill's note on 100% magnification, make sure your screen resolution is set to the native resolution of the monitor.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale
                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 16. Re: Layers
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Great point. I had forgotten that.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Layers
                                          fmihaylo1 Level 1

The pictures look ok in the still mode.  When they are reduced in size and placed in a small portion of the video, they still look ok in the still mode.  It's when I play the video that they deteriorate.  I also created a flyer in a desktop publisher program (Microsoft Publisher) and saved it as a jpg file.  Again, it looks ok in the still mode but drastically deteriorates when I play the video.  Hopefully, this makes sense.

• 18. Re: Layers
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, before playback, look at the top of the Timeline, above those Clips. Do you see a red line? If so, hit the Enter key to Render for smoothest, best playback. Does that improve things?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Layers
                                              fmihaylo1 Level 1

Additionally, I rendered it in a mpeg formatted file and then played it back on my computer to see what it looked like.  The video portion in the background looked fine.  It was the still photos in the video that didn't look good.

• 20. Re: Layers
                                                fmihaylo1 Level 1

Did it but it didn't seem to make a difference.