6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 9:33 PM by wilderfan

Vancouver Users Group ?

wilderfan

Are there any windows-based CS5 users located in Vancouver, Canada?

I haven't bought the software yet and will also need to upgrade my hardware to run CS5.

Before splurging, I'd like to be able to talk to some local users, if possible.

• 1. Re: Vancouver Users Group ?
          Mortimer IOU Level 2

You can go here http://groups.adobe.com/pages/usergroups to search for groups.

There actually are not very many Premiere user groups compared to other products. I don't even see one in Seattle. But if you talk to someone in a local group, they might be able to put you in touch with Pr users.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Vancouver Users Group ?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Though not up where you are, Eric Addison, a frequent contributor here, runs one down in San Diego. He might have some direct contact with other user groups around the globe. Perhaps drop him a PM (Personal Message).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Vancouver Users Group ?
              Eric Addison User Group Manager

Did someone say my name?

It's rather sad, but there just aren't that many PPro based user groups out there. There are a few I think that are based around the entire production suite and video, but we PPro users don't have the network that FCP users have...seems like almost every big city has a FCP user group.

Bill and Jerry are right - check the Adobe groups page and see what's in your area. And if you don't see one, consider starting one. That's what I did, and while it's been a lot of work, it's been really great. Adobe really does try and support their user groups, and they try and help out user group managers in many ways.I was curious how many people would actually show up, but we have developed a core group of regulars. We're not a really big group, but we are growing and our meetings are always fun and interesting. With PPro getting more attention and more users, I think we'll be seeing more people start showing up...as well as more user groups forming - at least I hope more form!

Good luck! If there's anything else I can help you with, feel free to let me know!

• 4. Re: Vancouver Users Group ?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Wow, that was quick!

You were the first person, that I thought of, and I figured that you could offer some help.

We did similar through our ASMP chapter in Denver, for Photoshop, way back about version 3.0. A local lab gave us space, and all sorts of incentives, plus Adobe was very supportive. Started slowly, but as more photographers discovered image manipulation/editing in PS, the ranks grew. Fun events, with a lot of great info being shared. Hope that the same does happen with PrPro, as its popularity grows. CS5 has taken that a long way.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

PS - that was not me holding up traffic on I-5 the other day, though I cannot convince Mitchell Lopez of that. Zonies get the blame for every traffic problem in the SD Area.

• 5. Re: Vancouver Users Group ?
                  Eric Addison User Group Manager

the_wine_snob wrote:

Zonies get the blame for every traffic problem in the SD Area.

I wouldn't say every traffic problem...we do get a lot of tourists from other places and they are they usually are too blame. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't minimize the Zoner problem.

• 6. Re: Vancouver Users Group ?
                    wilderfan Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.