3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 6:19 AM by Harm Millaard

help me to choose a portable pc for premiere pro cs4

YvesEdenity

hello,

i want to buy a new portable pc

my choice today is, for exemple  asus n71

with   i7 processeur   ...

dd 7200 tr/mn is "obligatoire" ?    5400 is enought ?

thanks for help

• 1. Re: help me to choose a portable pc for premiere pro cs4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

As long as it uses an i7 quad+ core with HT, has at least 8+ GB memory, at least 1280+ x 900+ resolution in each dimension, a nVidia 330M+ graphics card  with at least 1 GB VRAM and at least 2 separate 7200 RPM SATA disks or better and a eSATA port, you can use a portable.

Sager and Clevo make nice notebooks, starting around $ 4 K and ending over $ 10 K for a DTR.

This is assuming that somewhere in the future you will upgrade to CS5 and don't want to throw your investment away when doing so.

The Asus N71 is not powerfull enough.

• 2. Re: help me to choose a portable pc for premiere pro cs4
            YvesEdenity Level 1

thanks

i'm in no lucrative action , and   "small" budget !!

my computer :  intel q9300   / one dd  500g/7200 tr/mn +  external dd ....it's not a jet,  but it works ...

i'm looking for equivalent solution with a notebook between 1200/1500 € ...as possible ...

• 3. Re: help me to choose a portable pc for premiere pro cs4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look here: http://ppbm5.com/Benchmark5.html and notice where all the laptops, with the exception of a Sager end up. Also notice where a Q9450 (faster than your system) with an SSD and two extra disks end up in the ranking. 9 times slower than a fast system and you can assume that your own system with slower disks, will end up at being around 30 - 50 slower than a fast system, if properly tuned. Then a suboptimal notebook will likely end up at being around 50 - 80 times slower than a fast system

Is that worth the money?