15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 6:11 PM by Steve Grisetti

Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9

jeffgedgaud Level 1

I would like to compile a list of camcorders that people are not getting to work in Premiere Elements 9.

I ONLY WANT TO HEAR FROM THOSE WHO ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH A PARTICULAR CAMCORDER AND PREMIERE ELEMENTS 9.

I just want to list the camcorder make and model to see what camcorders are not working in the program. I am not looking for help and for those who are having problems you need to post a new thread about them.

I would like to use this list so those that have a specific camcorder will be able to see if others have had problems with getting the same model to work with the program.

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE WITH TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS OR TO QUESTION WHY I AM DOING THIS, ONLY POST WITH CAMCORDER MODEL AND BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM.

I have not been able to get the Genius G-Shot HD520 to work with Premiere Elements 9, video just does not show when capturing or importing.

• 1. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
          MissMoppett Level 1

Canon Legria HFS10 (in UK aka HFS100 I believe in US). This produces AVCHD. You cannot upload via the "Get Media" menu. There is a workround (see my many posts). It did not work with PE7 either and I have been in long discussion with Adobe but no solution in sight.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
            P_Forrest Level 1

I think you are looking at this the wrong way around.  Since there are tons of camcorders out of there of varying makes and years, it would be better to ask what camcorders work.  Everyone using this forum can easily then add their camcorder to the functioning list.  All other camcorders would be considered "suspect" and not tested.  This would be more useful and would avoid the lemons.

Petey

• 3. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Good points, Petey. But Jeff has advised us that he's not really looking for a discussion. He only wants to hear from people who've had problems connecting their camcorders to Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
                MissMoppett Level 1

Adobe Tec Support have today at last admitted to me that PE9 does not support my Canon HFS10. Premier Pro does and "maybe Adobe will issue an upgrade one day". So the workround suggested elsewhere gets round it.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
                  Ted Smith Level 3

Just about every SONY camera I have ever heard of work perfectly with PE9.

I have an old HC90 SD 720x576 and a CX350 1900x1080i AVCHD and they mix perfecty in the one HD project, using the old camera for closeups and larger objects that don't need detail.

Incidently in my opinion almost every model SONY make has a considerably better picture and performance than any of the other manufacturers for the same price.

Now being retired, I worked for 25 years in engineering in the TV broadcasting industry and I have looked at this very carefully.

Ted

• 6. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
                    donaldec48

My brand new Canon HD Vixia HFM30 is not recognized by Premiere Elements 9.  I can still record on a removable drive and import that video but it would be helpful to use the full function of Elements 9 with my camera seeing it in real time.

• 7. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
                      MissMoppett Level 1

If you go to my post (no. 24 right at bottom) http://forums.adobe.com/thread/735087?tstart=0 you'll see that I had the same problem with two Canons, currently the Legria HFS10. After months of faffing around Adobe at last admitted that it is nothing to do with AVCHD or connections but that "THEY HAVE A LIST" of camcorders they support and for some unknown reason they are not supporting these models. Pity they don't admit this on the box or advertising material.

• 8. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
                        Senex999

Hi Adobe-annoyed people

I recently installed PE9 but only tried to use today. For downloading, I have a couple of older Panasonic NV-DS60's. Neither of these camcorders worked and I thought it was a problem with the way I downloaded the software. But I get a driver error and a message informing me that camcorders used with PE9 must be capable of streaming video. Therefore I cannot load any video onto PE9 at all, so buying it was Adobe mistake No.3!!

I have uninstalled PE9 and re-installed PE7, which, although constantly crashing, at least allowed video to be downloaded. Anyone want a new version of PE9? It's as-yet unregistered.

• 9. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9

Do you really want to post this question to a 6-month-old unrelated thread, Senex?

You're more likely to get a response is you start your own thread. That is, if you actually want help. It sounds like you may not.

MiniDV is the ideal format for Premiere Elements, and it is the only format that always works every time. There are no drivers involved when the camcorder is attached to your computer via FireWire (never USB), except for the IEEE-1394 driver that is built into your operating system. If you are using Windows 7 64-bit, there is a known issue with its IEEE-1394 driver. You should look into it. Otherwise, a failure to recognize your camcorder has nothing to do with Premiere Elements.

I know of no other reason a miniDV camcorder would not work on a well-tuned, up-to-date system.

• 10. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
                            jeffgedgaud Level 1

Obviously the problem may be either computer or program but I think it is foolish and short sighted to instantly rule out PE9. I think the problem should be troubleshot and not instantly rule out the program he is trying to use.

Not to harp on an old topic but this is the problem I was having with many people here, many people who regularly post here automatically assume that Adobe programs could not be the problem and it has to be something with the computer or user.

I have had nothing but problems with Premiere Elements and even if people here don't want to admit it the program is not as good as you like to believe.

• 11. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9

You may well be right, Jeff. The program is definitely far from perfect.

But I'd be more inclined to presume the program is the cause of all of the problems if everyone suffered exactly the same problems consistently.

But since problematic behavior occurs inconsistently and sometimes never for some people, the better assumption would be that the problem is some other variable.

• 12. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
                                donaldec48 Level 1

Interesting that these posts came now.  The Adobe website claims that my Canon is fully supported but it will not show when I go to import.  Of course the work around is to use the software that came with the camcorder then just import the files like any other piece of a project.  Since Canon files have the .mts prefix and Premiere Elements "sees" them I wonder what it is that is blocking the program from doing it's job.  Perhaps the Canon software, in my case, Imagemixer 3, is doing the blocking.  Having said that, I like Premiere Elements and I really like Adobe's programs.  There is so much information and support on all their products I may have to ask them for a job.

• 13. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
                                  Ted Smith Level 3

I think it is always better to use the software that came with the camera to capture it's video. This surely must produce the best the camera can deliver.

Then all files imported into PE9 are (almost) the same and 'compatibility' is not such an issue.

Doing this, I can mix in the same project, SD AVI from a DVtape with full HD M2ts from a solid state camera with no problem at all.

• 14. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9
                                    Rodzilla1000

Sony- handycam DCR-hc30

DCR-hc35

• 15. Re: Camcorders that do not work in Premiere Elements 9

These two Sony models are miniDV camcorders, the ideal format for use with Premiere Elements.