Acrobat 5.0
      MS Office 2000
      Genetic postscript

However, right now I had upgrade my system specification:

Distiller 5.0
      Acrobat 5.0
      MS Office 2010
      Genetic Postscript

Equation Editor comes inbuild with Office 2010. So, I suppose no need to install the old one.

Now, everything is going smooth untill. I create a PDF file..

1) Opened the file which was created in 6.5 in 7

2) Created a PS file.

3) Created a PDF file.

Everything goes fine apart from the (equations its not getting converted properly. In the PDF is getting squeezed).

Please if anyone could help me on this.

• 1. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, but PM 7 is incompatible with Windows 7 as is Acrobat 5.

My suggestion is to upgrade to InDesign. http://amzn.to/cz2ZrN

InDesign is a modern pagelayout application and does have the ability to open Pagemaker files. Success will depend upon the file. Pagemaker is dead and all but buried.

Bob

• 2. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
            breath_hacker007 Level 1

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much. now you clear my issue. However, I am still stuck with the same issue in my work. I mean now WHAT...?

Now, I have over 100MB of ebook which was created in PM 6.5 and I want a alternative do my work. I mean I can't loose on my old files for sure. I even need to know which is a good application which can be 100% compatible with my work flow.

I can explain you what exactly I do.

1) We publish books which contents maths Equations and most of them like maths books diagrams and design all that study materials.

2) We also need to take references from the old files which was created in 6.5 and once the book in ready. We convert it to PDF and then send to print.

So, probably you need to help me in getting a application which can be a perfect replacement.

Thank you, Once again for your kind effort.

Take care.

• 3. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7

I already gave you that recommendation.

Bob

• 4. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
                BigJohnD Level 3

Your choices are:

1. to move on to Indesign or
                2. continue with PM on your old system. 

I think PM7 will run on Win98, though Win2K is much better.

The combination you're looking at on Win7 will be so fragile, it's not worth it.

• 5. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
                  Jay Chevako Level 3

You will not find a "perfect" replacment that will match your old workflow precisely, unless you stick with an older operating system. You may find a better system to use. Indesign has a bunch of mathtype plugins that are available, not cheap, but with much more capability than equation editor.

http://www.chartwellyorke.com/mathtype.html

http://www.itip-gmbh.eu/en/products/inmath/

http://www.mathmagic.com/

And I'm sure there are more.

Jay

• 6. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
                    breath_hacker007 Level 1

Hello Jay,

Thank you so very much. Appreciated, I would glad if you could help me bit more on migrating my old 6.5 files into In-design. Hope, you pretty good with In-Design.

Once again. Thanks a lot.

• 7. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
                      breath_hacker007 Level 1

Hello John,

Thanks a lot. I would look forward with the choice provided. I would get back if any issue while migrating my old files into In-Design.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
                        Jay Chevako Level 3

It's just a matter of buckling down and doing it. When I switched over from Pagemaker, I first recreated the templates for the magazines I was working on. I opened the pagemaker files in indesign, and copied some of the elements into a new template. Conversion of pagemaker files ranges from almost perfect to a real mess, mine were a bit mesy due to my use of baseline grids, but it didn't take too much work to fix.

Make sure your pagemaker files are as clean as possible, make sure you have the fonts you used loaded and that all the files are linked prior to trying to open it in Indesign.

Jay

• 10. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
                          breath_hacker007 Level 1

Hi Jay,

I have over 200GB of e-book which are in PM 6.5 version, Now we still using OS: 98 with all that old software on that system. However, we wanna move to PM 7 but we can't do that either as its not compatible with windows 7. So, I though of In-Design and sounds good to me.

Indeed, when we trying to open PM 6.5 into In-Design CS5. We getting bunch of "Error" which are regarding fonts that some fonts are missing that's it. So, eventually I copied all the fonts from the 98 machine and pasted in In-Design "fonts folder" but I am still getting the same fonts "Error" I am still wondering what to do. And, that 200GB of Data is very important for us. We use that data for reference in our latest books.

So, could you please advice me what to do in this situation. I am literally stuck and wondering what must be my next step.

Please help.

• 11. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
                            BigJohnD Level 3

breath_hacker007 wrote:

I copied all the fonts from the 98 machine and pasted in In-Design "fonts folder" but I am still getting the same fonts "Error" I am still wondering what to do.

You need to INSTALL the fonts using the Windows Installer.  Simply dumping them in an InDesign folder won't work.

You will also need admin rights to do so.

Windows 7 will accept TT, Type1 and OpenType fonts.

Detals here: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/TrueTypeInstall.mspx

• 12. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7

If they're in the ID fonts folder they should be fine for ID. They just won't work for any other app.

Bob

• 13. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7

PM and ID may well read the fonts differently. The fonts are there but ID will see them as a different name.

You need to use the find fonts feature to tell InDesign which fonts to use. You will need to do this for every file you open.

Bob

• 14. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
                                  breath_hacker007 Level 1

Hi John,

Finally, I had accomplish my fonts installation and it worked fine. Now no issues with fonts however a new issue error came with patterns.

--Tracking values were modified. Please check text composition in converted document.
                                  No fill patterns are supported at this time--.

I have equations in 6.5 I think his is what In-design call it patterns. Could you please help me in how to resolve this.

John, you did a fantastic Job. It really helped me.

• 15. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
                                    breath_hacker007 Level 1

Hi Bob,

Finally, I had accomplish my fonts  installation and it worked fine. Now no issues with fonts however a new  issue error came with patterns.

--Tracking values were modified. Please check text composition in converted document.
                                    No fill patterns are supported at this time--.

I have equations in 6.5 I think his is what In-design call it patterns. Could you please help me in how to resolve this.

Bob, you did a fantastic. It really helped me.

• 16. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7
                                      breath_hacker007 Level 1

Hello Bob,

I had send you the link in which I have that PM 6.5 and fonts files which I am trying to open in ID-CS5 I request if you could give a try from your end and let me know what is the issue. Indeed, that font issues has been resolved after installing all the fonts.

However, I still get this " Error: No fill patterns are supported at this time ". And, don't see fix.

link:  http://www.mediafire.com/?ogwf7v0wkplc3fk

• 17. Re: How to convert PM6.5 to 7

There is no "fix"

InDesign does not have a compatible feature for PM's fill.

I suggest taking a look at http://teacupsoftware.com/products/patternmaker1_0.html

Finally, and for your own benefit, please post any InDesign specific questions in the InDesign forum. It's one of the busiest forums with plenty of experts to help you.

Bob

1 person found this helpful