8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2010 9:40 AM by A.T. Romano

PRE9 Trial - missing features?

nealeh Level 5

Today's the last day of my trial but I have just noticed that it seems to be missing the Media Analyzer and Background Rendering features in Edit> Preferences> General.

I'm just wondering if others miss these features (that should be where the arrows are pointing) in the trial or is it just me?

1.png

Cheers,
      --
      Neale
      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 1. Re: PRE9 Trial - missing features?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I certainly don't miss Background Rendering, Neale. It was a bit of a disaster in version 8 -- and the first thing Adobe did when they issued the patch for this version was turn it off by default.

As for the Media Analyzer -- it's still there. It's just not as intrusive.

The Elements Organizer handles the function now, working automatically in the background. And, if you capture from a tape-base camcorder with the Break by Scene option selected, the program will run the Analyzer on each clip as you capture it. (This is not true if you select Break by Timecode.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PRE9 Trial - missing features?
            nealeh Level 5

OK I can see that I looked in the wrong place and that the Media Analyzer is in Organizer preferences (although even then it looks different from the screen shot on Page 370), and has a different name from the description on Page 349. Nothing serious - just some minor changes that they must have put in between Release Candidate and Retail Release.

But the screen shot on page 243 of your PSE/PRE book shows a check box for 'Enable Background Rendering' in Premier Edit> Preferences> General that is missing from my trial version ( see screen shot above). Where have they moved it to?

Cheers,
            --
            Neale

• 3. Re: PRE9 Trial - missing features?

Looks like you caught me, Neale. Occasionally Adobe makes a last-minute decision to remove a feature or change the interface and, because of the lag in publication time, it still appears in my book. This looks like one. Sorry.

But at least I know you're actually reading the book!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PRE9 Trial - missing features?
                nealeh Level 5

Does this mean that Background Rendering CANNOT be switched off?

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: PRE9 Trial - missing features?

Actually, I think it means it can't be turned ON!

• 6. Re: PRE9 Trial - missing features?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

You bring up an interesting point.

You wrote:

And, if you capture from a tape-base camcorder with the Break by Scene  option selected, the program will run the Analyzer on each clip as you  capture it. (This is not true if you select Break by Timecode.)

In Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, the Capture Window had a place to check or leave unchecked the AutoAnalzyer option there. And, you needed to select Split Clips in order to use AutoAnalyzer. Now in Premiere Elements 9, that AutoAnalzyer option is gone in the Capture Window.

With HDV Capture Firewire into Premiere Elements (any version), there is no Split Clip by Timecode opportunities. So the user is left with do not Split Clips or Split Clips by Content (Scene). So, you are telling us that if we do a HDV Capture Firewire into Premiere Elements 9, like it or not, the AutoAnalzyer is going to do its thing automatically. We have lost control over that decision, namely not to use that AutoAnalzyer feature during the HDV Capture. That is indeed unfortunate since many of the users of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 where the option existed were advised against using it in Capture process (here and elsewhere). And, according to your statement, then for DV Capture Firewire into Premiere Elements 9, like it or not, there is no AutoAnalyzer involved in the Capture process.

ATR

• 7. Re: PRE9 Trial - missing features?

I personally found the auto-analyzer on the Capture panel rather intrusive, when was capturing miniDV. Whenever I captured a video segment, I'd have to sit and wait several seconds for the program to analyze and Smart Tag it. So I don't miss that option at all, Tony!

• 8. Re: PRE9 Trial - missing features?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I think that I may have masked my major concern with the overview approach to my post.

What has me concerned is that, if you do HDV Capture Firewire into Premiere Elements 9 Capture Window, you are stuck with an automatic AutoAnalyzer with no place to turn it OFF. The only way to escape this automatic AutoAnalzyer in Premiere Elements 9 HDV Capture is to make sure you uncheck "Split Clip" and you do not get split clips.

I agree with the comments of you and others that use of the AutoAnalyzer feature in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Capture Window was intrusive. but at least you had the choice to turn it OFF.

ATR