7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 8:43 AM by Colin Brougham

Syncing separate video and audio sources

agent42b

I've got a video file containing video & camera audio. I've got 2 WAV files from the sound guy. I want to join or merge this media together before laying it down on the timeline so that all audio sources are laid town whenever I overley/insert edit the clip.

In FCP you simply set your "in point" on all MOV/WAV files, select all clips and "merge clips by in-point" and voila -- a new "merged clip" is created in the browser that you can lay down on the timeline.

Does such an option exist in Premiere? I've been trying all morning … If this option does not exist in Premiere what is the optimal worklow or syncing external audio files to your video?

• 1. Re: Syncing separate video and audio sources
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Premiere doesn't have a means of creating synced-and-merged files like FCP does. There is a bit of a workaround, though: you can use a sequence as though it was a clip. Just create a new sequence (or drag one of your video clips to the New Item icon in the Project Panel) with one of your video clips and sync up the the WAV audio to the video/camera audio. Mute the camera audio tracks, if you like. Now, you can drag that new sequence into your final sequence and edit it like it was a clip.

It's not perfect, but it's the most straightforward workaround we've got at this time.

• 2. Re: Syncing separate video and audio sources
            agent42b Level 1

That workaround won't work, as laying down a sequence in another sequence won't reveal the true sources of audio. 

However I've just found a hillarious workaround that's even better:

Do the "merge clips" function in FCP.  Export an XML of the merged clips.   Import XML into Premiere and voila -- the merged clips behave the same as in FCP. 

• 3. Re: Syncing separate video and audio sources
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Like I said: not perfect. And yours works if you have FCP...

I'm kind of surprised the merged clips work; Premiere can't combine video and audio from two different sources, at least not within the application. That's cool that it works, but I'd hammer on it for awhile before attempting any real editing. Premiere can get a little fidgety when importing FCP XML, particularly with features that are not common between PPro and FCP.

• 4. Re: Syncing separate video and audio sources
                agent42b Level 1

Oh, how short lived my laughter of success was!

The 'merged clip' XML import does indeed contain 4 audio tracks, but they are just 2 copies of the camera audio.  In short: does NOT work.  The external WAV sources don't make it into Premiere.

Such a shame.  I had been building up my workflow for Premiere Pro… even bought a CUDA enabled card to help this DSLR footage scream.  But without a merge-clips function this software puts it back on the shelf.

It's funny… both Ppro and FCP offer their own schedule of delayed gratification.  Premiere lets you edit video footage natively (ie. instant video gratification) with a painful audio syncing process afterwards.  FCP makes you convert your footage to prores, but once all is converted you can sync your audio and truly get creative the moment you lay it down on the timeline.

Perhaps I'm not giving Premiere a fair shot here… but I'd rather have all my audio sources aligned before putting anything down on the timeline.  The instant gratification of native editing is soured by the fact that you know a painful audio sync process is coming.

PS:  Thank you for letting me know of the "sequence within a sequence" trick.  It definitely would work, but since I edit my audio on Logic Pro afterwards I'm afraid that exporting an OMF or XML of the sequence won't work properly, since the true audio sources aren't shown on the timeline.

• 5. Re: Syncing separate video and audio sources
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Ah... yeah, see what I mean?

Here's another option, though still not as smoove as merged clips:

Make a sequence in which you'll sync all your video and dual system audio, and do just that. If you want to get rid of the camera audio when you're done, just right-click in the header area and delete the tracks that contain that audio (might want to duplicate your sync sequence beforehand, just in case). Now, for each synced set of clips, select them and go to Clip > Link (or map a shortcut if there isn't one already; I use Ctrl+L on the PC). This will allow you to move the synced audio and video as one unit, though you won't be able to create references to these in the Project Panel/bin.

However, you can stack two timeline panels, like this:

sequence-stack.png

... and then drag clips from the sync sequence into your edit sequence. The link relationship will remain after the drag. You can also double-click the clip after you drag it into the new sequence, and it will be loaded into the source monitor (as a sequence instance, not as an independent clip) and you can trim there; the audio and video will remain synced and linked.

Just another workflow option...

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Syncing separate video and audio sources
                    agent42b Level 1

Thanks for helping me with this.  Needless to say, I'm sure (at least, I hope) the Adobe team recognize this needs to be addressed.  Something tells me I'm not the first one to complain about this

• 7. Re: Syncing separate video and audio sources
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Something tells me I'm not the first one to complain about this

Almost assuredly you are not, but it never hurts to complain some more: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

The old adage of the squeaky wheel certainly holds true

BTW: saw your addition to your post about sending the audio to Logic. You're probably right: I doubt the nested sequence trick would work for that purpose. However, the latter method I posted would likely work fine, since your audio clips would be independently addressable sources.