6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2010 11:29 AM by curx

How about using a 60fps video for a smooth slow motion effect in a 30fps project ?

curx Level 1

Hey all,

I happen to have a video camera that is able to shoot either in 720p/60fps or 720p/30fps.
      As you guessed it, 60 fps mode is very useful for action sports when you want to do some slow motion effect running very smoothly.

I have few questions I would love to be answered, and I was not able to find answers till now.

Here they are :

1/ If I want my final video file to be, let's say, 25 fps, is it mandatory that my project is 25 fps too ?
      What will happen if I do a 30fps project and that I export to a 25fps file ? Does Premiere simply remove some extra frames ? Or will it lead to a longer video ? What consequence on the final result if frames are removed ? I mean, will I be able to see any difference or will the difference remain theorical ?

2/ Let's say I have both 30fps and 60fps videos. I set my project to 30fps. If I import my 60fps video to the timeline, it will be adjusted to 30fps and some frames disappear to keep the duration the same. Okay, this is clear to me.
      But now, what if I import my 60fps to the timeline, but set the speed to 50% ? Will Premiere apply the 50% to the original file (therefore I should have all the frames displayed on the timeline : 60/2=30 fps), or to the 30fps-adjusted file of the timeline, leading to some jerky footage?

3/ If I want to use my 60fps for slow motion purpose in my 30fps project, would it be a good idea to right-click on this file in the project windows, going to the "modify" menu to set the image frequency to 30fps ?
      Because while doing so, if I drag the file to the timeline, I noticed it would last 2 times longer (resulting in a slow motion video) Does that mean that ALL the frames of the original video are displayed ? Can someone tell me what exactly does Premiere ?

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what are the correct settings to chose in order to realise the best slow motion videos as possible.

Thanks in advance !

• 1. Re: How about using a 60fps video for a smooth slow motion effect in a 30fps project ?
          shooternz Level 6

With due respect...

You could actually do a test for some of the things you have asked considering you

have the camera and the NLE.

You will learn far more from your own "play" and be able evaluate the result to your own satisfaction.

Report back what you discover.

• 2. Re: How about using a 60fps video for a smooth slow motion effect in a 30fps project ?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree.

Do all the what if's in a testrun.

Not only will you see for yourself what it looks like and from the results determine the right settings for you.

You learn a lot by testing yourself.

• 3. Re: How about using a 60fps video for a smooth slow motion effect in a 30fps project ?
              curx Level 1

With due respect... this does not answer my question and does not help me that much , but anyway, thank you for the very constructive answer ^^.
              I'm not sure I would even have considered doing this by myself...

I hope I do not get this kind of answer because you feel like my question was silly or unpolite... To my mind this was a pretty serious question.

Shooternz, next time you need to go 150 km far away from where you are, go by feet rather than with a car, I'm sure you will have plenty of satisfaction too. Just cross the fingers for you not to be in a hurry while it's raining outside.

Well, I may be naive but i thought some experts already had the answer to this (I guess I'm not the only one who intend to do some slo mo), and would have been kind enough to share this knowledge with me. That's what sometimes happens in communities.

Please note I do not intend others to do the job for me, I'm just asking if someone already knows the answer.

I asked this question because I couldn't find any documentation about this, and I guess asking on internet was the next step, as testing would be like the last resort, being very time consuming.
              It was easy to check the effect of dragging a file to the timeline to see if it played normally or not, but it's definitely not to count and compare each frame of some sample file to find if some are lacking, or have been doubled or what....

I assume I would be very happy with just a simple theorical answer either...

So once again, if someone already has been into such questions, I would really pleased him or her to share or report what they experienced. Thanks in advance.

• 4. Re: How about using a 60fps video for a smooth slow motion effect in a 30fps project ?
                shooternz Level 6

There was absolutely no problem with your question.

Sorry you took such offense at my response to you.

(Its just the way I do things as a professional and maybe its why I am considered a professional )

FWIW: a test for this is very simple and not time consuming at all.

Shoot 2 identical scenes at the  2 frame rates

Create 2 sequences

Place both clips in each sequence.

Check your results.

15 minutes work ...lifetime of knowledge

Good luck

• 5. Re: How about using a 60fps video for a smooth slow motion effect in a 30fps project ?
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Check out this video from Jon Barrie. See if it helps you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebVQnMmMRVU

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How about using a 60fps video for a smooth slow motion effect in a 30fps project ?
                    curx Level 1

@shooternz : I didn't feel that offended, just that your answer did not look very constructive or helpful to me.
                    I'm doing my own tests regularly and learning everyday, and if I felt like I had to post my questions on a specialized forum, the reason was that I needed accurate and professional answers, even if it may have not been formulated correctly, but what can you expect from a french guy trying to write in english ?

But whatever.

@Kevin-Monahan : thank you so much for this link, Jon Barrie's video is a great tutorial and answered many of my wonderings + some extras like audio sync.

This was very helpful !

I took good notes of the use of the "interpret footage" function.