11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2010 10:36 AM by the_wine_snob

Selecting in the monitor

M K B Level 1

Hello, I am using Premiere Elements 7.

I want to move text on video track 4, but when I click on it, it selects the text in a higher track. Is there a way to easily select the lower tracks, or do I have to temporarily move them to a higher track, edit it, then move it back where it was? Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Selecting in the monitor
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

I assume that when you say "text," you mean a Title that you have created. Is that correct?

Are you working in Timeline View Mode, or Sceneline View Mode? If the latter, switch to the former, Timeline View Mode.

If that does not help, please post a screen-cap of your Timeline, showing the Clips and the offending Title.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Selecting in the monitor
            M K B Level 1

Hi, I always work in Timeline view. To show how little I know, I've never even looked into Scene view to know what it is.

Below is the screenshot you requested. The yellow-framed title is the one I want to select and move. I know that I can move it around using the properties box, but it's easier to drag n drop.

Thanks,

Mike

premiere.jpg

• 3. Re: Selecting in the monitor
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Thank you for the screen-cap. I do not see anything that would "lock" that Title. The Keyframed Opacity "fade" would not do it.

Now, have you possibly Grouped that Title with something else? Rt-click on it, and see if UnGroup is available.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] As for Sceneline View Mode, I have never used it either. I guess that if one is sorting though Clips, like slides on a light table, it would be useful, but I already have most of my material, ready to go into the Timeline, and Named and numbered to accommodate that. Sceneline is fine for some early work, but is very limiting. Just wanted to get that out of the way first.

• 4. Re: Selecting in the monitor
                M K B Level 1

Thanks for the explanation of the Scene view. When I started with Premiere Elements, there was no Scene View, so when it was introduced, I never bothered to check it out.

I don't think I relayed my issue very clearly. The clip isn't locked, I can move the clip. What I want to do is drag and drop the title physically on the screen, but since it's overlayed in the time line by other titles, it selects the highest one instead.

Thanks,

Mike

• 5. Re: Selecting in the monitor
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The only reason that I can come up with, for the ability to Select that Clip, is that it is Grouped with another, hence the Selection going to the Title above.

Question: if you cannot Select that Title, how are you moving it?

Though I have had my coffee, and have yet to declare "wine-thirty" here, I still think that I am missing something very important. Hope that others will see it, and then I will feel foolish.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Selecting in the monitor
                    M K B Level 1

Wine-thirty? That's afunny one; I'll have to remember to use that.

I can move the clip in the timeline, no problem. But what I want to do is move the title's location on the screen, the way I would by changing the position by using the properties window. But when I click on it in the monitor / preview window by clicking on it, it always selects the highest title in the layer order.

Thanks,

Mike

• 7. Re: Selecting in the monitor
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, now I get it.

Try this, Dbl-click on the Title in the Timeline, to Open it in the Titler. Use the Selection Tool to Select the Type, and drag that as is needed.

For a Title, one can also Select the Title, go to Effects>Edit Effects, and there you can use the fixed Effect>Motion>Position, to change the position of the Text in that Title.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Selecting in the monitor
                        M K B Level 1

That did it; I was single-clicking instead of double-clicking to open it in the titler. Thanks very much!

• 9. Re: Selecting in the monitor
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Thanks for your patience, and sorry about my not fully "getting" the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Selecting in the monitor
                            M K B Level 1

Hi Bill,

It is I who thank you for your patience!

God Bless Ya,

Mike

• 11. Re: Selecting in the monitor
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

You are most welcome. We do try around here, and usually get a user up and editing. Really great contributors here - then there is me...

Good luck,

Hunt