3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2010 3:23 PM by tommy oz

Previewing Audio before you import it???

tommy oz

Has anyone figured out how to preview your tracks before you import them into your session?  On the PC and on every audition version I've ever used, you could press a play button (or auto play) and listen to what it is exactly you are about to import into your session.  I cannot seem to find how to do this on MAC v.4.  I have to import the file and hope that it's the correct one.  Any suggestions??/

toz

• 1. Re: Previewing Audio before you import it???
          Charles VW Adobe Employee

There is functionality built-into OSX Finder that allows you to preview media files, called Quick Look.  There are two ways to do this.

First, is to just press the [ Spacebar ] key when an icon is selected in Finder (which also works in Finder-type dialogs like our File > Open... dialog).  You'll see a window popup with a basic player.

Screen shot 2010-11-11 at 3.31.37 PM.png

Second, you can use the Columns view and in the last column after selecting an icon, you can click on the Play button in the middle of the Preview icon and it will turn into a basic player as shown below.  This also works in our File > Open... dialog.

Screen shot 2010-11-11 at 3.31.55 PM.png

A WORD OF CAUTION: Using Quick Look has been known to cause crashes.  We think Apple may have fixed this problem in OSX 10.6.5.  Please let us know how this works for you.

• 2. Re: Previewing Audio before you import it???
            tommy oz Level 1

My quick look works great in the Finder, but not if I open a file with Audition open or in Audition. When i hit the space bar, it just does nothing. And if I hit command Y, it plays a default "frog" chirp as if its and error from MAC. I can toggle all the way over and preview the file, but it seems a bit more cumbersome that what I'm used to. Seems like an awful lot of mouse clicks to hear and preview files.  Any suggestions on why the space bar won't work in previewing files in Audition?

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: Previewing Audio before you import it???
              tommy oz Level 1

I just found a way around it. You can just click on the finder tab at the bottom, hit space bar to preview the file and just drag and drop the file onto the multitrack. No need to even open a file from Audition. Seems to be functioning just fine and super fast like I'm used to. Thx

Sent from my iPad