10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2010 12:04 PM by f00sion

ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9

f00sion

Does ACR 6.3 rc work with Elements 9?  When I try to install it, I get "Update is not applicable."

• 1. Re: ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When the actual update is issued shortly it will be compatible with PSE9 but the release candidate is only applicable to CS5 and Lightroom.

• 2. Re: ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9
            f00sion Level 1

Seems odd.  In any event, the DNG converter works fine.

• 3. Re: ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Correct, the current update mechanism for the public RC of the ACR plug-in is not designed to work with Elements.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9
                f00sion Level 1

Out of curiosity, why not?

• 5. Re: ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9
                  Level 4

f00sion wrote:

Out of curiosity, why not?

Simple:  you get what you pay for.  Compare the price of Elements to that of the real Photoshop.

• 6. Re: ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9
                    f00sion Level 1

That doesn't  make much sense.  Elements will get the release version of 6.3 and the DNG converter works in the meanwhile. At most, not being able to use the rc inconveniences a small number of users for a short amount of time, while denying Adobe whatever benefits there are to public testing of pre-release software. Obviously Adobe has some notion of how to write and test software , but cost seems a silly basis for access to public testing.

What would happen if I moved Elements to another machine already running 6.3 rc with LR and CS5?

• 7. Re: ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9
                      Level 4

f00sion wrote:

That doesn't  make much sense.  Elements will get the release version of 6.3…

The version that is eventually released for Elements will be as functionally limited as all other versions of the plug-in have always been when hosted by Elements.

The RC version is mostly to provide preliminary support for new cameras, not for "testing" purposes in the sense of traditional beta testing prerelease programs, that's a different channel.

f00sion wrote:

…What would happen if I moved Elements to another machine already running 6.3 rc with LR and CS5?

You'd be running ACR 6.2 hosted by Elements.  The install location of ACR 6.3RC for Ps is an entirely different one; Lightroom does not use the ACR plug-in at all and is totally irrelevant to this discussion or to any other topic in this ACR forum.

Sorry, I replied because I was under the mistaken impression you wanted information, not to argue.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 8. Re: ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9
                        ChrisN45
                        Can of worms could be open
                        AFAIK Elements 8/9 takes ACR plugin from:
                        (Win 32b)
                        x:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 9\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi
                        (or Win 64b)
                        x:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 9\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi
                        where "x" is system disk letter (C:)
                        So "kill" this plugin - move it to other folder or rename (change extension from .8bi to anything) or compress and delete original.
                        Download cameraraw6-3_r1_win_102510.zip (ACR 6.3rc)
                        Expand/decompress .zip file.
                        Go down to folder payloads\AdobeCameraRaw6.0All-201010124426 (not AdobeCameraRaw6.0All-x64-201010131318).
                        Expand/decompress file Assets2_1.zip.
                        Rename file "1003" to "Camera Raw.8bi"
                        Copy new plugin to its place.
                        Done
                        Cheers
                        --
                        Chris
                        1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9
                          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

It happens to be the way our update mechanism works at present.

• 10. Re: ACR 6.3 rc and PSE 9
                            f00sion Level 1

Thanks.  That was my guess for the official rationale.