4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2010 1:39 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8.0 Audio setting from stereo to mono

TKlopp Level 1

How do I either make my project mono from the beginning or make the output file I export mono in Premiere Elements 8.0. I have looked at the preferences, project settings, export settings, etc... and can't find this option. Help!

Thanks!

Ted

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Audio setting from stereo to mono
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

I do not think that there is a "pure" mono Export available.

Now, by "mono," do you mean just a single Audio stream, real mono, or a 2-channel stream from a mono source? Most playback devices have 2-channel systems, but the 2-channel stream does not have to be stereo. It can be 2-channel where the streams are identical. This sounds like mono, even though it is being played back as a 2-channel stream. As you can see, they are similar, though different.

For 2-channel mono, just use a 1-channel source, and it will mixed into a 2-channel stream. It will end up being 2-channel, but will sound like mono, as both channels are exactly the same. Real stereo is more than just the same signal in 2 channels.

If you want, you could get more richness by taking your mono source into an audio-editing program and just duplicating it for a 2-channel session. The Fill Left/Fill Right Audio Effects do similar, though there are some limitations. At least in PrPro, one needs a 2-channel file, though it can contain just one Audio stream. One then uses that, to Fill the other.

If you require "pure" mono, I am not sure of a format, that would allow that. Others might be able to help more.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Audio setting from stereo to mono
            TKlopp Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

Here's my situation... I have a video clip that is in stereo - with one person speaking in the left channel and one person speaking in the right channel. I am wondering if Premiere Elements will allow me to:

a) adjust the volume of the left channel independent of the right channel and vice-versa.

b) export to a file that has both speakers in each channel.

Also I have a video clip that has audio in only the left channel. I am wondering if Premiere Elements will allow me to:

a) wind up with that audio in both channels when it is exported.

Thanks for your help!

Ted

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Audio setting from stereo to mono
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is an easy way to make this happen, Ted.

Place a duplicate of this audio clip on your timeline, on another audio track, directly above its current position.

Now apply the Audio Effect Fill Left to one clip and Fill Right to the other.

This will make both the right and left tracks identical.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 Audio setting from stereo to mono
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve's method is so elegant and simple, that I cannot improve upon it.

I might have taken the Audio files into Audition (or the free Audacity), but I would have basically done the same thing, with more steps. Keeping everything in PrE, when possible, is usually the cleanest way.

Good luck,

Hunt