15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2010 10:31 AM by Charles VW

Feature request

RelabDevelopment

Congratulation with the release  of the beta. I have been looking for something similar to Audition on Mac for quite some time - so this is great news.

I do however have some feature requests (most of them available on the current Windows version).

#1 - Please implement the generate menu from the Windows version (Silence, Noise and Tones)

#2 - More customization options (colors and gamma for Spectral view)

#3 - The possibility to modified the individual samples when zoomed in the Waveform Editor

#4 - The possibility to right click on the individual samples for information about exact value (and for different formats)

#5 - Please implement the scientific filters (including elliptic filters)

#6 - Please implement the Convolution effect (I know we now have the Convolution Reverb, but it's quite different - you can't highlight some samples and use those as Impulses)

#7 - Intersample meters and intersample line on the actual Waveform Editor (A line close to the max/min value for the chosen format - everything above/below that line could distort in the D/A process)

#8 - I REALLY like the layered view in the Waveform Editor - would it be possible to extend that functionality? Multiple files can be layered?

#9 - The possibility to disable anti-aliasing of the waveform - it looks a bit off when it gets activated and the zoom function gets slower.

Im really looking forward to the final release (although I would still be using the Windows version because of the missing features)

• 1. Re: Feature request
          weirpaul

For what it's worth I also agree with these feature requests, particularly 1,3 and 5. I do miss my scientific filters which were great for removing very low frequencies.

• 2. Re: Feature request
            hmorango

Hello,

I would like to make some sugestions.

1. Being able to open windows .ses sessions on MAC

2. Being able to see the bars / beats as vertical lines on the multitrack.

3. Have along with the new ones, the old equalization presets on the graphic equalizer from 1.5 audition - i remember two i loved "home cinema" and "surround something".

4. Being able to place the mixer on the left sidebar, while still working on the multitrack on the main window.

Thanks,

hugo

• 3. Re: Feature request
              RelabDevelopment Level 1

Here's a fast mockup of possible implementation of boundary lines with gradients and intersample peak meters + 24bit overview of output (floats are converted to 24bit int - you're now able to see the bit representation of the audio and therefor possible dithering).

Mockup.jpg

http://www.relab.dk/Images/Audition/Mockup.jpg

• 4. Re: Feature request
                toddor

Relab, regarding "#9 - The possibility to disable anti-aliasing of the waveform - it looks a bit off when it gets activated and the zoom function gets slower."...

Can you elaborate?  What looks "off"?  And I'm not sure what you mean by "activated".

This anti-aliasing may degrade performance slightly, but not likely to be significant.  There are many other factors involved with the display performance differences between previous versions of Audition and this beta.

• 5. Re: Feature request
                  RelabDevelopment Level 1

The waveform is not anti-aliased on all zoom position depending on the file size. When completely zoomed out, the waveform is not anti-aliased and if you starts to zoom with the mouse wheel you get to a point where the waveform is zoomed enough for the anti-aliasing to kick in.

It's quite easy to see the shift from none anti-aliased lines to the anti-aliased lines (the line gets 2-3 pixels thick compared to just 1 pixel). And the overall zoom speed drops.

Cheers

Martin

• 6. Re: Feature request
                    RelabDevelopment Level 1

#10 - Regarding zoom. Would it be possible to deactivate (only redraw when you have finished the zoom) the continuous redraw of the Spectral view when the mouse pointer is in the actual Waveform Editor window and you use the mouse wheel? If you have the FFT size at 8192 taps it slows down the speed of the zoom in the Waveform Editor window. It's fine the Spectral view gets redrawn continuously when the mouse point is located in the Spectral view.

• 7. Re: Feature request
                      toddor Level 1

Hi Martin,

I think I understand now.  When you say that we are not drawing anti-aliased, you are refering to peak drawing when zoomed out.  When you say we *are* drawing anti-aliased, you are referring to sample dot and approximation curve drawing when zoomed way in.  Correct?

My earlier comment still applies.  There is a lot more going on here than anti-aliasing.  In fact, even when zoomed out, drawing vertical peak lines are being drawn in an anti-aliased fashion.  If you use a pixel zooming tool (such as Pixie), you will see that the tips of the peak lines are anti-aliased.  This makes the peak display more accurate, which is made more obvious when the waveform height is small.

So, it sounds like you are suggesting that when zoomed way in when we are drawing sample dots and an approximation curve, the drawing is too slow.  We've made some improvements on this in the past, and will take a closer look.  It's possible that we could offer an option to hide the approximation curve, which is the costly part here, regardless of anti-aliasing.  Btw, this was also quite slow in earlier versions of Audition (on Windows).

-Todd

• 8. Re: Feature request
                        RelabDevelopment Level 1

Hi Todd,

Yes - you do infact use anti-aliasing on the line, but the amount is not consistent. It seems that the anti-aliasing amount is higher in x direction compared to the y direction (slopes above 45 degrees)

Let us assume that we have less pixels to show than actual samples :

45-degrees.jpg

As you can see not all, segments of the line receive the same amount of anti-aliasing - when the slope is above 45 degrees the line only have 1 pixel of anti-aliasing (looks like none anti-aliasing).

Most of the time we actually have slopes above 45 degrees (still have less pixels than samples) :

None.jpg

When we have more pixels than actual samples - Audition are drawing the individual samples and approximation curve :

Anti.jpg

The jump from one state (less pixels) to the other (more pixels) is quite visible and looks like heavy anti-aliasing is applied.

Im not sure you should use too much time on the anti-aliasing routines at this point in time - Im just suggesting a setting in Preference where you could deactivate the anti-aliasing in the Waveform Editor.

I apologize for the nerdy posts.

Kind regards

Martin

• 9. Re: Feature request
                          AftersixSeven

lol I love nerdy posts. I'm the same way. Those details matter.

Good find.

• 10. Re: Feature request
                            toddor Level 1

No problem.  The more nerdy, the more likely I am to be interested in your posts! 

So, the first two screen shots in your previous post are still drawing peaks - fewer pixels than samples.  And when drawing peaks,  We always draw a series of vertical lines.  In many cases, at this zoom level (when the number of pixels is very close to the number of samples), the vertical lines are only a few pixels tall.  For any one vertical line, we only ever draw the very top-most and the very bottom-most pixel anti-aliased.  This is true whether you're zoomed way in (but still  pixels < samples) or zoomed way out.  In cases where the height of the vertical line is less than two pixels, the resulting "curve" at that location appears more anti-aliased because we are only showing the very top and very bottom of the vertical line's pixels - each of which is anti-aliased.

Once we get to the point where there are more pixels than samples (zoomed way in), an entirely different display algorithm is used.  In this case, we calcluate the curve which approximates what you're hearing (even though the sample values themselves are digital).  This curve calculation is costly.  The drawing of the curve is indeed anti-aliased, but that is not what makes the drawing slow.

Hopefully this explains things.  Please know that we will continue to optimize performance.  Keep the feedback coming!

-Todd

• 11. Re: Feature request: RMS Meter
                              pway74

Played around on Audition Beta today and its pretty amazing. Very excited.

A simple but useful tool I would like to see is an RMS Meter (or at least an option) wherein the RMS is displayed alongside the Peak Meter.

If this is already a feature, I didn't see it.

Message was edited by: pway74

• 12. Re: Feature request
                                _colin_ Adobe Employee

Martin,

If you're willing to share here, curious what type of work you use Audition for? Sounds like engineering/scientific but then I noticed you use the convolution effect. I am just wanting to put context to and understand your list better.

Regards,

Colin

• 13. Re: Feature request
                                  RelabDevelopment Level 1

Hi Colin,

You're correct - Our primary use of Cool Edit Pro/Audition is not directly music production, but rather development/scientific (analysis). Cool Edit Pro was the preferred audio program in the scientific world with multiple tools written specifically for the program and most papers are showing screenshots from Cool Edit Pro.

We use the Convolution effect for applying FIR filters (calculated by Matlab) and inverse functions - we can of course code our own (and probably will - switch between bruteforce for both float and int and FFT/iFFT).

We use the Generate functions for test signals.

I was actually trying to keep my requests related to music production, but apparently I failed

I could have mentioned way more feature requests related to development/analysis, but Im aware that your focus is different.

Btw. I like that Audition supports both VST and AU, since we can use it as fast testing (we still need to test we all the other DAW).

Kind regards

Martin

• 14. Re: Feature request
                                    RelabDevelopment Level 1

Hi Todd,

The overall zoom speed feels slower and not as smooth as the Windows versions (running in bootcamp) with same settings. Both versions uses approximation curves, the only difference is anti-aliasing - so I concluded it was related to the anti-aliasing.

Would it be possible to calculate a simple approximation curve (like 2x oversampllng) at loadtime, that could be used for the waveform peak? The peak mode can hide +6dB peaks which is only visible when you zoom in (the Meters doesn't catch it either - the reason for intersample peak meters).

Cheers

Martin

• 15. Re: Feature request
                                      Charles VW Adobe Employee

RelabDevelopment wrote:

You're correct - Our primary use of Cool Edit Pro/Audition is not directly music production, but rather development/scientific (analysis). Cool Edit Pro was the preferred audio program in the scientific world with multiple tools written specifically for the program and most papers are showing screenshots from Cool Edit Pro.

I could have mentioned way more feature requests related to development/analysis, but Im aware that your focus is different.

Martin

We're still always interested in hearing how we may help any potential customers.  Feel free to start a new thread on using Audition for Scientific applications, see if anyone else chimes in.  I know there are several people out there that use us in a scientific or engineering capacity, from codec manufacturers to marine biologists.