1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2010 4:04 AM by dradeke

Color consistency between project input and output video

JeffVar

I'm using Premiere to create a test/calibration video for use in some of our infrastructure and came across an issue I haven't been able to solve.

I feed in some known color cards (PNGs of known solid colors), hold them on the screen for a few seconds, then switch to the next.  I rendered my video with the following video settings:

Codec: Windows Media Video 9

Allow interlaced processing: false

Encoding passes: Two

Bitrate mode: Constant

Frame width: 640px

Frame height: 480px

Frame rate: 30fps

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square (1.0)

Render at maximum depth: true

Maximum bitrate: 2,048 kbps

Image quality: 100

Decoder complexity: Auto

Keyframe interval: 5 seconds

The problem becomes that in the output video, some colors like pure red (255,0,0) turn out really funky (236,27,36) whereas pure blue (0,0,255) renders perfect.  Magenta (255,0,255) turned out close but not exact (255,0,254).

Am I missing a setting that is telling it to compress?  Surely telling WMV that I want 255,0,0 should be a simple request.

• 1. Re: Color consistency between project input and output video
          dradeke Adobe Employee

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've found color shifts when outputting to web friendly formats.  The media player itself may also be an issue.  For example, when I output h.264 via AME, I often can get slight shifts in output color as a result.  I don't normally find this problem, when I output to more robust, editing type codecs such as P2, XDCAM, etc.

Also, Quicktime has known issues about gamma shifts, so if you happen to be playing via that, this could also be a part of your problem.

Try outputting the same files as a P2 and see what it looks like.

Hope this helps,

Dennis