7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2010 4:19 PM by the_wine_snob

Crop Effect settings?

bugbytes

How do I change the crop effect settings so I can crop using pixels rather than percentage?

• 1. Re: Crop Effect settings?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless it has been added in PrE 9, I do not think that there is a method for doing the Crop Effect by pixels. Now, you can do the math, based on your Frame Size, to determine the %.

Also, this ARTICLE might have something useful to you. Obviously, the included grids are not by pixels, but might be helpful. Also, the uploads were for SD material, and before I got around to doing alignment grids for HD, the Attach File function was removed from the forum for security reasons. Note: those are created in Photoshop, and it's easy to create your own and put them into place for your Crop Effect. When I do PiP, I always make grids specifically for those PiP elements.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Crop Effect settings?
            bugbytes Level 1

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS44DE71A2-B004-4103-BD28-54BB1BB42A27. html

Crop

The Crop effect trims rows of pixels from the edges of a clip and, if you select the Zoom option, automatically resizes the trimmed clip to its original dimensions. Use the slider controls to crop each edge of the clip separately. You can crop by pixels or clip percentage.

• 3. Re: Crop Effect settings?
              nealeh Level 5

In PRE7 there's no option for changing crop from % to px and I don't think this was changed in PRE9.

[EDIT] I stand corrected bugbytes.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Added [EDIT]

• 4. Re: Crop Effect settings?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Cool, and glad that the pixel settings have been added. In the "olden days," it was percentage only, and that was all that I could test with. Glad that I "hedged my bets."

Thanks for the post, as I just learned something new. Something to look forward to in the new version. As far as the "how," I wonder if it's like many of the options in PS, where one also includes the units? Or, it might be in Edit>Preferences, or a flyout menu in the Effects Control Panel? That, I cannot tell you.

Appreciated, and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Crop Effect settings?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

If I read the attached material above, it HAS been added. How one does the adjustment is unknown to me. Maybe Steve G. has some hints that he can share. I would assume that he did extensive testing on PrE 9 for his book (especially as it came out coincidentally with the release of the program... ). I took a few guesses on where/how one might make that change, but it could well be elsewhere.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Crop Effect settings?
                    nealeh Level 5

I'd kinda like to know how it's done as it is also in PRE7 Help as "You can crop by pixels or clip percentage". I don't see anything in Preferences (General or Project). But I bet it's one of those 'D'oh' things - once you see how, you wonder why you never noticed it before.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Crop Effect settings?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrE 4, I think that I clicked, Alt+clicked, Rt-clicked, etc., on everything, and could not get mine to go beyond %. My version would not accept anything but numbers, so unlike a lot of PS options, adding "pxl" did not work.

I cannot wait for the answer!

Good luck to us all,

Hunt