1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 16, 2010 8:21 PM by Todd_Kopriva

ImportREDServer.exe Running Multiple Instances

sologuy

When I launch Premiere CS5 it starts up 8 instances of ImportREDServer.exe (see attached). Is this normal? Also, when I am opening my project (1200+ R3D clips), it loads a few hundred then freezes (not responding) for 30 - 60 seconds, then loads a few hundred more, and so on. I don't know if these are related. However, when I open the CS4 version of the project in CS4 it loads much faster and smoother. Any thoughts?

Specs:

Premiere 5.0.2

Windows 7 64 bit

6GB RAM

i7 1.6GHz

Firewire 800 6TB LaCie connected via ExpressCard Adapter

RED Server.JPG

• 1. Re: ImportREDServer.exe Running Multiple Instances
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes, it is normal for multiple instances of ImporterREDServer to start---up to one per processor core.

You have a rather small amount of RAM for a computer with eight processors. If there are several instances of the RED importer running for loading hundreds of RED clips, it's going to take a while, especially if these instances are fighting over a small amount of RAM. Whenever software fights over RAM, you run into delays, especially if the contents of the RAM end up getting swapped to the hard disk.

I have 24GB of RAM in my home computer with the same number of processor cores that you have. It makes a great positive difference.