19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2010 11:39 AM by Colin Brougham

Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video

multiartcom37

Hello,

I'm trying to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video into Premiere Pro CS5, but I keep getting an error message that says "codec missing or unavailable". I've tried completely uninstalling and then reinstalling Premiere Pro. I tried opening the video without updating Premiere, and when that didn't work I tried updating it and then opening the video. But it still did not work. Does anyone have any another ideas for how to fix this problem?

P.S. Videos in other formats import okay. This format seems to be the only one having problems.

• 1. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Are you using a trial version or retail version?

• 2. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
            multiartcom37 Level 1

I'm using a student version purchased through my university.

• 3. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Are the files MP4s or MOVs? From a camera or another source? If camera, do you have a full folder structure, or just the video files? How are importing the files? Are you running the Premiere 5.0.2 update? Do XDCAM presets appear in the New Sequence window?

We can play Pin the Tail on the Answer for awhile, but it'll probably be faster if you can give as much relevant detail as you can muster...

• 4. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                multiartcom37 Level 1

Okay. The files are MOVs. I think they were transferred directly from a Sony HD camera. I don't have any folders, just all the files in one folder. Premiere has the 5.0.2 update. I'm running Premiere on Windows 7 professional 64 bit. I tried checking out the Premiere files under ProgramData > Adobe > Premiere Pro CS5 to see if they were intact, but the Configuration and Extension files appeared to the empty.

Then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling (I ran the CS5 cleanup script before reinstalling), and tried importing the video without the 5.0.2 update, but it didn't work, so I updated to 5.0.2 manually from the Adobe website. The XDCAM EX 1080i60 HQ video preset appears in the new sequence window, along with an XDCAM EX 1080i60 SP preset; I've tried both, but I get the same error message with both presets. I've been trying to import them through the file menu. I've also tried importing from the media browser, but the same "codecs missing or unavailable" message comes up. It also comes up when I try opening source preview. The properties of the video are XDCAM EX  1920 x 1080i 60   (35Mb/s VBR)   29.97 fps.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My Canon Vixia camera allows me to import INDIVIDUAL files (AVCHD, .MTS) and everything is there... also the MP4 files from a FlipHD, which uses the XDCAM preset

I think that your camera is one that requires an entire folder be copied from camera to computer, since some metadata in embedded in the folder structure

Go back to the camera and try that

• 6. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    The files are MOVs. I think they were transferred directly from a Sony HD camera.

Hmm... probably not. Sonys don't record directly to MOV with XDCAM EX, as far as I'm aware. The files were either recorded using a JVC camera (which records XDCAM EX to MOV containers), or they might have been rewrapped using the Sony Clip Browser (I think it does this), or they are the result of a Log and Transfer into Final Cut Pro. No matter which it is, Premiere should be able to import them; I can bring XDCAM EX MOVs from a JVC HM700 without a problem, though they will not playback on the Windows desktop:

xdcam-ex.png

As a test, try downloading a couple of the MOVs from here and see if they'll import. Those are from the JVC HM700, and these work fine in CS5.0.2 (at least, they do for me, on Windows 7). If they work, it's your file; if not, it's your installation.

The XDCAM EX 1080i60 HQ video preset appears in the new sequence window, along with an XDCAM EX 1080i60 SP preset; I've tried both, but I get the same error message with both presets.

As long as your preset list looks something like this:

presets.png

... you should be all set to go. There have been cases where updating Premiere caused it to revert to a trial status, which has the effect of limiting the formats that can be imported and played. Typically, in that case, you'll get the same error you're seeing, and the lack of certain presets (i.e. AVC-Intra, AVCHD, XDCAM, etc.) is a red flag that you're running in trial mode. If you don't see the list of presets here, let us know, and you'll get some direction to uninstall/clean/reinstall Premiere.

the same "codecs missing or unavailable" message comes up. It also comes up when I try opening source preview.

That's the troubling part. The preset you use for a particular sequence has no bearing on what you can or can't import and playback in a project, but if you're in trial mode, you're at a dead end.

Post back with your findings of these tests.

• 7. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

I think that your camera is one that requires an entire folder be copied from camera to computer, since some metadata in embedded in the folder structure

If they're MOVs, no. Those are self-contained and have no external dependencies the way something like XDCAM EX MP4s or P2 MXFs do. Just the MOVs themselves will suffice.

• 8. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                        richardrock Level 1

I am using XD CAM EX 1080 60i files from a Sony HD camera with Premiere CS5 on a PC and this is how I do it: In Premiere I pull down the File menu and select the ‘Browse in Bridge’ option. Then in Bridge I find THE FOLDER and drag it from Bridge and drop it in the Project Panel in Premiere. I let it run for a few seconds (I see a small yellow progress bar flashing in the lower right in Premiere). I close Bridge. Then I click ‘OK’on the Error “Import Failure, Not Supported’ warning. I twirl down (open) THE FOLDER in the Project Panel, and go to work!

For me THE FOLDER is a BPAV. However it also works with CLPR folders too.

Hope this works for you.

• 9. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                          multiartcom37 Level 1

Hi,

I downloaded the 1080i60 MOV sample video from that website, and it worked perfectly! Imported with no problems and played in the timeline. So it must be something with the other files. (I tried importing the original files through Bridge, and they still gave me errors.) I'm not sure what's wrong with them, but it's great knowing the software is working fine. Thanks so much for all your help!

• 10. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Bridge won't play these clips back, unfortunately--only Premiere has the decoding capability.

Download MediaInfo (Google it) and run a report in sheet view. Post the report here; there might be some clues as to why these are not working in that report. I have an idea, but want to check something out first.

Would it be possible to upload a short sample clip somewhere for testing?

• 11. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                              multiartcom37 Level 1

Here is the report I got from MediaInfo sheet view. Some of the videos have different source mediums (some list Untitled, like this one, others list USBTRANSFER).

Complete name                    : \Documents\VirtualTourPRJ\Videos\Using\roll out\Library_BR1.mov

Format                           : MPEG-4
                              Format_Commercial_IfAny          : XDCAM EX 35
                              Format profile                   : QuickTime
                              Codec ID                         : qt 
                              File size                        : 74.8 MiB
                              Duration                         : 17s 283ms
                              Overall bit rate                 : 36.3 Mbps
                              Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-07-22 20:32:57
                              Tagged date                      : UTC 2010-07-22 20:32:57
                              Writing library                  : Apple QuickTime
                              Original source medium           : Untitled
                              ©TSC                             : 2997
                              ©TSZ                             : 100

I also exported a text file of the report; it's really long, let me know if I should be posting that instead. I don't know how to upload a sample clip, though.

• 12. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

I also exported a text file of the report; it's really long, let me know if I should be posting that instead. I don't know how to upload a sample clip, though.

Yes please... and if you've got reports from different files that show different results, post those--you can send them to me in a PM, if you like. The fact that the report says:

...means that these (or at least, this clip) are from either an FCP export or a Log and Transfer into FCP. I've asked an FCP user to send me a test clip, unless you use something like MediaFire to upload a clip.

• 13. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                                  multiartcom37 Level 1

Here is the first report:

General
                                  Complete name                    : C:\Users\Carolyn\Documents\VirtualTourPRJ\Videos\Using\roll out\Library_BR1.mov
                                  File size                        : 74.8 MiB
                                  Overall bit rate                 : 36.3 Mbps
                                  Original source medium           : Untitled

Video
                                  ID                               : 1
                                  Format                           : MPEG Video
                                  Format version                   : Version 2
                                  Format profile                   : Main@High
                                  Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
                                  Format settings, Matrix          : Default
                                  Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=15
                                  Codec ID                         : xdvb
                                  Codec ID/Hint                    : XDCAM
                                  Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                                  Bit rate                         : 35.0 Mbps
                                  Width                            : 1 888 pixels
                                  Original width                   : 1 920 pixels
                                  Height                           : 1 062 pixels
                                  Original height                  : 1 080 pixels
                                  Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                                  Frame rate mode                  : Constant
                                  Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
                                  Standard                         : Component
                                  Color space                      : YUV
                                  Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
                                  Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                                  Scan type                        : Interlaced
                                  Scan order                       : Top Field First
                                  Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.582
                                  Stream size                      : 71.5 MiB (96%)
                                  Language                         : English

Audio #1
                                  ID                               : 2
                                  Format                           : PCM
                                  Format settings, Endianness      : Little
                                  Format settings, Sign            : Signed
                                  Codec ID                         : sowt
                                  Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                                  Bit rate                         : 768 Kbps
                                  Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
                                  Channel positions                : Front: L
                                  Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                                  Bit depth                        : 16 bits
                                  Stream size                      : 1.58 MiB (2%)

Audio #2
                                  ID                               : 3
                                  Channel positions                : Front: R
                                  Stream size                      : 1.58 MiB (2%)

Menu
                                  ID                               : 4

And here is the second report:

General
                                  Complete name                    : C:\Users\Carolyn\Documents\VirtualTourPRJ\Videos\Using\roll out\Gospel_Choir_BR2.mov
                                  File size                        : 77.3 MiB
                                  Duration                         : 17s 917ms
                                  Overall bit rate                 : 36.2 Mbps
                                  Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-05-10 22:22:03
                                  Tagged date                      : UTC 2010-05-10 22:22:04
                                  Original source medium           : USBTRANSFER

Video
                                  ID                               : 1
                                  Format                           : MPEG Video
                                  Format version                   : Version 2
                                  Format profile                   : Main@High
                                  Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
                                  Format settings, Matrix          : Default
                                  Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=15
                                  Codec ID                         : xdvb
                                  Codec ID/Hint                    : XDCAM
                                  Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                                  Bit rate                         : 35.0 Mbps
                                  Width                            : 1 888 pixels
                                  Original width                   : 1 920 pixels
                                  Height                           : 1 062 pixels
                                  Original height                  : 1 080 pixels
                                  Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                                  Frame rate mode                  : Constant
                                  Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
                                  Standard                         : Component
                                  Color space                      : YUV
                                  Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
                                  Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                                  Scan type                        : Interlaced
                                  Scan order                       : Top Field First
                                  Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.582
                                  Stream size                      : 73.9 MiB (96%)
                                  Tagged date                      : UTC 2010-05-10 22:22:03

Audio #1
                                  ID                               : 2
                                  Channel positions                : Front: L
                                  Stream size                      : 1.64 MiB (2%)

Audio #2
                                  ID                               : 3
                                  Channel positions                : Front: R
                                  Stream size                      : 1.64 MiB (2%)

Menu
                                  ID                               : 4
                                  Tagged date                      : UTC 2010-05-10 22:22:04

The only difference I can find between the two is that the first one lists Original source medium as Untitled and the second lists it as USBTRANSFER. I don't know if that makes a difference, though, so put them both up. All the clips seem to be either "Untitled" or "USBTRANSFER" for the source medium; everything else matches.

• 14. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Interesting. I just downloaded an exported XDCAM EX 1080i60 MOV (from FCP) and it imported into CS5 perfectly. My MediaInfo report on that clip is virtually identical (well, the properties that matter, anyway) to the ones you posted. The only difference is that the audio in your clips is dual mono, whereas the file I imported had a single stereo track--I can't see that making the difference, as I've imported MOVs with dual or even quad mono before.

I'm starting to think it's not the files, and maybe something else that is installed on your computer that is blocking access to these files. Do you have any third-party codecs or codec packs installed? Those have been known to cause issues with file support and stability.

Unfortunately, unless you can post a sample clip somewhere to be tested, it's basically a guessing game from here on out. Everything else checks out, so I don't know why these files won't import. Do you have an FTP client? I'll set up an upload folder on my FTP site, if so. Shoot me a PM with an email address, and I'll send you the information. I need to know what's going on now

• 15. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                                      multiartcom37 Level 1

As far as I know, I don't have any third-party codecs on my computer. I've tried the clips on various other computers with no success, but they were running CS4. I tried converting them from MOV to AVI; they would semi-import after that: the audio would play, but the video disappeared and was replaced with a big white square. I sent you an PM with my e-mail.

• 16. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

CS4 definitely won't open these--at least, not without something like Calibrated Software XD Decode plugins. It wasn't until CS5 when we got (well, some of us, apparently ) native XDCAM-in-QT support. The white video + OK audio is pretty typical of formats like this.

Do you have QT player installed? What version?

I sent you FTP details via email; let me know when a file is ready.

• 17. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                                          multiartcom37 Level 1

Yes, I have Quicktime on my computer. I'm not sure what version, but I only downloaded it couple of weeks ago, so it's probably 7.

• 18. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                                            richardrock Level 1

I don’t mean to be a nuisance but:

Be sure you have tried the method I suggested. I believe the way to open these files is by dragging and dropping (not importing) their containing folder into premiere (not individual files) and

going through the error; not around it. That is, you will get an error msg, give premiere a few seconds to do its thing, it works.

• 19. Re: Unable to import XDCAM EX 1080i60 video
                                              Colin Brougham Level 6

I don't mean to be a nuisance, either, but if you would have bothered to have read the whole thread instead of just the first post, you'd know that these are not camera-sourced clips in a BPAV folder, but are MOVs that have gone through a rewrapping. They don't import, regardless of the way that one tries to import them.