11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 9:42 AM by Harbs.

CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?

xldperigee1

Hello,

Is it possible to write an extension with CS5 Extension Builder for Indesign Server? It works fine with Indesign Desktop for me, but I'm ot sure for the Server version. Spend time to search on the web, without results.Just found this note in "indesign_cs5_server_scripting_guide.pdf" : You can use the  ExtendScript Toolkit to create JavaScript scripts explicitly for InDesign  Server, or you can use the Creative Suite Extension Builder (CS Extension  Builder) to develop CS extensions in ActionScript. CS extensions are  Flash-based (SWF) and can potentially work in a variety of Creative Suite  applications.

Many thanks in advance,

David

• 1. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?
          zak.nelson Level 3

This is not currently possible in CS5.

If this is something you'd like to see in the future, please be vocal about your interest - that way we know where to focus our time.

• 2. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?
            xldperigee1 Level 1

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the answer. This is not good news for us, but again, thanks for the answer.

In few words, we are a leading French software editor (www.perigee.fr). Our software is a database that works with Indesign (using a C++ plugin), and manage pictures, text blocs, tables from PIM & DAM mgt.

We are working on a brand new software suite that will be based on both Indesign and Indesign Server. We intend to develop the Indesign UI in ActionScript and CS5 Extension Builder.

On the model side, we need something that works as well on both platforms. We tested several solutions (C++, Javascript) so far but we came to the conclusion that it would be ideal to use ActionScript.

If there is no solution for AS and Indesign Server, we'll have to mix four programming languages in our solution (Java, C++, ActionScript and some JavaScript). Alternatively we could delay part of our project depending on the availability of AS on Indesign Server.

We really like ActionScript and CS5 Extension Builder, and hopefully a solution to stay on our preferred languages: ActionScript and Java.

We also explored the full Java/Corba option but it is not supported on the non-server side. And, again, we believe that ActionScript is the best solution.

I hope our problem is clearer now.

Do you see anything we may have missed?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

David

• 3. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?
              mlavie Level 1

Hi,

We too most defintiely require AS Extension support for the Server! This is urgent for us!

• 4. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?
                xldperigee1 Level 1

Hi,

Any news about using ActionScript with Indesign Server?

Finally, the main args for use ActionScript with the Server (as in Desktop) are the ActionScript/Flash capabilities to very well manage data structures and data communications.

• 5. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?
                  mlavie Level 1

We need this very much, too! Any news on this front?

• 6. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?
                    pyskoluk

Hi there,

yes we also need it very much!

//pyso

• 7. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?
                      Harbs. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can someone explain why you need CS Extensions inside ID Server?

The main argument for CS Extensions is for augmenting the UI -- and ID Server has no UI! (See my blog post here: http://in-tools.com/article/thoughts-on-extending-the-creative-suite/)

If you really need to use Actionscript instead of Mac or Mindows specific programming languages (and I'm not sure why that would be), you can just write an AIR app and put that on your server.

Personally, I'd much prefer the CS Extension team to work on many issues other than ID Server support!

• 8. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?
                        mlavie Level 1

Has anyone heard anything from Adobe on this topic. People who use ActiveScript for business logic (and not primarily UI) most defintiely need this.

mlavie

• 9. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?

mlavie wrote:

People who use ActiveScript for business logic (and not primarily UI) most defintiely need this.

I don't get it.

Why would you need the code to run inside InDesign Server as an extension? If you really need Actionscript code, you can just write an AIR app.

Actonscript does not add functionality to the app itself beyond scripting, and if there's any performance penalty on adding Actionscript architecture to the app (and I'd bet there would be), I'd vote strongly against adding Actionscript support.

• 10. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?
                            mlavie Level 1

<IndesignServerNewbieAlert>

Hi Harbs,

If I want to write a system which creates InDesign pages with all sorts of PageItems, etc., on them, wouldn't I need a UI-less extension on the server to perform the logic? How else would the InDesign server know what I want it to produce?

</IndesignServerNewbieAlert>

• 11. Re: CS5 Extension Builder and Indesign Server ?

ExtendScript, Applescript or Visual Basic

Actionscript does not have any real advantages for server, and it has real disadvantages.

The primary ones being:

1) You need a sparate runtime to execute it. This has to add overhead to the app on some level. InDesign Server is written with efficiency and longevity in mind -- much more than InDesign Desktop.

2) You can't run uncompiled code. Using InDesign Server, you can send scripting code to ID Server via a SOAP call and have it run without installing a script of any kind.

The fact of the matter remains that InDesign scripting was designed with dynamically typed languages in mind, and getting Actionscript to work as a scripting language in InDesign is shoehorning it at best. For Desktop, there's clear advantages that an AIR type UI provides. For server, I just don't buy it. You are best off using the three main scripting languages...