12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 11:48 AM by Jerry62712

Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions

Jerry62712 Level 1

My unit is converting from Flash Builder 4 to the Eclipse version.  We are doing this as it seems that you can't get to ClearCase from FB4, you can't generate an EAR and you can't add the java plugins to it.  Note that we have not actually used FB4 although I'm familiar with FB3.

While FB4 w/Eclipse adds those features, it seems to lack some that was surprising.  #1 of those is there are no servers.  We use a java one started from within the IDE, but that seems more limited.  You can only "Run on the Web" using the main MXML and not from clicking in any of the MXMLs.  I'm not ever sure about the debugger.

Can I add servers to the downloaded FB4 plugin?

Can I add ClearCase to it?

Can I have an ability to generate an EAR from FB4?

Can I add plugins such as javaEE to FB4?

How can I see the license number in FB4 so I can move it to the FB4 plugin?

Is Flex Unit built into the FB4 plugin?

Is Network Monitor built into the FB4 plugin?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
          Jerry62712 Level 1

I did find the Network Monitor, now the question is does my license include that.

• 2. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
            Jerry62712 Level 1

Update:

I found out the debug was the same as the run, that is, available only if starting from the root and not from any mxml.  As this system was written using the cairngorm paradim, there are a lot of mxml in the "view" part of MVC.

So far not a single person has any idea of how to get servers or any of the other questions?  I don't expect anyone person to know everything, but I was hoping people with specific knowledge would jump in on their area of expertize.

• 3. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
              Devtron Level 3

add new servers? Do you mean software update servers? for eclipse?

i am completely new to Eclipse and this whole idea of auto-updating plugins. So please bear with me!

but i know if FB4, you can go to HELP-->INSTALL NEW SOFTWARE and add your server URLs there. it keeps a list of them.

is that what you mean???

• 4. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
                Devtron Level 3
                How can I see the license number in FB4 so I can move it to the FB4 plugin?

I havent figured that out. It is in the registry somewhere. There is no easy LEGAL way of obtaining this. There are hack utilitys that will pull it out of the registry for you, but that's considered taboo.

The way I found my license was to login to my Adobe account and verify it that way. Adobe emailed us our licenses when we purchased them.

• 5. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
                  Jerry62712 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

What I'm talking about is the server that will run my Flex application on my local machine.  In FB3 you would have the choice of 6.0 or 6.1 as an example.  I have to compile the application under 6.0 to add it to the old version of Tomcat we are running or compile it under 6.1 to use the Websphere servers we have.

• 6. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
                    Jerry62712 Level 1

Worse case I'll just get the number from the guy that buys them here.  I'll have to uninstall FB4 (stand-a-lone) of course.  Currently, I think we have a license server that FB4 is pointing to.  We have a service contract with Adobe and they even feature some of the applications we have in their "look what people are doing" ads.

I'm currently working on a $3.5M federal mandated and paid for project so getting licenses isn't a big problem.  I'm just annoyed by the nag on the FB4/Eclipse screen.

• 7. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
                      drkstr_1 Level 4

FB4 should be able to load any Galileo (eclipse version 3.5) plugin just fine. There is no difference in the underlying platform. For example, I use my FB4 for Python and Google Web Toolkit (Java) development as well. Are you sure you're installing the plugins correctly? What problems are you running into specifically?

• 8. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
                        Jerry62712 Level 1

Sorry about the late reply.  Holiday time off as you might have guessed.

When I originally had a problem with adding the J2EE to Flash Builder I contacted Adobe (our rep) and was told that that was a problem.  Being almost marginally intelligent, I assume he knows more than I do.  Our contractors, Deloitte Touch, use the FB plugin for Eclipse to have one program do both the java and the flex stuff in this new system.

After some false starts, we were able to duplicate their success with this method.  But I can't see how to add the servers that I have with Flex Builder (3) in this configuration.  Deloitte uses a java program to act as a server, but I'd like to use the same server setup as Flex Builder (4) with Flash Builder (Flex4).  And of course I have to transfer my license from Flash Builder (Flex4) to the Eclipse/FB trial version.

• 9. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
                          Jerry62712 Level 1

Java plugin for Flash Builder:

Hopefully I can more fully give a reply now.  I don't see any place in FB4 to plug in the java program.

• 10. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
                            drkstr_1 Level 4

Hmm, maybe not officially "supported", but you can certainly install and run the Java tools in FB4...

Run FB4 as Administrator and go to help -> Install New Software

You want to add the Galileo repository (add site button)

http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo/  <--- thar it is

Once it updates the packages, knock yourself out with whatever packages you want. Dependencies are installed automatically. The Java Development Tools are under "Programming Languages". Java EE is under "Web XML and Java EE Development"

Cheers!

• 11. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
                              drkstr_1 Level 4

Admittedly, I've never actually used the J2EE package, just the native Java tools. I gave the J2EE plugin quick whirl just now and it installed in about 5 mins, no problem. It even changed to my Java perspective when I created a new J2EE project.

• 12. Re: Converting to FB/Eclipse Questions
                                Jerry62712 Level 1

I've been googling and trying to get a download since 12:45 (it's 1:45 local) and I'm giving up.  I don't know why every trail ends with a broken link or no downloadable files, but all of them that I've tried over the last hour have.