6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 6:32 PM by Guha2000

How to make colors look same in illustrator and Flash Builder

Guha2000 Level 1

We had a designer build out our UI using Adobe illustrator, and then tried to replicate the same hex color and alpha codes in Flash Builder- colors are looking very different on the same machine

We have used basic web colors but the problem persists. Any pointers on why this could happen?

• 1. Re: How to make colors look same in illustrator and Flash Builder
          joan_lafferty Adobe Employee

Are you using Flex 4? Have you tried to export the Illustrator file to the FXG format and then taken that FXG  into Flex?  I would try this to get my Flex app looking like the Illustrator design. The Illustrator file could be using blendmodes or different alphas for colors,  it could be a number of things that you will need to apply to your flex code.

Joan

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to make colors look same in illustrator and Flash Builder
            Guha2000 Level 1

Joan: Thanks for your suggestion

Yes- we are using Flash Builder 4

We didnt want to use fxg for very simple details like boxes- so are using skinnable containers with different layout properties to achieve the structure we wanted

We have checked the color and alpha properties in illustrator and set it same in terms of hexadecimal and alpha's- not too clear on the blendmode. Is there anything else (from your 'number of things')  that we need to look for to ensure same colors? Thanks again for your guidance

• 3. Re: How to make colors look same in illustrator and Flash Builder

I can't think of any suggestions w/o seeing the code. Do you think you could file a bug and attach your Illustrator file and your Flex code?

File bugs at http://bugs.adobe.com/flex

Joan

• 4. Re: How to make colors look same in illustrator and Flash Builder
                Guha2000 Level 1

Thanks Joan... we managed to figure out the cause to a large extent- problem

arisen by the way the layers were built in Illustrator vs Flashbuilder. I

still have the following questions, that we are currently handling via a

workaround

a) when I try to skin the container using SkinnableContainer, the skin

doesn't take effect- but works, when I use same skin with a BorderContainer.

Any idea of why this is so?

The code used is as below

<s:BorderContainer id="Banner" height="15%" width="100%"

skinClass="mySkins.newskin1">

<mx:Image id ="logo" source="assets/graphics/logo.png"

x="{0.018Banner.width}" y ="{.09Banner.height}"

height="{Banner.height*0.7}" maintainAspectRatio="true"

width="{Banner.width*0.085}"/>

<s:Label x="{0.065Banner.width }" y ="{.293Banner.height}"

fontFamily="Copperplate" fontSize="34" kerning="on" color="#666666"

text="EUREKA WORLD"/>

<s:Label x="{.88Banner.width}" y ="{.293Banner.height}" fontFamily="Arial"

fontSize="14" kerning="on" color="#666666" text="Help | Log Out"/>

<s:Label x="{.865Banner.width}" y ="{.45Banner.height}" fontFamily="Arial

Bold" fontSize="18" kerning="on" color="#666666" text="Welcome Gauri"/>

</s:BorderContainer>

Skin attached

b) we are trying to replicate the design from Illustrator(exported in fxg

format) and replicate in FlashBuilder. We would like to name the objects

meaningfully so we can connect the front-end with names in the fxg code.

Currently we see an objID. How do we name objects in Illustrator?

c) When we use a mx:vbox within a repeater to display contents of an array,

we had trouble skinning this for background color- compromise we reached was

to have the background color in the mx:vbox with a skinclass for the border

and shadow

Regards

• 5. Re: How to make colors look same in illustrator and Flash Builder

I don't see the skin file as an attachment.

• 6. Re: How to make colors look same in illustrator and Flash Builder
                    Guha2000 Level 1

Joan

is there a way to send an attachment- thought the mail attachment would

become some kind of link

I wasn't sure if I should have the attachment in the bug report