4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2010 7:30 AM by JJMack

Saving multiple copies of images in different folders

Yammer Level 4

I posted this in Photoshop Windows, but someone suggested it was a Scripting problem...

I've been trying to streamline my  workflow recently. I need to save six different copies (besides the raw  file) of each my keepers: one PSD, one aRGB JPEG (for stock), one sRGB  watermarked JPEG (for an online printing), one small watermarked JPEG  (for blog), one medium JPEG (for digital frame), and one medium framed  watermarked JPEG (for critique).

To do this, I have  created 7 actions: one Convert Profile, two Fit Image, one Sharpen, two  framing, and one watermark. I also take a snapshot of the image at two  stages, so I can repeat different actions on the same image state (it  seems quicker than duplicating the image). I save each JPEG with the  same name but in different folders (one for each use).

I  was quite pleased with this system, until I realised that I was still  having to muck about with the Save As dialogue every time I saved a  JPEG. Ideally, I want to land nicely in the right folder, and with the  correct file-type selected (JPEG, not PSD).

The problem  is, I can't fully automate the process because I have to make judgements  on the watermarking opacity and position, as well as the choice of  frame colour (black or white), and, besides, I'm not sure I can automate  the location and format for saving.

Can anyone suggest a way to make the saving of different copies in the right folders easier?

• 1. Re: Saving multiple copies of images in different folders
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Download Dr. Brown's Services. You can save your six images in two runs of the Dr. Browns Process 1-2-3.  Each run will save three image files for you.  Its easy to use and setup. Does most of what you want to do using  its dialog settings.  You can also add you own action for each of the processed images type.  If tou want to get into scripting you could modify the script to save up to six image files in a single run. His demo http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/1-2-3_SM.mov   The demo is in CS3 but applies also to CS5 download page  http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts.html look for CS5 Script: Dr. Brown's Services 2.0.4 

• 2. Re: Saving multiple copies of images in different folders
            Yammer Level 4

Thanks, JJMack. Much appreciated! I'll report back, once I've climbed the learning curve

• 3. Re: Saving multiple copies of images in different folders
              Yammer Level 4

It works very well!

The 3-process limitation isn't such a problem. I can save the unmarked versions in the first pass, add a watermark, and save two marked versions in a second pass, I still have to do the framed version manually.

The perfectionist in me is slightly disappointed that an action to start the script cannot load the settings and run it, but it's a hell of a lot faster than it was.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Saving multiple copies of images in different folders
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Yammer P wrote:

The perfectionist in me is slightly disappointed that an action to start the script cannot load the settings and run it, but it's a hell of a lot faster than it was.

Perfectionist that can be done.  You would need to write a plugin script that has programmed in action support. This plugin script should be somewhat like the Image processor script  that only does one image file with a simpler dialog then the Image processor Script.   Once you have this plugin record a an action that uses this script six times to create the image files you want.. That action will have recorded into it the six settings you want to pass to your plugin to create the six image files these setting will be set into your scripts dialog when the action is played and no dialog will be displayed . So you can then use Photoshop's Automate Batch to batch that action.  Settings will be loaded......

If you want to see a "Plugin Script"  Photoshop ships with one since CS3 in that version of Photoshop, Plugin support was added  its scripting support and the compiled version of Adobe's Fit Image Plugin was redone as a Photoshop Script Plugin.  I used that code as a model to create two plugin for myself. Quite a feet for me for I can not type and I don't know javascript I'm just a fearless hacker.

I have put together a package about crafting Photoshop Actions.  Included in that package are some Photoshop Scripts I hacked for use within Actions two are Pluguins a third plugin is my fixed version of Adobe's Fit Image script.  Yes Adobe has a bug in fit image and while I was in there I changed how images are interpolated.  Fit Image uses Bicubic.  My fit image uses Bicubic sharper or Bicubic smoother depending on how the image is being resized.  Some of the script are also what I call run twice scripts.  Sort of a save and restore for actions.  Run up front in an actions some documents setting are saved. The Action is then free to change these sttings and do its work. Running the script the second time will restore the original setting.  IMO action can contain logic for they can use scripts.

Actions are easy for me. Scripts are hard work for me anyway..

My Photoshop Packages can be downloaded from my Web site. http://www.mouseprints.net/Photoshop.html

Message was edited by: JJMack  to correct typos