4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 7:52 AM by dshriver1

Flash CS4 crashing when scrubbing playhead or using certain tools

dshriver1

I am currently having the unfortunate experience of learning Flash Pro as part of my degree program at school. I have been having a problem with the program crashing repeatedly. I have CS4 Web Premium, an educational discount edition, and am using it on an HP pc with an AMD Athlon and Nvidia v-card. I have had problems with it crashing on this computer when using tools such as the deco-tool and sometimes when transforming something. The real problem is when I try to use one of the Dell pc's at school to work on a file I have created at home on the HP. On 4 different machines at school Flash will crash when working on one of these files, especially when scrubbing the playhead on the timeline. The program will crash over and over, to the point where I can't really work on these files at school, which is a huge waste of time. I have heard of problems with corrupt fonts, and restoring preference files but also wanted to see if these problems sound familiar to anyone.

• 1. Re: Flash CS4 crashing when scrubbing playhead or using certain tools
          jendehaan Level 4

I would check a couple things - whether the Flash CS4 installations (the ones that crash) have been updated to 10.0.2, and secondly what the machine specs are (how much RAM). There were a number of issues (including crashing while scrubbing) that were worked on at great length for the updater.  If the updater has been installed and the machines have more than 2 gigs of ram, it would be great if you could link to a file that crashes while scrubbing so I can take a look.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Flash CS4 crashing when scrubbing playhead or using certain tools
            dshriver1 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I have the 10.0.2 Flash update on my pc, I'm not sure about the machines at school but I'm guessing they do as well. I also have 6gb of ram, and am running 64bit windows7. The pc's at school are new Dell's running widows7 and I would think they have at least 4gb of ram. I've attached a file that crashed when I scrubbed the playhead on the pc's at school. I don't have that problem at home. Thanks again for your help.

Dan

-

jdehaan <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

I would check a couple things - whether the Flash CS4 installations (the ones that crash) have been updated to 10.0.2, and secondly what the machine specs are (how much RAM). There were a number of issues (including crashing while scrubbing) that were worked on at great length for the updater.  If the updater has been installed and the machines have more than 2 gigs of ram, it would be great if you could link to a file that crashes while scrubbing so I can take a look.

Thanks.

>

• 3. Re: Flash CS4 crashing when scrubbing playhead or using certain tools
              jendehaan Level 4

Hey Dan,

Once the file is attached, I'll check it out. It would be very important information to verify for sure whether the school computers have the update. Many people don't have it, and the fixes were made in that release to address this exact problem. If there is 4g of ram, that wouldn't be the problem - I suspect the update might be the problem if the crash happens on one machine and not another.

Jen.

• 4. Re: Flash CS4 crashing when scrubbing playhead or using certain tools
                dshriver1 Level 1

Hi Jen,

I'm not sure if you got the file I sent, I attached it but got a delivery error message for that email. I am sending it again in a zip file. I also checked the computers at school and they do have the 10.0.2 update of Flash. Thanks again for your help.

-

jdehaan <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Hey Dan,

Once the file is attached, I'll check it out. It would be very important information to verify for sure whether the school computers have the update. Many people don't have it, and the fixes were made in that release to address this exact problem. If there is 4g of ram, that wouldn't be the problem - I suspect the update might be the problem if the crash happens on one machine and not another.

Jen.

>