4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2010 10:16 AM by r.rubio

Moving from 3.5 to 4.1 caused FlexShape to IUIComponent TypeCoercion error.

r.rubio Level 1

Following error occurs when loading a new application into a sandbox.  This code use to work in 3.5 but following error is produced when using 4.1sdk and flash builder 4.

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert mx.core::FlexShape@bd1f1f1 to mx.core.IUIComponent.

at mx.core::Container/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::addingChild()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\f ramework\src\mx\core\Container.as:3921]

at mx.core::Container/addChildAt()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\Cont ainer.as:2606]

at mx.core::Container/addChild()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\Contai ner.as:2534]

at mx.skins::RectangularBorder/initBackgroundImage()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framewor k\src\mx\skins\RectangularBorder.as:316]

at mx.skins::RectangularBorder/updateDisplayList()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\ src\mx\skins\RectangularBorder.as:226]

at mx.skins.halo::HaloBorder/updateDisplayList()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\sr c\mx\skins\halo\HaloBorder.as:228]

at mx.skins::ProgrammaticSkin/validateDisplayList()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework \src\mx\skins\ProgrammaticSkin.as:503]

at mx.managers::LayoutManager/validateDisplayList()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework \src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:663]

at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framewo rk\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:718]

at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiationCallback()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects \framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:1072]

• 1. Re: Moving from 3.5 to 4.1 caused FlexShape to IUIComponent TypeCoercion error.
          r.rubio Level 1

More info.

This occurs when executing initBackGroundImage call within RectangularBorder.as.

// To optimize memory use, we've declared RectangularBorder to be a Shape.

// As a result, it cannot have any children.

// Make the backgroundImage a sibling of this RectangularBorder,

// which is positioned just on top of the RectangularBorder.

var childrenList:IChildList = parent is IRawChildrenContainer ?

IRawChildrenContainer(parent).rawChildren :

IChildList(parent);

const backgroundMask:Shape = new FlexShape();

backgroundMask.name = "backgroundMask";

backgroundMask.x = 0;

backgroundMask.y = 0;

childrenList.addChild(backgroundMask);

In the case when loading a sandbox application childrenList is the Applicaiton container whoms addChild method expects an element of type IUIComponent.
          In file Container.as.
          // Throw an RTE if child is not an IUIComponent.
          var uiChild:IUIComponent = IUIComponent(child);
          Am i missing a step in 4.1 when loading a sandbox application?  Application is being loaded as child of boostrap.

• 2. Re: Moving from 3.5 to 4.1 caused FlexShape to IUIComponent TypeCoercion error.
            r.rubio Level 1

More info.

Error occurs when i create the sandbox application domain as a child of the boostrap.

i.e. loaderContext.applicationDomain = new ApplicationDomain(bootStrapAppDomain).

If i dont use the boostrap application domain i do not get the error but it is not loaded as a child of the bootstrap and i get  a different set of errors.

Any help greatly appreciated as to why loading as a child of bootstrap no longer works in 4.1.

• 3. Re: Moving from 3.5 to 4.1 caused FlexShape to IUIComponent TypeCoercion error.
              Flex harUI Adobe Employee

In Flex 4, you need to

-includes=mx.managers.systemClasses.MarshallingSupport