8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2010 12:25 AM by TrapperD

? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9

TrapperD

I cannot change the default for .pdf files from reader 6 to reader 9. Also I cannot remove reader 6. I am running Vista

• 1. Re: ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9
          pwillener Level 8

Remove Reader 6 with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459), then reinstall Reader 9.

• 2. Re: ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9
            TrapperD Level 1

I downloaded Windows Installer Cleanup Utility but did does not show Adobe Reader 6 in list of programs, it show Adobe Reader 9. This the same as when I use the windows program uninstall feature. I can not find Adobe reader 6 listed anywhere.

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 02:04:21 -0700

To:[email address deleted by host]

Subject: Adobe Reader ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9

Remove Reader 6 with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459), then reinstall Reader 9.

>

• 3. Re: ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9
              ultloozer

Using Control Panel -> Programs, uninstall all versions of Adobe Reader that you find in there.  Restart the machine.  Run the Windows Cleanup Utility to make sure that no entries for Reader remain in there.  Remove any that are.  Open Windows Explorer and navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe' if you are using a 64-bit version of Vista or 'C:\Program Files\Adobe' if you are using a 32-bit version.  Delete any folders for Reader 6 or Reader 9, basically anything following the format "Reader x' where x is a major version number or in some cases 'Acrobat Reader x'.  Restart the computer again and reinstall Reader 9.

• 4. Re: ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9
                TrapperD Level 1

Following our advice I removed all Reader 6 and Reader 9, then I downloaded Reader X.

I still can not set .pdf files to open with Reader X. What file in Reader X do I use, is it AcroRd32.exe

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 07:58:26 -0700

To: trapper_travers@hotmail.com

Subject: ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9

Using Control Panel -> Programs, uninstall all versions of Adobe Reader that you find in there.  Restart the machine.  Run the Windows Cleanup Utility to make sure that no entries for Reader remain in there.  Remove any that are.  Open Windows Explorer and navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe' if you are using a 64-bit version of Vista or 'C:\Program Files\Adobe' if you are using a 32-bit version.  Delete any folders for Reader 6 or Reader 9, basically anything following the format "Reader x' where x is a major version number or in some cases 'Acrobat Reader x'.  Restart the computer again and reinstall Reader 9.

>

• 5. Re: ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9
                  radzmar Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes AcroRdr32.exe is Adobe Reader.

You can also check the registry key that is for the default PDF viewer.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe

To have Adobe Reader X as default viewer it should contain the path to its exe such like:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"

• 6. Re: ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9
                    ultloozer Level 1

Normally, completely removing old versions and reinstalling the latest version will reassociate all applicable extensions for the program, but it appears to have failed in your case.  There may be something else going on with your machine that is producing this behavior.  You probably need to investigate that.  But what you can do to make sure the defaults are correct is click on the start orb and select 'Default Programs.'  Then select 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program.'  From the list of file types, select each of the following in turn: acrobatsecuritysettings, fdf, pdf, pdfxml, pdx, xdp, and xfdf.  If its default program is not Adobe Reader, click on the Change Program button and select Acrobat Reader from the list (you may need to expand the lower section to display more programs than it initially provides).  If Adobe Reader does not show up in the list, you will have to browse for it.  It should be located in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10\Reader\AcroRd32.exe or C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10\Reader\AcroRd32.exe.

This method is safer than manually editing the Root\Classes in the registry.

• 7. Re: ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9
                      rdrXuser Level 1

Can you please try this once.

1. Close all the Acrobat/Reader instances running.

2. Launch only Adobe Reader X.

3. Go to Edit -> Preferences.

4. Select 'General' category.

5. Click on 'Select Default PDF Handler'.

6.  It will display a list of products in dropdown to make them default. In  your case, it should be Adobe Reader X.

7. Select the product, the one you want to be default for opening pdf.

8. Click 'Apply'.

9. This will launch a wizard to do the required changes. Some changes might be applied after a system restart.

10. Once this is done, close all the running instances of Acrobat/Reader.

11. Double click on a pdf.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9
                        TrapperD Level 1

No success, followed your directions, then I double click a pdf document a window "open with" appears, I browse to

Adobe\reader 10.0\reader\AcroRd32 then click "open" nothing happens Reader 10 doesnot appear in "open with" window.

TrapperD

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 00:03:32 -0700

To: trapper_travers@hotmail.com

Subject: ? How do you change default for .pdf files from Reader 6 to reader 9

Can you please try this once.

1. Close all the Acrobat/Reader instances running.

2. Launch only Adobe Reader X.

3. Go to Edit -> Preferences.

4. Select 'General' category.

5. Click on 'Select Default PDF Handler'.

6.  It will display a list of products in dropdown to make them default. In  your case, it should be Adobe Reader X.

7. Select the product, the one you want to be default for opening pdf.

8. Click 'Apply'.

9. This will launch a wizard to do the required changes. Some changes might be applied after a system restart.

10. Once this is done, close all the running instances of Acrobat/Reader.

11. Double click on a pdf.

Thanks.

>