5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2010 8:56 AM by spinkowalski RSS

Menus loading time

spinkowalski

Hello there,

http://www.graemephotographer.com/testtwo/editorial-home.html#/_//image_1

When the page loads the menus seem a bit slow to load. Is there a way of speeding up the load time and stooping the menus from blinking each time a page loads from the menu??

This is a flash menu installed in a AP Div.

Any help/pointers gratefully received !

Cheers, Damien

• 1. Re: Menus loading time
          pziecina Community Member

Hi

The only way to do this is to possibly optimize the flash items so that they load faster. As for the 'blinking' each time a page is loaded, this is caused because the flash player, (required for flash content, menus or not) must initialise the items before it can display them.

The only real solution is to ask yourself if your really require the menus to be in flash and not html/css based.

PZ

• 2. Re: Menus loading time
            John Waller CommunityMVP

On my iPad, the site with the Flash menu cannot be viewed. I suggest using a CSS styled HTML menu to ensure a greater audience on mobile devices. In addition, Flash based menus are a chore to maintain and update compared to CSS styled menus.

• 3. Re: Menus loading time
              spinkowalski Community Member

Thanks guys,

I have installed the menu in a AP div over the top of a swf. I take it the broswer doesn't like this.

If I install html/css/java menus in the same AP div would I get the same problem?

If you have any ideas, again gratefully received.

Cheers, Damien

• 4. Re: Menus loading time
                MurraySummers CommunityMVP

If I install html/css/java menus in the same AP div would I get the same problem?

If you really mean "java" menus, yes.  If you mean javascript menus, maybe, depending on how the javascript is functioning.  The best bet would be to get rid of the Flash menus completely and use one of the well tested and supported commercial 'javascript-based' CSS menu systems, like those from projectseven (http://www.projectseven.com).

• 5. Re: Menus loading time
                  spinkowalski Community Member

Thanks Guys,

By the way, I've just tested my page http://www.graemephotographer.com/testtwo/commissions.html (menus taken out)

in Firefox on windows and nothing appears. The browser is not loading my main porfolio swf.

Sorry to be a pain, any ideas as to why this is happening?

Much appreciated, Damien