6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 1:17 PM by JustinGSEIWI2

How to apply Adobe Reader updates in correct sequence

JustinGSEIWI2 Level 1

I have read the update article listed below.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Reader_Update_QuickKey9.x.pdf

I find it confusing. I currently have the latest MSI of Adobe Reader 9.4 installed view group policy. I want to apply the latest update of 9.4.1. It sounds like I just need to apply each .msp file in order.

I guess it will all be clear if this question can be answered.

Do the quarterly updates have anything other then all of the out of cycle patches in them?

If they are just all of the out of cycle patches put together, then I won't be missing anything by just installing the .msp files in order. I am asking this because it says not to install quarterly updates over an .msp update.

Thanks,

Justin

• 1. Re: How to apply Adobe Reader updates in correct sequence
          morph2-21 Level 1

The document is confusing indeed. Here's what to do:

Since you already have Adobe Reader 9.4 installed (distributed via GPO), all you need to do is create an administrative installation point (AIP) for version 9.4.1 so you can deploy it to upgrade version 9.4.

Here's an example:

- Copy AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi (the 42MB MSI installation file) and AdbeRdrUpd941_all_incr.msp (the 3.24MB patch) to C:\Temp folder

- Create a new subfolder under C:\Temp folder (let's call it AdbeRdr941)

- Run this command:

msiexec /a C:\Temp\AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi

- When prompted, specify target drive C:\Temp\AdbeRdr941

- When the above process completes, run the following command to slipstream version 9.4.1 into 9.4.0:

msiexec /a C:\Temp\AdbeRdr941\AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi /p C:\Temp\AdbeRdrUpd941_all_incr.msp

Note: the above AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi in folder C:\Temp\AdbeRdr941 file size is about 3.8MB

- When prompted, once again the target is C:\Temp\AdbeRdr941

When the process completes, copy C:\Temp\AdbeRdr941 folder to a shared network folder and create a new GPO to distribute the new version. Hope that helps.

• 2. Re: How to apply Adobe Reader updates in correct sequence
            JustinGSEIWI2 Level 1

So if I do all of this, then in Group Policy I need to remove and uninstall the version 9.4 and then create a new instance that will install 9.4.1 independently?

I know I can also add the .msp file to group policy and assign it to update the existing 9.4 package to 9.4.1.

This is the easiest route. If I do that, what is the best way of doing it? Can I just add .msp files until the full .msi comes out again? Then I would uninstall everything and do a clean install of the .msi?

Thanks for all the help.

Justin

• 3. Re: How to apply Adobe Reader updates in correct sequence
              morph2-21 Level 1

You won't need to remove 9.4 at this time. The new software installation package will upgrade the current 9.4.0 installations. You may remove 9.4.0 package after all computers have been upgraded to 9.4.1.

AFAIK you can't add MSP file to GPO but I may be wrong. You must patch an AIP and either redeploy it or create a new installation package with the slipstreamed patch(es).

• 4. Re: How to apply Adobe Reader updates in correct sequence
                JustinGSEIWI2 Level 1

What is AFAIK?

I am able to use the .msp file to upgrade the .msi file from 9.4 to 9.4.1. You can add upgrades in group policy. I knew this from the start.

My question is can I just stack .msp files until the latest .msi comes out?

for example, I can upgrade and add three .msp files in a row. Then when 9.5 is released, I can uninstall all the files and install the 9.5 .msi.

Is that going to work well? If it does, then it will be a lot less work and more feasible.

Thanks,

Justin

• 5. Re: How to apply Adobe Reader updates in correct sequence
                  morph2-21 Level 1

AFAIK - as far as I know.

Ok so it sounds like there are several ways to deploy patch files that I'm not aware of. I admit I'm not a group policy expert. You sure can stack up MSP files until the next full (MSI) installer is released. The way I do it is to create a new AIP with the slipstreamed patch, as described in my first reply, and create a new software installation package to upgrade the current one. I leave the current packages intact until I'm absolutely sure that no computers need it any longer.

• 6. Re: How to apply Adobe Reader updates in correct sequence
                    JustinGSEIWI2 Level 1

I was wrong about being able to deploy .msp files via GPO. I was getting it confused with something else I had memory of. Sorry about that.

I was able to slip stream the install and now I have a 9.4.1. install. To deploy this, Can I simultaneously remote the GPO and tell it to immediately uninstall and add the new slipstreamed GPO and have it install?

Thanks,

Justin