11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 9:14 PM by IcedTea42

Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio

mkpta

Reader X doesn't render the portfoio in quite the same way as Reader 9, probably 'by design'. Unfortunately, my carefully constructed welcome page is now, for the most part, hidden. So the portfolio is now a bit of a mess. Grrr....

• 1. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio
          mkpta Level 1

I notice that the Welcome page icon from Reader 9 has disappearred from Reader X. Do i take it that the portfoilo Welcome overlay has been depreciated?

• 2. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio
            Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You are correct that the Acrobat X Family does not display Acrobat 9 PDF portfolios in the same way - it will respect the navigator embedded in the file but will use the new triple-mode method of displaying content, where clicking on a file thumbnail opens the document in Read Mode and access to the full content requires the file to be opened separately via the button on the right of the toolbar.

If a PDF portfolio created in Acrobat 9 has a welcome screen and/or a header, these WILL display in Acrobat X and Reader X, at least until you dismiss the welcome screen with the "Don't show again" checkbox.

The creation of PDF portfolios with welcome screens and dynamic content in headers (SWF files, links, etc) has been removed in Acrobat X.

• 3. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio
              mkpta Level 1

As I recall, for an Acrobat 9 portfolio, clicking on a thumbnail previews a PDF, from where one can open the document fully in Reader or Acrobat using a button in its header. So, unless I'm being a liitle dim (which is entirely possible), I'd suggest 'triple-mode' isn't new, but is - in the grand scheme of things - something of an improvement.

As for that welcome screen, you're right: It does display in Reader X. However, for my portfolios, it's overlaid by the preview pane, or crunched to the left, which isn't so great since it kinda looks more bug that Adobe doing its best.

That aside, your confirmation that welcome screens & headers have been, in effect, deprecriated is useful. The fix for my portfolios is now obvious.

As for X, well I suppose IT departments will distribute it eventually. An upgrade to Acrobat Pro X depends entirely on other factors, such as whether its integration with SharePoint and the standardization offerred by Actions can deliver an adequate ROI.

--M

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:39:12 -0700

To: mike_phillipsta@hotmail.com

Subject: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio

You are correct that the Acrobat X Family does not display Acrobat 9 PDF portfolios in the same way - it will respect the navigator embedded in the file but will use the new triple-mode method of displaying content, where clicking on a file thumbnail opens the document in Read Mode and access to the full content requires the file to be opened separately via the button on the right of the toolbar.

If a PDF portfolio created in Acrobat 9 has a welcome screen and/or a header, these WILL display in Acrobat X and Reader X, at least until you dismiss the welcome screen with the "Don't show again" checkbox.

The creation of PDF portfolios with welcome screens and dynamic content in headers (SWF files, links, etc) has been removed in Acrobat X.

>

• 4. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio
                As I recall, for an Acrobat 9 portfolio, clicking on a thumbnail previews a PDF, from where one can open the document fully in Reader or Acrobat using a button in its header. So, unless I'm being a liitle dim (which is entirely possible), I'd suggest 'triple-mode' isn't new, but is - in the grand scheme of things - something of an improvement.

Actually it is diffferent - and the third mode in triple-mode is not something you'll see in normal circumstances, but it's there all the same. It only appears when two member files in an Acrobat X portfolio link to each other. Easter Egg for Xmas.

When you double-click a card in Acrobat/Reader 9 portfolios, the file opens in full display mode but with the black portfolio menu strip along the toolbar. All forms, videos, layers, links etc. work as they would in any standalone file, and you can click to open the file as a spawned child application frame using the button on the right of the portfolio menu strip. It's not a preview.

In Acrobat/Reader X portfolios, double-clicking on a card opens a preview of the file in Reading Mode. Most interactivity (forms, etc.) is disabled until you choose to open the file in a new application frame, so it's a genuine "preview" up to that point.

When an Acrobat 9 portfolio is opened in Acrobat/Reader X, this latter mode is used but with compromises, so some more of the interactive elements appear and the preview is full-window rather than in a "lightbox-style" overlay.

• 5. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio
                  Michael ONeil Level 1

Was there an answer to this?

I too have many porfolios created in Acrobat Pro 9 that need to be viewed in Reader. I could arrange the files in the order I liked and used the sliding view layout. When the files were selected in full preview mode I could then use the left/right arrows and the portfolio was in a sense like a presentation. All of this worked fine with Adobe Reader 9 but I've just upgraded to Adobe Reader X and now there's no left/right arrows - I'm constantly having to return to the sliding view layout to go to the next file in the portfolio.

The option to show navigation panes in the tool bar is greyed out. I hope the answer is that I'm missing something and not an upgrade to Acrobat Pro X.

• 6. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio

There isn't "an answer" in the sense that what you're seeing is what you're supposed to be seeing. Acrobat X and Reader X will display PDF Portfolios created in Acrobat 9 using the new version of the user interface, which will therefore activate the three-stage preview and Reading Mode HUD as it does for any other Portfolio. The layout (the internal SWF file that defines how the documents animate, what background to display, etc.) of a v9 Portfolio will be respected, but the navigation tools are totally different now.

If your v9 documents are truly unusable in Reader X because of these changes, then you will indeed need to re-author the Portfolio using Acrobat X - however you won't get back to the way your Portfolios behaved when you were looking at them in Reader 9, and by upgrading to a version X layout they will only be openable in Acrobat/Reader 9.4.2 or X. Acrobat X can only create version X layouts (the styles available in v9 are *only* in v9) and Acrobat X layouts do not include Welcome screens or interactive content within headers.

• 7. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio
                      Michael ONeil Level 1

Cheers for the replies Dave - have been away.

Absolutley brilliant. Hats off to Adobe on this one.

Let me get this straight - Reader is free and is supposedly the industry standard way of viewing pdfs.

Professional user like myself are more likely to have Acrobat Pro allowing us to create forms, portfolios,gather data, add in dynamism, prepare for print, etc, When I save or finalise my pdfs I generally have an option to save with compatibility for older versions of Reader which in the main increases the file size rather than lose functions. I would expect any upgrade to the Pro version (whatever you want to call it) would give me more flexibility with what can be done with pdfs. In turn I expect you would need the latest version of Reader to read pdfs created in the the latest Pro version that might have functions in it that can only be read that way.

What I wouldn't expect is that upgrades to the Reader version would lose any reading capabilities of pdfs that already exist. To create a Reader version that can't 'properly' read older pdfs/portfolios in the way the older Reader version could makes these pdfs by default defunct and forces 'professional' users to upgrade their Pro version AND to re-create work that already exists.

No apart from one or two minor gripes with Adobe (CS4 Version Cue was rubbish compared to CS3) I have always liked Adobe but on this issue I completely fail to see the funny side.

• 8. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio

I appreciate that the new user interface in the Acrobat X Family is not loved by everyone, but it is what it is, and there's nothing you can do about it. If you open an old document, the software can't suddenly revert to the old user interface. It's like saying if you open a Word 2002 file in Word 2007, you want to lose all the ribbons.

A PDF Portfolio layout is *not* an application, so how it's rendered is subject to variation depending on the features and the chrome of the host application. Acrobat 9 PDF Portfolios can be opened in Acrobat X and Reader X, all the member files can be opened, and the UI does the best it can to replicate the layout functionality (even showing elements such as welcome screens, which are no longer available to author in Acrobat X). You can open PDF Portfolios in Nuance's reader software too, and they look and behave equally different there.

• 9. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio
                          skaydamico

Hi Dave,

I am really hoping you can help.  I have a ton of portfolios created in Acrobat Professional 9 I believe.  They have color schemes, headers with simple text or in some cases a jpg image, welcome screen etc.  They look beautiful and user friendly outside of Adobe X.  Now backgrounds appear gray, headers and welcome screen are gone and there are just small file folders lined up in a horizontal row across the screen.  How can I get my old portfolios to at least show a welcome header which has the name/purpose of the porfolio to display when opened in X?

Thanks so much - I work for a non-profit and do all of this myself as a non computer professional and we heavily rely upon these portfolios.

Stephanie

• 10. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio
                            xyz32 Level 1

I'm not sure If anyone will read this as I am ranting a little about this Adobe X. I have read thru countless threads, users complaining and other users defending. Regardless of which side one is one, there is no way I understand the removal or primary tools from a major program, without a replacement or equivalent.

True enough we cant expect a new version of software upon opening a file, to revert back to the interface that came with the original version. But lets not confuse that challenge with an excuse to remove key tools offered in an earlier version.

I spent many hours developing portfolios used for customer service purposes that were designed around having a welcome screen that gave novice users of the customer service documents a welcome - heads up on the a particular workflow.

Now, all I get is, welcome pages not supported.

Please, no excuses. I've been around for multiple decades of software changes and transitions, and regardless of which decade we want to refer to, this is just bad. Removal of key tools, hmmm.

• 11. Re: Reader X vs. Acrobat 9 Portfolio
                              IcedTea42 Level 1

Dave, I'm sorry to go off-topic but three years later, are you still around answering questions?

I just (Tuesday) received Acrobat XI Pro and created portfolios.

This morning, I posted them to my SharePoint site, tested it, and it worked (as I recall - that was 18 hours ago).

For about an hour.

Now neither I (administrator) nor anyone else can open the portfolio - when I get the blank screen, I press "reload" and get an error message that implies the problem is that the file name does not begin, "%PDF..."

Does that ring a bell?

Currently, I suspect I'll have to tell my colleagues to download the portfolios and use them locally.  If that's the case, could you please do me a solid (I've been working feverishly with overseas Help to get the app loaded on my computer for three days, and then created the portfolios - my mind is mush)  and remind me how best to minimize the size so they can more easily download 20+MB?

(Note: the demo I posted was under 3MB)

But should portfolios be able to be used online from SharePoint?  Because that would be much more convenient for my customers and I'd be able to update the portfolios with the latest documents on a regular basis.

Can you tell me what's up?  Please?

Thank you, thank you. Thank you.

Kim