5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2011 1:27 PM by Chris W. Griffith

Works from local directory, but deploy directory swf fails

zoimt23

Hello everyone. Phew, first post. I usually can solve my problems by just trying as long as possible but this one I cannot handle myself

So I just downloaded the Flash Catalyst Trial yesterday, build a cool page but when I import an flv...

After reading the first thread concerning this problem (here), I for sure followed the described steps in that thread. I reinstalled Flash Catalyst several times, without success. I also updated to the latest Version of Flash Catalyst, again without success. I dont have the exact same problem as the dude from the first post, but nevertheless, video playback fails.

Everything works fine as long as I run the Main.html or Main.swf from the local-directory but if i dare to try the same with the generated files from the web-deploy directory, neither the (less than 900 kb) intro loads, nor does the following video I intend to play.

I also tried the same with a single-state site that just holds a video and the problem resists. I figured that maybe, for any reason, the web-version must be deployed on a web-server. Hence I deployed it on my local web server, but this doesn't seem to help, either.

Any help appreciated,

Regards,

zoimt

• 1. Re: Works from local directory, but deploy directory swf fails
          Tanya Heins-xmersq

Hi Zoimt,

Can you share the url of where you deployed the files?  Or share the fxp?

Happy to take a look.

Tanya

• 2. Re: Works from local directory, but deploy directory swf fails
            zoimt23 Level 1

I'm sorry, but sharing the fxp is not an option. However, I am not perfectly sure if it is a major drawback if I just deploy the local directory online.

Nevertheless, some people with lower bandwidth mentioned that they have to wait a very long time until a video starts playing. Sadly, Catalyst doesn't seem to create a preloading progress bar for videos when using the files created for local view. Since I never saw the web-version running, I asked myself if this particular problem is tackled by the web-version. If that is the case, I would even reconsider my oppinion about sharing the fxp.

Any intel on the difference between local and web highly appreciated.

Regards,

zoimt

• 3. Re: Works from local directory, but deploy directory swf fails
              zoimt23 Level 1

Ok... I checked the Catalyst documentation without any friendly hint like "RTFM!!!" and it seems that the only difference is the file size as well as spliting the data into some Flex Components, which is both not interesting to me at this point, since the difference in size is less then 1 Mb anyway. Since there is no preloader preset for videos included, I just had to work around that.

Thanks for the help and have a nice day or night, depending on what side of the globe you guys hang around =)

For me, its good night, so good night!

zoimt

• 4. Re: Works from local directory, but deploy directory swf fails
                okgfd

Hello. I use trial version of flash catalyst CS5. I have similar problem, but some different. My project is working on flash catalyst and run to local. After I publish deploy to web and put in order on dreamwever, I previewed on browser. The animation was working very good, but sound and video wasn't working. my all media content isn't  appearing. (I tried different web browsers like explorer, firefox, opera but failed ). How can I solve that problem.

Thank for your attention.

• 5. Re: Works from local directory, but deploy directory swf fails
                  Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Somethings to check with the web version fails:

Check that the assets and their parent directories were uploaded.

Check that the directory's names match and have the proper case.

Check that your webhost supports that media type

Check that your webhost supports file above a certain size (if you have a large video)

Look at your browser's activity log for clues.

Chris