12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 11:54 AM by A.T. Romano

Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?

nealeh Level 5

When right-clicking an item in the Elements 9 Organizer the context sensitive menu includes "Edit with Photoshop Elements..." & "Edit with Premiere Elements...".

These "Edit with" dialogs look only for  PSE9 and PRE9. Is there a way to make the PRE link open up PRE7?

2.png

Cheers,
      --
      Neale
      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 1. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

It is not clear what you are up to here and why you would look for a way to do this, but....

From the body of your thread with its screenshot, the question almost sounded like you wanted to direct the Edit With Premiere Elements and Edit With Photoshop Elements options to a specific version of those programs given that you had multiple versions of that program installed on your computer. However, from the title of your thread, I get a different question, namely, "Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?"

Depending on the way you look at the latter and with a little "sending" help, the answer to that is YES. (Make believe there is no Photoshop Elements 7 involved, only Premiere Elements 7.0 and its Organize interface.

Open the Elements Organizer 9 accessed from Premiere Elements 9. Let us say that the Elements Organizer there contains video or photo A B C D.

Open Premiere Elements 7 to its Organize interface. (Point to remember for later on....In this version, Project is accessed under the Edit Mode.) Let us further say that the Organize interface shows thumbnails for video or photo E F G H.

We resize the windows for these two programs so that they can be seen at the same time on screen.

You can click and drag the thumbnail from the Premiere Elements 9 Elements Organizer into the Premiere Elements 7.0 Organize interface. When you do, you can see that it instantaneously gets placed in Project Media and then is quickly displayed in the Organize interface as the thumbnail. In other words, that file moved from Premiere Elements 9 becomes part of the Premiere Elements 7.0 open project media as well as gets displayed in that program Organize area. I can not get that to happen if I do the same thing but go from Premiere Elements 7 to 9, rather than Premiere Elements 9 to 7. So, Premiere Elements 7.0's project and Organize can ultimately have files A B C D E F G H, but Premiere Elements 9 will still have its A B C D files.

I will see what I can do with the flip side of the question, re: directing the Edit With Premiere Elements and Edit With Photoshop Elements options to open to a specific version rather than the version where they are located.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
            nealeh Level 5

Yes, it is a badly worded discussion title. Sorry.

I'm not going to upgrade to PRE9 because of the poor performance I'm experiencing. I may however upgrade to PSE9. So I would then be running a PSE9/PRE7 combination and would like the "Edit with PRE" feature to open PRE7. Currently it just pops up an error inviting me to install the PRE9 trial.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale

• 3. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

Just a quick note for now.

With the combination of Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 7, the first things that come to my mind with regard to  integration perks.

a. In Photoshop Elements 9 Organizer/Create/Slideshow....when you go to output that slideshow from the Slide Show Editor, the Output option = Edit With Premiere Elements" may or may not be available, and, if it is, you are not going to have the Premiere Elements 7 break apart slideshow command available once the slideshow is transferred there. If you had Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 9, that would not be the case.

b. The Photoshop Elements 9/Elements Organizer and Premiere Elements 7 Organize interface. I suspect that you would run into tagging problems here as well as other transfer issues.I would suspect that the two programs would not share a common database. But, the ultimate test would be for you to uninstall the Premiere Elements 9 trial version, download and install Photoshop Elements 9 trial version and determine how it works or does not in work with Premiere Elements 7 installed on the same computer. If you still have time left on your Premiere Elements 9 trial version, you can still reinstall that from its setup file for more testing.

Have you looked over the AdobeTech Note "Common Catalog Issues When You Upgrade/Elements 9 Organizer"?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/859/cpsid_85996.html

It is quite comprehensive in that it details for version 9 and earlier.

I would look at this for you, but right now my computer has too many versions of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements in order to do the proper evaluation of this question.

It is still not clear to me why you are not getting Premiere Elements 9 to work for you. I have seen your many threads on this subject where you are searching for support for your experiences. I am surprised that none of the supportive information of Steve Grisetti, Bill Hunt, and all as well as your own expertise have not resolved the issues. Since you have a trial version of Premiere Elements 9, I do not think that Adobe offers support for that. I would have to go back and look at all your threads and dig into the details (computer and source media) behind the label of poor performance. If you want to give that approach a try, I would be more than willing to offer my backseat driver opinion on your specific Premiere Elements 9 situation.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, don't forget you get a copy of Elements Organizer 9 with Premiere Elements 9, Neale!

The interface is virtually identical to version 7's Organizer and it creates an updated version of your catalog when you install it. So your transition to version 9 could be pretty seamless!

• 5. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Could you elaborate.

Apparently Neale has Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 and, in think, has been looking at Premiere Elements 9 as a replacement for Premiere Elements 7. Now because Neale has not been satisfied with the performance of Premiere Elements 9, an alternate strategy is in the works, namely, using Photoshop Elements 9 in combo with Premiere Elements 7. I perceived the latest question to be "How do you and can you integrate the Organizer (catalogs) of those non integrated programs?"

True, there should be no issue in upgrading the Photoshop Elements 7 catalog to Photoshop Elements 9 catalog, but I do not believe that the Photoshop Elements 9 Organizer and the Premiere Elements 7 Organize will share a common database. Have not tried it yet, but I will if there is question.

Please advise.

ATR

• 6. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
                    nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Meantime, don't forget you get a copy of Elements Organizer 9 with Premiere Elements 9, Neale!

But I get that with PSE9 as well.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
                      nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

I perceived the latest question to be "How do you and can you integrate the Organizer (catalogs) of those non integrated programs?"

Not quite. I don't mind if PRE and PSE retain their own catalogs, I'm just looking for the "Edit with PRE..." to go to PRE7 rather than PRE9.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
                        nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

the ultimate test would be for you to uninstall the Premiere Elements 9 trial version, download and install Photoshop Elements 9 trial version and determine how it works or does not in work with Premiere Elements 7 installed on the same computer.

That's exactly where I am at present - my PRE9 trial expired last week. I installed PRE9 trial a couple of weeks before PSE9.

So the integration problem I describe is from that PSE9/PRE7 position you describe above.

I think from the kb article that you referenced they are never going to share one catalog, but I'm not too fussed about that.

As an aside the two key features in PSE9 I'm interested in are the Content Aware Heal and the improved face recognition. Now the first is mostly covered for me with Inpaint that I already own. The second is actually provided by Elements 9 Organizer, not PSE.

Based on the expiration of my PRE9 trial it seems that the Organizer itself may NOT time expire (another twelve days left on PSE9 trial before I can prove this one way or another). So it's conceivable I could continue using PRE7/PSE7 + InPaint + Elements 9 Organizer (and an expired but not uninstalled PSE9 Trial).

Lots of different but related points above - I hope it makes sense!

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
                          nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

It is still not clear to me why you are not getting Premiere Elements 9 to work for you. I have seen your many threads on this subject where you are searching for support for your experiences.

A couple of posters described similar problems in another thread. Obviously I have worked through the usual checklist (Windows Update, QuickTime, yada yada yada) but no change in performance. I've also tried reverting to earlier video drivers but no joy there either.

I've convinced myself (albeit only by gut feel) that it is the interaction between PRE9 and my graphics card that is slowing things down - this is because my two major problems are the agonisingly slow redrawing of the timeline and loss of the GPU effects & transitions. Annoyingly I can't show you this in a video because my trial has expired.

I would probably have shrugged my shoulders and accepted that my PC does not have the power needed (although a Quad-Core Q6600 @ 2.4ghz should, I would have thought) except for one of your own posts. It's where you described (I'm paraphrasing here) that problems you had with the Trial do not show themselves in the Retail product. This has led to my most recent discussion - essentially trying to find someone who had poor trial performance with older nvidia cards but good performance with the retail product.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

Have you explored the possibility that it is not your video card that Premiere Elements is at odds with but rather some other program on your computer?

With regard to trial versions and expiration components, it will be interesting to learn what you discover there. My first guess would be that you could have any and all trial version files on your computer, but, come the expiration time, that is all you would have, and you would not get off the ground without supplying a serial number to the dialog that asks serial number or continue trial version. And, serial number \= buy/bought

Are you saying the Premiere Elements 9 trial version sorts itself into Premiere Elements 9 Organize/Editor + Elements Organizer and that Adobe is out of sync with the expiration date with each? Hard to believe, but anything is possible.

Looking forward to the outcome,

ATR

Add On...I do not want to jinx myself, but as of this post, my Premiere Elements 9 is still working well display and otherwise.

• 11. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
                              nealeh Level 5

I run a dual boot system (W7-64 & Vista-32). I have installed the trial in the Vista system (and now have another thirty days to play with ).

But the problem is just as bad in Vista-32 as it was in W7-64. So this seems to exclude 64-bit as part of the problem, as it does W7 itself. Also I maintain my Vista system for only a few very specific applications so I'm struggling to think what else it could be other than the graphics card.

Anyway - here is a link to a video of my timeline The first ten seconds shows the effect of increasing the scale (Zoom In), the last ten by a click on the horizontal scroll bar. And yes - the video is correct, I've not time stretched it, it represents the actual performance I'm seeing

I'll post this link in the other two threads about this problem as well.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: Can Elements 9 Organizer send to Premiere Elements 7?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

I have looked specifically at what I think that you tried to demonstrate in your mini videos, that is, how long it takes

(a) for video thumbnails to populate completely all the frames of a given video dragged to the Premiere Elements 9 vs 7 Timeline

as well as

(b) for video thumbnails to populate completely all the frames viewed after toggling from Timeline Zoom In Zoom Out.

I started with the fundamental observation that the Video Track Display Style default was NOT the same in Premiere Elements 7 and 9. The same 4 Styles are offered in 7 and 9

a. All frames from of the video displayed with thumbnails of video imported to that video track

b. Only the first and last frame displayed with thumbnails of the video imported to that video track.

c. Only the first frame displayed with thumbnail of the video imported to that video track.

d. None of the frames from the video displayed with thumbnails of video imported to that video track.

The default for Premiere Elements 7 is “a” whereas the default for Premiere Elements 9 is “b”. And, I have not found a location in either program to reset that default. It is obvious, if you use the Premiere Elements 9 default with only the first and last frame expected to be populated with a video image, rate of population of frames with video images might not be as obvious. I have no way of knowing whether or not Adobe made this default change as a tradeoff for something else new in the Timeline. But it makes me wonder "Why the change?" Be that as it may.

I did some comparisons of the matter with a 5 minutes MPEG4.avi video (so about 9000 frames). My initial testing indicated:

a. Generally time for population of all frames with video was quicker with Premiere Elements 7 than 9, but not all the time.

b. The slowest time of population of all frames in Premiere Elements 9 was 3 to 4 seconds which could be brought to essentially “instant” with the sequence:

Make sure that the video thumbnail in the Media Area was properly Updated

Import the video to the Timeline with its defauft Track Display Style “b”

After video was on the Timeline, change the Default Track Display Style to “a”

Then do your toggle Zoom In, Zoom Out.

Making sure that the Timeline was selected also seemed to factor into quicker or instantaneous population of all the frames with video.

At the present time I do not have access to a computer with greater resources to rule in or out that possible aspect of the problem. Too, the source of the video, number of frames involved, and project settings do need to be defined in these observations. Neale, it looked like you were dealing with a 4 minute video, so I used a 5 min video for testing - NTSC DV Standard project. And, it was really too early for me to report even the above. But, I did feel that the points above did need to enter into the discussion.

Whatever the case, I do not feel that the performance of Premiere Elements 9 in this regard is a deal breaker for me.

To be continued…..

ATR