14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 11:47 AM by BezierJay

Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram

GPShannon

(AE CS4) How do I stop the RAM preview with audio, so that the playhead resets to the current frame? Hitting the spacebar or 0 sends it back to the starting frame. Spacebar does work in silent preview but I need the audio. This can't be a power-user feature hidden deep in the manuals...

Thanks

Glen

• 1. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Would your timeline cursor happen to be located at the beginning of the RAM Preview?  Because I can put the timeline cursor where I want it, RAM preview my work area, and when I stop the RAM Preview, I see the comp at the point of the timeline cursor.

Here's a cool trick for scrubbing audio: turn on the Caps Lock key.  AE won't update video as you scrub, making it a breeze to find a certain point in the audio.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The space bar should work to do what you're trying to do.

Have you applied the After Effects CS4 (9.0.3) update? That update fixes a lot of problems.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
              GPShannon Level 1

Thanks for the tips and the link, I've upgraded to 9.0.3. Alas, the problem persists. I hit 0 and get the RAM preview with audio, and when I get to the spot where I need to align my subtitle, the space bar sends me back to the starting point. I will check out the caps lock trick!

• 4. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                Batterymate2

GPShannon, this is one of the wonkiest things in AE that annoys the heck out of me.  And for some reason people don't seem to notice the issue when you ask.  Kind of like Todd demonstrated.  I mean no offense Todd.  it's just that when you are in graphic making mode, for whatever reason you don't need to stop the playhead in a specific area that much.  But when you are trying to Edit something in AE it's a pain and you can't help but notice it and get angrier everytime you have to hold Command and scrub the playhead through, listening to broken up audio.

This is how it works.  As far as I know, you can't stop the playhead on a frame by doing an audio preview (AKA hitting the "." key).  You also can't get it to stop on a frame when you do a RAM or Shift+RAM preview (AKA hitting the "0" key or hitting the "Shift and 0" keys simultaneously).  You know that by now though.

What you have to do is get the ram to load.  In otherwords, do a RAM Preview using "0" and let AE load the ram around the area you want stop the playhead.  You will see the green line load at the top of the timeline, thus showing that it's loaded.  once you have the general area loaded where you might want to stop the playhead, do a SPACEBAR preview and hold down SPACEBAR when you want it to stop on a frame.  It should pause there.  I hope this makes seanse.  You can only get the playhead to pause on a desired frame if the RAM is cached in the timeline in that area.  Does that help?  Let me know if you have questions!

• 5. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

But when you are trying to Edit something in AE it's a pain and you can't help but notice it and get angrier everytime you have to hold Command and scrub the playhead through, listening to broken up audio.

There is a simple explanation for this: AE is NOT an editing application.  It was never envisioned to be an editing application.  In its 20-year history, it has never functioned as an editing application.

If you try to force AE into the role of an editing application it is very painful, as you apparantly have discovered.  AE is an effects and compositing application, which addresses a different set of requirements than an editor.

'Twas ever thus.

• 6. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                    Batterymate2 Level 1

I'll agree that editing is not, never was, and better never be AE's primary function.  It's primary function is to create 2D/2.5D composites and motion graphics.  However, Motion Graphic Designers are specialized Editors.  So to say that "it has never functioned as an editing application" is simply not true... at least not in my personal career. I am "editing" in it as we speak actually. 

If you are cutting content, whether that content be graphical, video, or audio then you are editing and if you can do that in a given program than that program CAN and does function as an editing application. The application is intended to function as a subset to the user's creativity.  The user is not intended to function as a subset of the program. And there are certain instances when editing in AE is a better option than editing in FCP, Avid, or Premiere.

I think this setting is "wonky" because it doesn't seem like a hard fix considering we are now in AE version 11 and the updates I've seen to the program throughout the years have been seemingly much more intensive than this fix would be.  And to fix this setting would make the process of making MOTION GRAPHICS (one of AE's primary functions) go a lot faster.  Especially when in this day and age where motion designers are being expected more than ever to sync their graphics with audio.  I'd rather see little advancements like this, as well as advancements to certain primary effects (like Generate>Fill, can we fix the opacity setting in there already? I don't need it to control the whole layer, just the effect) than fancy rotoscoping tools and 3D integration. Just sayin...

• 7. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Reminder:

Talking about things on a forum is not going to cause change in After Effects. Submitting bug report and feature requests here will:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 8. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, there IS an answer to your observations: Autodesk makes a very fine suite of products that address your workflow concerns.  However, they don't come without certain concessions:

• Autodesk dictates that you RENT -- not buy -- their software, and it's easy to spend five figures for an annual license.  In some cases, the high five figures.  Every year.
                        • Autodesk dictates that you run their software on specified operating systems and hardware configurations, meaning that you may incur additional expense to meet their dictates.

In return, you get rock-solid customer support if you have met those conditions. 

Likewise, Adobe software also imposes its own conditions. 

While Adobe is making strides to keep its software current by renting it on a per-month basis, it also specifies certain hardware & OS configurations.

Adobe software also is more compartmentalized -- editing should be done in the editor, effects in effects application, audio is done in a different application, graphics in another -- but is is far more reasonably-priced, and works across far more OS-Hardware combinations.

But Adobe's price point is far, far below Autodesk's.  The customer support?  How well do you speak Hindi?

It seems to me that that the issue here is NOT what the software SHOULD do but  is in reality  1) the amount of money you want to spend, 2) your preferred workflow and 3) the amount of money you take in.

For 35-dollars, you can buy Quicktime Pro.  You can open a clip.  You can set an in-point and an out-point.  You can paste your edit into a new clip.  You can't do a split video-audio edit, for example.  While you can indeed edit in it, it is an an extremely inefficient way to work.  How efficeint do you need to be?  How much can you afford?  This drives your software choice more than anything else.

You will note that this is not an apology for Adobe's way of doing business.  It is simply a discussion of the ways that the same job can be done.  You alone determine which is right for you, and you make the appropriate concessions.

• 9. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Get angrier??? That's a horrible way to work. Try this. Start a ram preview by any of the normal methods. When the ram preview starts playing press the space bar when you want the preview to stop. The CTI should jump to that spot and stay there. It does for me on all four systems I use in production.

OR, just press the space bar then press it again when you get to the point you want to stop. The CTI will jump to that spot. It's worked that way for a while. If it doesn't on your system then trash your prefs to reset them. If you are stuck back in CS4 then the space bar method will work but the ram preview will always go back to where you were when you started the preview. If you watch the time display you can still get to the stop point quickly. It is just a matter of learning to work with the limitations of the software. There's no reason to get angry doing something you have to do every day. It's a horrible way to work.

• 10. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                            Batterymate2 Level 1

Thanks Todd! I might be utilizing this a lot.

• 11. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                              GlenTechArt

Thanks everyone for your new input. What I'm doing is subtitling - basically putting text layers over a video that I don't edit, at specific in and out frames. We don't use subtitling programs for this because we sometimes need to incorporate the text in animated ways that those programs can't do, or match the look of type if we're putting translation of words that are already in the video. And of course, by now, two years after my initial post about this, I'm using CS6 and some of my problems have gone away.

• 12. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The best and easiest way to do sub titling is to start in Premiere, write down the text in a text file, use Premiere's audio tools to recognize text and add it to markers, import the footage into AE with the markers and then use an expression to change the markers to text. I do it all the time and it just takes a few minutes. You then adjust the position of the text layer, throw in your animations, and you're done. If you're interested here's my expression:

m = thisComp.layer("Caption Audio").marker;
                                n = 0;
                                if (m.numKeys > 0){
                                  n = m.nearestKey(time).index;
                                  if (m.key(n).time > time) n--;
                                }
                                (n > 0) ? m.key(n).comment : ""

After you work the audio track in PPro you'll have an audio track with the text as markers. Just import that rigged audio layer into AE, name the layer Caption Audio and then apply this expression. You'll end up with a text layer that changes on every word. You can then either split up the text layer or add additional effects using other expressions driven by the markers. This makes adding captions a piece of cake.

Here's a tutorial on how to process the audio in PPro.

• 13. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                                  _Maido_

Use the ram preview but stop it with SPACEBAR instead of numEnter and you'll stop there

• 14. Re: Stopping RAM preview w/Audio and moving playhead to current fram
                                    BezierJay

Ram Cache CTI Stop.JPG

In Preview Pane UNCLICK "On (Spacebar) Stop:

"If caching, play cached frames"