The document has to start out Reader-enabled in order for Reader to save it. It would make sense to use the "Document Will Save" event instead. The script would set the fields to read-only. For example:
// Set some fields to read-only
getField("Text1").readonly = true;
getField("Text2").readonly = true;
Thanks so much for your reply and your suggestion.
Somehow I'm not doing it right.
1) I started with a form that was not Reader enabled.
2) For the Document Will Save action, I have:
getField("txtTripName").readonly = true;
3) I then extended the form for Reader users.
4) Saved the PDF.
5) Closed and reopened it in Acrobat.
6) Typed some text into the field that needs to be locked and read-only.
7) Saved the PDF with a new name.
8) Reopened the PDF. And, I'm able to edit the field that should be locked -- it shouldn't be editable, so I've gone wrong somewhere in this process.
My most humble apologies. Your script is working perfectly. I left out a space in the field name - duh.
Thanks so much for your expertise and for answering so quickly! Much appreciated!