5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 12:29 PM by Shesobudh

Is there a (hidden) pref to disable acroipm.adobe.com connection on reader x startup

broadreedaxe

It's new in reader x and unnecessary, should be possible to disable it.

• 1. Re: Is there a (hidden) pref to disable acroipm.adobe.com connection on reader x startup
          Iain House

I believe this is part of the Adobe Approved Trust List program. It seems that, when Reader X starts, it downloads this file from an Adobe server. The zip file contains 3 files, the largest of which is signatures.xml, which unsurprisingly appears to contain details for a number of X509 certificates.

You can control this behaviour by selecting "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu and then going to the "Trust Manager" section. Here you can enable/disable loading these certificates, control whether Reader will ask you before updating and manually update now.

• 2. Re: Is there a (hidden) pref to disable acroipm.adobe.com connection on reader x startup
            broadreedaxe Level 1

You can control this behaviour by selecting "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu and then going to the "Trust Manager" section. Here you can enable/disable loading these certificates, control whether Reader will ask you before updating and manually update now.

That does not prevent the request for

http://acroipm.adobe.com/10/rdr/ENU/win/nooem/none/message.zip

on startup.

• 3. Re: Is there a (hidden) pref to disable acroipm.adobe.com connection on reader x startup
              Iain House Level 1

Yes, it looks like you're right!

I have just tested on a machine that has always had restricted Internet access and can't download this file. Every time I run Reader X, it tries to get this file, regardless of whether the check box for getting updates is checked. However, when I allowed the machine to get the file, it then stopped checking for it any more!

I suspect there is one of two things happening here.

• The first possibility is that there is simply a bug in Reader X: it checks online for the file before checking whether it is supposed to be checking!
              • The other possibility is that this is some sort of "first installation" check: after Reader X is installed, it will always make a first check for the updated list of certificates. Once that has been done it may not check again.

Unfortunately I can't see any easy way to check which it is. I could turn off "check for updates" on the test machine, but I would then have to wait 31 days to find out if it had checked again. Actually, I will put a task in my diary for next month to do just that. If it doesn't access the file again, that would prove the "first install" theory. If it does load it again, that suggests a bug in Reader X. I'll try and report back here at that time.

In either case, I'm reasonably confident that the file being loaded is, in fact, the list of Adobe approved certificates. There is also a mention on the Adobe website that this list includes revocation for some of the DigiNotar certificates. Those two things combined mean I'm happy to whitelist that particular URL.

• 4. Re: Is there a (hidden) pref to disable acroipm.adobe.com connection on reader x startup
                Iain House Level 1

broadreedaxe wrote:

That does not prevent the request for

http://acroipm.adobe.com/10/rdr/ENU/win/nooem/none/message.zip

on startup.

You're definitely right!

The test I described above turned out not to be helpful - because the "check for updates" setting is a per-user setting. So for the last 40 days or so, the normal user of that machine has been downloading the file anyway.

However, I just logged in there again and started Reader - and it immediately downloaded the file again, despite my settings for updates still being "off".

As I suggested, I have to assume that a bug in Reader means it checks for the file regardless of the settings. Either that or what Adobe say that file is for is simply wrong.

Sorry I can't be much more help. I will have another look at this if I get some spare time!