7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2010 5:12 AM by MartinHviid

Flex Test Drive - Unable to find datasource

Mortelini

Hi peoples

(I posted this in the coldfusion forum, but really it should go here. Apologies)

I am new to most of this stuff, just so's you know.

I am following the Testdrive tutorial at

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/testdrivemobile/articles/mtd_1_1.html

Has anyone completed this tut?

I have got down to step 7 which states

Test the setup by browsing to http://{your server:your port}/TestDrive/test/test.html. For a default standalone ColdFusion installation, browse to http://localhost:8500/TestDrive/test/test.html. You should see employee data from the database successfully displayed in a datagrid.

I type the following into my ie8 browser

http://localhost:8500/TestDrive/test/test.html

and i get a dialog box with this error message

faultCode:Server.Processing faultString:'Unable to invoke CFC - Datasource testdrive_db could not be found.' faultDetail:'For details, turn on Robust Exception Information in the ColdFusion Administrator'

Oh and a small blank grid? too

Things I have tried/looked at etc

I turned on Robust Exception in the admin page, but don't know if this helps. I don't see any output anywhere.

I have seen flex2gateway errors but when I type localhost/flex2gateway I get the blank page.

I have made the mods in the tutorial regarding setting property cases etc

er I don't actually know how to perform step 6 Restart the Coldfusion server (I rebooted, don't laugh)

If I dbl click the swf file directly under wwwroot/TestDrive/test I get the following error

faultCode:Client.Error.MessageSend faultString:'Send failed' faultDetail:'Channel.Security.Error error Error #2048 url: 'http://localhost/flex2gateway/''

My crossdomain.xml file in the wwwroot folder looks like this

I am running Windows 7 64bit

I have installed CF9

Any help is very gratefully received

Ta Tom

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE cross-domain-policy SYSTEM "http://www.macromedia.com/xml/dtds/cross-domain-policy.dtd">

<!--Generic policy file for flex app access, it should be made more restrictive -->

<cross-domain-policy>

<site-control permitted-cross-domain-policies="all"/>

<!-- <allow-access-from domain="*.example.com"/> -->

</cross-domain-policy>

• 1. Re: Flex Test Drive - Unable to find datasource
          MartinHviid Level 2

What you are describing aren't step 7 in the tutorial, it's step 1 -> Setup for coldfusion -> 7

And that seems to be a coldfusion problem, so please keep you problem there

Best Regards

Martin Andersen

• 2. Re: Flex Test Drive - Unable to find datasource
            Mortelini Level 1

Dear Martin

Thanks for the unhelpful reply

I was following a FLEX tutorial and it would seem reasonable to post a query in the FLEX forum

Are you saying that novices should identify specific elements of a tutorial to post in a correct forum?

This tutorial covers both FLEX and Cold Fusion. The Coldfusion experts do not necessarily have FLEX experience either (And they predicted you would say this).

If anyone has followed this tutorial and can shed any light on this error message I would be most obliged. (Previous respondents need not apply)

Thanks

Tom

• 3. Re: Flex Test Drive - Unable to find datasource
              MartinHviid Level 2

Hi Tom

Despite your impolite sarcastic answer, I have actually tried downloading the file you wrote about.

I don't have any experience with Coldfusion and I still feel pretty confident it's a Coldfusion error.

But if you read the fault, it actually gets a hold of the server, and it looks like it's unable to find the Database "testdrive_db".

Try and look if it's placed and configured correctly.

/Martin

• 4. Re: Flex Test Drive - Unable to find datasource
                Mortelini Level 1

Hi Martin

Thanks for replying.

I am sorry that you thought my reply impolite and sarcastic. It wasn't meant to be, it was meant to be plain anger 

I appreciate that you do not have ColdFusion experience, you and me both. I am trying to set up a workflow from Photoshop/Panini/Burrito/Android and was therefore excited to find the tutorial:

Flex Test Drive for Mobile: Build a mobile application in an hour

It has highlighted the fact that I am temporally challenged as I have been on it for days.

I mentioned that I had posted this query in the ColdFusion forum and some help has been given and is ongoing.

The fact that this tut straddles two pieces of software is likely to mean posting in the correct place will be tricky.

Thank you for your patience.

I would have thought that as mobiles appear to be the future, there would be quite a few Flex developers who have already managed this. Because it is new, it means there is less information about, I guess.

I think my configuration is probably awry. I just need to figure out how.

Thanks

Tom

• 5. Re: Flex Test Drive - Unable to find datasource
                  MartinHviid Level 2

Hi Tom

Np

Are there any other serverside technologies you have experience with .Net, Python, PHP?

Well I think a lot of people are doing mobile with AIR now, but it's not really a mobile specific problem you have.

But if you have experience with other serverside technologies then maybe you could shift to that as you backend?

So you don't have to battle 2 unknowns.

Cheers

Martin

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Flex Test Drive - Unable to find datasource
                    Mortelini Level 1

Hi Martin

Thanks for replying

Yes, I have carried on with the tutorial and it uses PHP so I plumped for that.

I have got as far as running the flex program and got a virtual HTC Desire on screen!

i have never had so much fun pressing two buttons that don't do anything!

Now to see if I can follow it and get data invloved.

I think I will take your advice and leave CF for the moment. One unknown at a time is plenty.

Thanks for your help.

If I get stuck again, I'll open a new thread.

Cheers

Tom

• 7. Re: Flex Test Drive - Unable to find datasource
                      MartinHviid Level 2

Great you just do that.

Please rate the question as answered, so others don't read the thread in the interest of replying.