• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 AI. How to add accented text character in windows

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2010 Nov 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get the accented (acute/forward) characters for a, e, i, o, u. (and their capital versions) in illustrator CS5 (Windows 7). I do not want to use the Glyphs - impractical. Neither do I want to use the windows character box or Alt xxxx codes.

Accented characters are part of normal text - for all but English speakers

All my other programs (MS OFfice, CAD etc) allow me to use AltGr key + letter (AltGr = right alt = Ctrl+Alt). This is also the case for Photoshop CS5 but not Illustrator.

In windows control panel I have changed languages (e.g. English, Spanish) and keyboards (e.g. US-international). No difference. As soon as I press AltGr key, I move into Group Selection mode. I have deleted all Illustrator shortcuts that include Ctrl + Alt - still no use.

I have tried previous suggestions in this and similar forums

Is there any simple way to resolve this. I have put up with this since CS1 but I thought it was fixed. Now it seems not - AI is to remain English speaking only (?)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your native language setup? Accents on a tertiary modifier such as AltGr is rather unusual... Even in German they are either primary keys or secondary modifiers and the Adobe type engine handles it correctly... Only the reverse is true - AI does not handle some keyboard shortcuts on foreign language systems, because it has assigned them to fixed character codes, but that should not affect text handling....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My normal setup is English UK language with English UK keyboard.

I am not sure I understand your comment "Accents on a tertiary modifier such as AltGr is rather unusual..." and I am not clear about primary keys and secondary modifiers but from my experience...

AltGr (or Ctrl + Alt) + vowel will give accented (forward) vowel in any package that I use - for example Microsoft Word, Excel, OneNote, Firefox, Paint Shop Pro, TurboCad etc - and many more. It is a standard in windows and has been for years. Even Photoshop follows it. But not Illustrator.

In trying to get it to work in Illustrator I have tried every reasonable combination of keyboards (e.g. US-international, Spanish) and  languages (e.g. French, Spanish etc) as well as English

I'd happily work with any two-key / three - key shortcut I could set up in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see... Wasn't aware that the Brits have it that awkward (I have used lots of foreign language keyboards, but not that one yet)... Mmh, could it be, that this is one of the problems I was refering to earlier (right Alt being equaled to left Alt in AI's mind)? Really not sure and cannot resort to any experience in this case... Sorry. Maybe someoen else can chime in...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

I suspect that AI has locked out the Ctrl+Alt functionality for its own use (e.g. Group Select)

ps - The brits (and US) don't suffer this problem as they have no accents etc in English. But I am working in Irish - which does!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2011 Feb 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I may have missed the point on this (not unusual) but I just managed to do it via:

Menu option Type > glyphs > select my font > place cursor where required > double click the required character.

I managed to get a c with an acute accent over the top, so I think as long as the font supports it you should find it.

Not exactly speedy, I know, but I guess you could leave the glyphs window open once you have it, and there's probably a shortcut somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Lorraine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMEN.I am editing  a manuscript in SPANISH for a publisher and cannot aDD ACCENTS !!

Renee, with accent in the second e

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2016 Apr 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's year 2016 now, and we still cannot type any AltGr characters in Illustrator (CC 2015.2). It is quite frustrating. On a Finnish-Swedish keyboard it means I am unable to type these characters in Illustrator: €, $, £, @, {, [, ], }, \, |. Out of those, the euro sign and the @ sign are naturally used quite often. Feels stupid to have to open up the glyphs window to type in prices or emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about Finnish or Swedish keyboards but on Polish keyboard the AltGr's functionality (at least when it comes to accented letters) can be alternatively obtained by pressing tilde "~" (SHIFT + TheKeyBelowESC) before typing the letter to get its accented version (small) or pressing tilde together with the letter key to get the capital one. So maybe if you try to press the SHIFT + ~ before or together with the key attributed to those characters you can get the missing AltGr's function?

But for such a popular and expensively priced software as Illustrator it should not be the way it is now. It's just ridiculous that this problem has not been fixed for so many years. But the quality of code and performance was never a strong side of Adobe products. I guess there is a need for some serious competition for them to stop releasing botched software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the Swedish-Finnish keyboard does not work that way. First of all, the tilde character is located to the AltGr + umlaut (on the top letter row, left to the Enter key). Strangely that is the only AltGr character that actually works. It produces the ~ itself or the tilde accented characters, namely, ñ, ã, and õ. But it does not produce any other AltGr symbols. When used with other characters than a, n, or o, it only produces the ~ and the unmodified character (for instance ~4, not $, if pressing AltGr+¨ and then 4). Shift+[key below Esc] produces only ½, as it should as well (the unmodified character is § on the Swedish-Finnish keyboard).

The Polish keyboard is, to my guess, an exception. And even it does not produce AltGr symbol characters, only accented letters (as there doesn't seem to be any AltGr symbols, e.g. $, €, {, on the Polish keyboard; they are all Shift-modified). Probably the AltGr has been so late addition to the Polish keyboard that the Shift+` method was already very well established before it.

The underlying problem is of course that the Illustrator counts pressing AltGr as pressing Ctrl+Alt. Which is not the way it should be done on the keyboards containing the actual AltGr key, at least when in text typing mode. InDesign knows the difference, Photoshop knows the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well its not that AltGr was a late addition to Polish keyboard, its because the US keyboard got so popular in the 80's with Polish programmers (partially because it was more comfortable to type special characters and partially because it was cheaper to import it from Asia) that it basically ousted the Polish keyboard standard (polish 214 or typists layout). While its not as good for fast typing in Polish as the original standard it is much better for IT professionals, and we can basically use any American, British or other similar keyboards to type in polish without any hassle or need to learn new layout

But I guess that doesn't help you in any way, and while I hope this problem will be solved soon, looking at how long people have been asking for the fix, I don't think they care about it at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I posted this same thing through the Bug Report / Feature Request form as well. Hopefully it is at some point corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Pol,

Not sure it will help you, but see this: Photoshop Windows: Polish letter ć (AltGr + c) triggers Canvas size (Ctrl + Alt + c) in text editing... ​. I’m able to enter Polish characters using AltGr, but only after adding an AltGr-enable IME to the secondary language I want characters from.

Regards

m.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines