13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 9:45 PM by Undeadlabs

New at building editing machine need help

Undeadlabs Level 1

So I've been reading the forum and through some research I've seen a good option for a mobo is X58 ASUS P6X58D-E LGA - but I've been reading the plethora of problems and I know me and I am definitely not a tech savvy guy when it comes to making these machines - I was wondering what a good alternative would be as it seems to have nice features like USB 3.0

I am located in toronto canada so I am trying to get parts from  www.canadacomputers.com which is literally just a 10 minute walk away from  me - although some of the parts they don't have so here is my build

Windows 7 professional

Sentey Arvina Full Tower Case $129

ASUS ENGTX470/2DI/1280MD5/V2 GeForce GTX 470    $259

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333   $196

ASUS P6X58D-E LGA  but after reading this http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100429194317906&board_id=1&model=P6X58D+Premium&p age=1&SLanguage=en-us it's kind of made me nervous even with manufacturer tested ones people are still having this issue where 12gigs shows up as 6...so I don't want to wast cash on consistently trouble shooting

Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1001FALS) 1000GB (1TB) SATAII 7200RPM 32MB Cache (OEM)  $80

core i7 950

trying to make this low budget i think it came around 1600 something  I already bought the LG dvd/writer drive

any help would be greatful

• 1. Re: New at building editing machine need help
          Jim_Simon Level 9

I say go for it on the mobo.  It's a good choice.

I'd get a smaller hard drive for the System drive.  1TB is a waste of space, as you'll only be putting Windows and Program on it.  Projects, Scratch, Media and Exports should all go on separate drives.  Right now, the Samsung Spinpoint F4 is the best option for a System drive.  It's really fast, cheap, and has plenty of space at 320GB.

The Spinpoint F3s are good for Projects/Scratch, Media and Export drives.  They're a little faster than the Caviars and come in a 1TB size for about $70 at Newegg.com.

• 2. Re: New at building editing machine need help
            richardrock Level 1

Making a good RAM choice is important. You are thinking about the right stuff. Know people are using this mother board/ RAM combination successfully.

Your Mobo troubleshooting link is a list of known problems that shouldn’t happen and can be dealt with if they do (mostly superfluous IMO).

You can build it.

Tell us about your choice for a power supply.

• 3. Re: New at building editing machine need help
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Basically, the components you mention are a good choice, including the memory.

I second Jim about the Samsung F4 for OS & programs. And wonder why you want USB3, but at the same time select the WD Caviar Black in the SATA2 edition and not the SATA3 edition with 64 MB cache? I would choose the Samsung F3 instead, slightly faster and cheaper and can easily be raided if you want in the future.

You did not mention a third party CPU cooler and the PSU. Go for at least 850W.

Check here to see what makes a system deliver value for money, with what components: PPBM5 Benchmark

You may have read some already, but if you press the Overview tab at the top of the forum page, there is a drop down box with a number of articles that can be of interest.

• 4. Re: New at building editing machine need help
                Undeadlabs Level 1

thanks guys sorry for the delay in response

I was going to get a 750W corsair but since suggested 850W I probably will go for that - I'm not to tech savvy so when i see SATA2 or SATA3 I don't know what the difference is I am guessing it means its faster? I suggested Samsung to the computer guy and he said western digital but I'll just go ahead and get the F3

what would you guys  suggest for a 3rd party cpu cooler never put any thought into that

• 5. Re: New at building editing machine need help
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Noctua NH-D14, Coolermaster 212, Prolimatech Megahelem, Scythe Mugen are just a couple of good CPU coolers.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: New at building editing machine need help
                    Crist OC/PC Level 2

Dear Undeadlabs

The ram you hav select have a latency 9-9-9-24. " very slow" I know they are vey cheap But remembers that the selection of the ram is as important as the selection of your processor. If you are going to O.C. your CPU not dout you have to change that ram, look for Corsair Dominator, they have a very good a cheap one: http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1842 

B.R.

• 7. Re: New at building editing machine need help
                      Undeadlabs Level 1

Thanks for that and the link as well but if I don't plan on OC does it matter? I'll need a schooling on this but how would it be slow like what kind of performance difference does it make?

• 8. Re: New at building editing machine need help
                        Crist OC/PC Level 2

Yes. Go for ram with low latency "CL 7-7-7-20" and not higher frequency that

1333 if we take in  acount that tou will use the turbo modo on your mother

board.

2010/11/28 Undeadlabs <forums@adobe.com>

Thanks for that and the link as well but if I don't plan on OC does it

matter? I'll need a schooling on this but how would it be slow like what

kind of performance difference does it make?

>

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: New at building editing machine need help
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

If one has the choice between DDR3-1333 @ 7-7-7-20 or DDR3-1600 @ 9-9-9-27, my preference would always be DDR3-1600. CL is of minor importance in comparison the clock speed. However, both require BIOS adjustments to use those memory frequencies, unless you have a CPU that uses 1333 as standard.

Keep in mind that CPU clock speed and memory clock speed are different things.

• 10. Re: New at building editing machine need help
                            richardrock Level 1

I don’t believe RAM latency is anywhere near as important as your processor choice. You have devised a good configuration. Its not imperative to over clock; Premiere CS5 will work great with your configuration! I will reemphasize, “Know (make sure) people are using your mother board/ RAM combination successfully” just as an indicator you aren’t climbing out onto a limb that has never been tried. More RAM is more important than faster Ram, but with 12GB you will be editing like a madman.

• 11. Re: New at building editing machine need help
                              Crist OC/PC Level 2

Well. Bases on my Little knowledge of O.C. to increase the frequency of the

CPU or the RAM you can make to things:

1 To increase the multiplier of the ram or of the processor.

2 To increase the Bus Speed.

In the case of our friend Undeadlabs. It does not want to make O.C. to its

CPU, what meas that Multiplier stay in 23, Bus Speed in 133 and ram

multiplier in 8 by defould give hen a ram speed of 1060MHZ

2010/11/29 Harm Millaard <forums@adobe.com>

If one has the choice between DDR3-1333 @ 7-7-7-20 or DDR3-1600 @ 9-9-9-27,

my preference would always be DDR3-1600. CL is of minor importance in

comparison the clock speed. However, both require BIOS adjustments to use

those memory frequencies, unless you have a CPU that uses 1333 as standard.

>

• 12. Re: New at building editing machine need help
                                Crist OC/PC Level 2

That small adjusment that you mention is to increase the ram multi for the

folow result:

RAM multi 10= 1333 mhz

RAM multi 12= 1596 mhz

In both cases we must increase the QPI Link Speed. Its like making OC of the

ram which can be a little complex for a normal user.

About the Latency I cannot say more. Only hope that BillG publishes my

results soon and try with facts more that with words.

Note: all these info is base on a I7 950.

B.R. Harms

2010/11/29 richardrock <forums@adobe.com>

I don’t believe RAM latency is anywhere near as important as your processor

choice. You have devised a good configuration. Its not imperative to over

clock; Premiere CS5 will work great with your configuration! I will

reemphasize, “Know (make sure) people are using your mother board/ RAM

combination successfully” just as an indicator you aren’t climbing out onto

a limb that has never been tried. More RAM is more important than faster

Ram, but with 12GB you will be editing like a madman.

>

• 13. Re: New at building editing machine need help
                                  Undeadlabs Level 1

alright thanks for all the awesome advice everyone. I am going to the computer guy to build this anything specific i should say when putting this  machine together - such as setting for the bios and stuff?