6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2010 4:59 PM by Intrepid17

Project Settings for Multiple Video Files?

Intrepid17

In PRE 8, I am attempting my first HD project. I have several different types of video files that friends sent me from a sports event, the video files are AVCHD (1920?), QT Movie (1280x720), and QT Movie (1920x1088). When I create a new project, what PROJECT SETTINGS should I select? I am not sure what to select since I am using different video file formats. The video files are currently on my hard drive.

I also have lots of pix (jpg) from different cameras, some are as large as 5184x3456. For the picture files, should I bulk process them through PSE to resize them? If so, what should  the maximum size be for the HD project?

Thank you in advance.

Howard

• 1. Re: Project Settings for Multiple Video Files?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would recommend against mixing different video formats in the same project. It's asking for trouble.

You'd be best to create a separate project for each video source and then export each using Share/Computer/MPEG with the 1440x1080 preset. This produces HDV video.

Then open a new project, using the HDV project preset, and combine those MPEG/HDV clips there and do your editing.

I don't know which project presets each of your clips will require, since you haven't given me enough information on the sources of each. But do ensure you've selected the project preset that matches each camcorder as precisely as possible.

• 2. Re: Project Settings for Multiple Video Files?
            Intrepid17 Level 1

Steve - thank you for your advice to create a seperate project for each video source. These are the video sources of the files:

• AVCHD files - Canon Vixia HF10 camcorder
            • QT 720 files - CountourHD 720p helmet cam (very cool race video from the racer's point of view)
            • QT 1080 files - Canon T2i camera (that is my camera that I shot pix and 1080p video)

What project settings should I use for each project? I have done a lot of SD PRE projects but this is my first HD project, I really appreciate the advice.

Howard

• 3. Re: Project Settings for Multiple Video Files?

For the Vixia, use the 1920x1080 AVCHD stereo preset -- but only if you've shot the video in FXP quality. I'm not sure the other quality settings will work with this preset.

For the Canon EOS, try the DSLR 1920x1080 preset. I couldn't find a lot of information on the codec this cam uses, but this one should work.

The helmet cam could be trouble. You can try the DSLR 1280x720 preset and see if it works. But this one could be a hybrid of codecs, so I'm not sure if it will go or not. You may have to experiment with it.

• 4. Re: Project Settings for Multiple Video Files?
                Intrepid17 Level 1

Hi Steve - in the list of NTSC project presets, there is not a "DSLR" selection; there is "AVCHD", "DV", "Hard Disk/Flash", and "HDV". Am I missing something?

As you suggested, I used the "AVCHD 1920x1080" preset for the Vixia files. I imported one 9-second file in the project as a test and the video is choppy after rendering. I have a new HP computer with an I7-930 quad-core processor, 8GB RAM, and an ATI HD 5770 graphics card so I think there is enough cycles to process the video files. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for answering my questions on a Sunday.

Howard

• 5. Re: Project Settings for Multiple Video Files?

Oh, sorry. I see now that you're using version 8.

Unfortunately, those new project preset were added in version 9. Version 8 has a limited number of project presets, so it may or may not be able to work with your DSLR or helmet cam video successfully.

It's worth a try. But, short of upgrading to version 9 (which, as I note in my reviews, is a very good upgrade, by the way), I'm not sure what to recommend except trial and error.

• 6. Re: Project Settings for Multiple Video Files?
                    Intrepid17 Level 1

OK, I will give PRE 9 a try. Thx.