10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 5:22 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?

skulpted

Hey all,

I've got After Effects CS5 (The whole Production Premium actually) along with a i7 930, 12gb ram, GTS 250 1gb, 3 WD Black HDs, and things just seem bogged down in AE as well as switching to Premiere then obviously using Dynamic link. I've got 3 processors at work with 2gb each in the MP settings and the rest of the ram / processors for other applications. I'm trying not to starve the system or used cores of ram as suggested. I've also setup my HDs the way Adobe has suggested with program on 1 HD, cache/scratch on another, and output on another.

Of course each person uses AE differently. But my work is 720p max or less usually working with 3D space, particle effects, and so on. Clips are 30 seconds or so max.

With all that background out of the way, would I see a nice performance boost by doubling my ram to 24gb? I would want to leave say 8gb ram for other apps, and then have 2-3gb per core for After Effects (whereever that leaves me). Would this be worth it? Again, things seem very slow. I feel like my ram preview should be faster and switching from AE to Premiere just lags big time. And yes, I've decreased ram previews res, size, framerate, but I hopefully don't have to have as much sacrifice in these areas if I have more ram.

This is the ram BTW I was thinking of getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231357

Any thoughts or experiences after upgrading to 24gb would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes, more RAM definitely helps. My home computer has 24GB of RAM, and I'm very happy with the performance compared with my primary work computer, which only has 12GB.

The increased RAM especially makes a large difference when using multiple applications at the same time. The delay that you see when switching applications is probably because of the contents of RAM being swapped to the hard disk; this is one of the biggest performance killers.

There's some guidance about settings here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?
            skulpted Level 1

Thanks for the reply Todd. Is there any noticable difference with memory that has a faster clock speeds or less latency values, or is it all pretty much the same for After Effects?

• 3. Re: Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Is there any noticable difference with memory that has a faster clock speeds or less latency values, or is it all pretty much the same for After Effects?

I haven't done a lot of comparative tests.

There is no one generalization that applies to speed with After Effects. There are too many variables to give simple answers.

At the risk of stating the obvious, faster things are better; slower things are worse.

If the speed of getting data to and from RAM is the bottleneck, then faster RAM will be better.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                Yes, more RAM definitely helps. My home computer has 24GB of RAM, and I'm very happy with the performance compared with my primary work computer, which only has 12GB.

Lucky dawg... I wish I had waited a few months longer when I bought my machine at home. not that I cannot work, but occasionalyl I'm craving for more RAM, too. But as it is, first generation core7i's are stuck at 12 GB... *sigh*

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?
                  evan.fotis Level 1

Hi!

on the same note recently RAM prices fell and I could add another 12GB (3x4GB) to my i7 rig for around 100 euros so I max it out at 24GB.

Currently at 12GB working on a mixture of projects some HD some SD and multitasking.

Would you recommend I proceed?

Also would adding a second cuda gpu increase the mercury engine performance or does it utilize a singles card cuda cores only?

thanks

• 6. Re: Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

evan.fotis wrote:

...recently RAM prices fell and I could add another 12GB (3x4GB) to my i7 rig for around 100 euros so I max it out at 24GB... Would you recommend I proceed?

Yes, indeed.  If there is one thing that AE absolutely loves to have, it's more RAM.

I'm jealous.  24 GB RAM cost me about 1000 US dollars, and I thought I was getting a bargain.

• 7. Re: Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

More RAM = good.

> Also would adding a second cuda gpu increase the mercury engine performance...?

No.

And, in case it wasn't clear, Mercury is a Premiere Pro thing, not an After Effects thing. See this thread.

• 8. Re: Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?
                        skulpted Level 1

Hi!

For me, the ram upgrade would be totally worth it, especially at those

kinds of prices. AE eats it alive, so the more ram, the better. You can

assign more ram to each core, which gives a nice boost.

As of now though, I wouldn't get a second CUDA based card. I don't think

you will see much of a difference. From what I've heard, Adobe still has

a cap that makes such an upgrade not really worth it yet.

Hope this helps. : )

Have a good one

Brian

• 9. Re: Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?
                          evan.fotis Level 1

> Also would adding a second cuda gpu increase the mercury engine performance...?

No.

And, in case it wasn't clear, Mercury is a Premiere Pro thing, not an After Effects thing.

Yes I am aware of this.

Though I saw some AE & PS plugins that claim to utilise Cuda cores (Kronos and beautybox?)

And does Adobe Media Encoder not use Mercury Engine?

Thanks all for your replies, I'm placing my order asap.

• 10. Re: Upgrading from 12gb to 24gb ram. Is it worth it?
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Though I saw some AE & PS plugins that claim to utilise Cuda cores (Kronos and beautybox?)

Yes.

And does Adobe Media Encoder not use Mercury Engine?

If you're asking whether AME uses CUDA, the answer is no. Premiere Pro can use CUDA to accelerate the rendering of some items for final output, but the encoding portion (which is done by AME) is not CUDA-accelerated.