4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2010 3:44 AM by BhaskerChari

Dynamically change property names

Scott S_DW

hello,

I have several datefields and would like to use a loop to get the value of each but can't figure out how to dynamically assign that name from an array:

ie:---- this works fine

if(start_date.selectedDate == null){
                          newTraineeValue.start_date = _trainee.start_date;
                      } else{
                      newTraineeValue.start_date = ((start_date.selectedDate.fullYear+"-"+(start_date.selectedDate.month+1)+"-"+start_date.s electedDate.date).toString());

This throws up an error ---------------

var myArray:Array = ["start_date","pment1_date", "pment2_date", "pment3_date"];

for (var i:String in myArray)
                      {
                      if(myArray[i].selectedDate == null){
                          newTraineeValue.myArray[i] = _trainee.myArray[i];
                      } else{
                      newTraineeValue.myArray[i] = ((start_date.selectedDate.fullYear+"-"+(start_date.selectedDate.month+1)+"-"+start_date.s electedDate.date).toString());
                      }
                      }

-------------------

How do I get the value of myArray[i] and use it as the name of the object????  And how do I also use myArray[i] for a property???

Thanks

Scott

• 1. Re: Dynamically change property names
          BhaskerChari Level 4

Hi Scott S_DW,

Is newTraineeValue is an instance of your CustomClass you created..??

I think you can try this..Instead of dot operator try to use the Square Bracket syntax...

You cannot use myArray[i].selectedDate .... in this fashion since myArray[i] returns you the string which holds the name of your datefield id's but selectedDate property is available on DateField control but not string....So you cannot use myArray[i].selectedDate. So you should use something like below if your all the DateFields are placed in one container..

<mx:Canvas id="dateFieldContainer">

<mx:DateField1 />

<mx:DateField2 />

<mx:DateField3 />

;

</mx:Canvas>

If your all DateFields are not placed in a single container then you need to write a logic so that based on the string id you can return a DateField object by comparing the string...

for (var i:String in myArray)
                          {
                          if((dateFieldContainer.getChildByName(myArray[i]) as DateField).selectedDate == null){
                              newTraineeValue[myArray[i]] = _trainee[myArray[i]];
                          } else{
                          newTraineeValue[myArray[i]] = ((start_date.selectedDate.fullYear+"-"+(start_date.selectedDate.month +1)+"-"+start_date.selectedDate.date).toString());
                          }
                          }

Thanks,

Bhasker

• 2. Re: Dynamically change property names
            Scott S_DW Level 1

Hi Bhasker,

thanks for the reply.

Yes - newTraineeValue and _trainee are instances of a custom class.

I understand what you are saying - but just couldn't work out the correct syntax.

I placed all of the DateFields into a group container and then changed the first line using the group container id  -   if((editContainer.getChildByName(myArray[i]) as DateField).selectedDate == null){

I now get the error --- Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference -- on the line --

if((editContainer.getChildByName(myArray[i]) as DateField).selectedDate == null){

Any ideas.

Thanks

Scott

• 3. Re: Dynamically change property names
              fleRavix

use the hasOwnproperty of the array method to check if the property exists or not.

mark this answered if helpful

• 4. Re: Dynamically change property names
                BhaskerChari Level 4

Hi Scott,

The elements in your Array myArray[i] are the ids of your DateFields right...

Try to do the below...

In the below check whether you are getting dateField as not a null Object...And make sure you have correctly placed all the DateFields in the editContainer container. Can you post the code where you placed the DateFields in editContainer.

var dateField:DateField = editContainer.getChildByName(myArray[i]) as DateField;

if(dateField != null && dateField.selectedDate == null){

Try to debug and check the dateField variable..

Thanks,

Bhasker