5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2011 9:07 AM by tlmurray23

Placeholders on Master Slides in Captivate 5 don't seem to work

TokyoRed

Hi I'm very new to Captivate and I am exploring the trial version (5) to learn what it can do.

I am trying to create a project template with a master slide. I have added text caption placeholders to the master slide and saved the file as a project template.

When I create a 'new project from template' using this file I have created a slide based upon the master with placeholders but I am unable to edit the placeholders from the film strip view (they are not clickable, and stay locked). Am I doing something wrong?

There appeared to be a thread about an issue with Master slides but I don't know if this has been resolved.

I'm hoping it's an error on my part (which someone can hopefully correct me on) rather than a bug in Captivate as this would seem to be a pretty fundamental feature when creating courseware.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Placeholders on Master Slides in Captivate 5 don't seem to work
          Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello and welcome to the Captivate forums,

Do I understand well that you put the placeholders on the master slide? That is not a good idea, because Master slides will only be changeable in the Master slide panel, never in the Filmstrip. Master slides are used to create common backgrounds for different slides. You will have to create 'stencils' with placeholders for all type of slides you want. You can use (one of) master slide(s) to have the background, and perhaps different stencils for all kinds of slides you want to use. The only placeholder on a master slide can p.e. be a placeholder for the author of the course, but this will then have to be changed in the Master slide panel, once the project based on the template is created. For normal slides, the user will choose one of the 'stencil' slides. Compare this with the different stencil slides you can find in Powerpoint: one for title, one for a bulleted list, one for a graphic....

Have a look at this Captivate blog post, explaining more about stencil slides:

Stencils in Adobe Captivate 5

Lilybiri

• 2. Re: Placeholders on Master Slides in Captivate 5 don't seem to work
            TokyoRed Level 1

Thank you for your answer.

So, if I understnd correctly.

Master slides are used to present fixed objects e.g. a graphical background to a slide that can only be 'edited' on the Master slide itself (and thus changing every slide that has been based upon this Master). But you cannot define an editable object on a Master slide e.g. a page title text box - that an author types into each time they create a new slide based upon the same Master.

I've looked at the item you included which refers to stencils.

I'm not sure what stencils offer an author as this appears to be a predefined set of slides already in sequence (rather than an author picking slide designs from a selection and arranging them how they require them)....coudn't this be done by creating a normal project without content added and then editing it and saving with a different file name each time you create a variation on the project? I would have thought that the power of Master slides would be that you can define a range of page types with defined editable (but constrained) areas that an author can select as they build up a project. ie the filmstrip is not pre-filled with all your page types.

To describe an example:

I want to create a project template that includes 3 different types of slides

1. heading (editable) and text (editable)

2. heading (editable) and text (editable) and image (editable)

3. heading (editable) and image (editable)

I would like to then create a project based upon these page types as follows:

page type 1

page type 2

page type 1

page type 3

page type 2

page type 3

It would seem logical that you have 3 Master slides and then as the author you create the 6 slides you need for your project ...applying the Master slides to each slide as you add it to the project film strip.

Using the typical Master slide approach with other applications (e.g. PowerPoint) you would:

Create slide (apply type 1 master)

Create slide (apply type 2 master)

Create slide (apply type 1 master)

Create slide (apply type 3 master)

Create slide (apply type 2 master)

Create slide (apply type 3 master)

What the stencil approach suggests (if I have understood it correctly) is that I would open up the template file and have 3 slides already in place. I would then have to duplicate and move the slides around to fit the project structure I need.ie duplicate slide 1 and move the duplicate to position 3, duplicate page 2 and move it to position 5 etc.

Am I not understanding this correctly? The 'stencil' approach appears to be no different than saving a project file with some slides with blank objects which you then re-open and resave with a different project name, before duplicating and deleting the existing slides as required?

I'm sure I have misunderstood your advice somewhere, apologies.

Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Placeholders on Master Slides in Captivate 5 don't seem to work
              Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello,

To really know the power of master slides and templates I should explain a lot more, but in my previous answer I just tried to explain why your approach was not the right one. In a template you can have much more than just a couple of slides with placeholders, you can have typical object styles, advanced actions, user variables etc. It would really need more than a short answer in this thread to explain all that. And that is different from just a blank slide, because placeholders (keeping all introduced styles) will not exist in a blank project, where you would have to insert text to have the proper layout etc.

Master slides can have variables inserted in a Text Caption, or even have a rollover caption that can have variables in it. I tried to explain the use of variables in this article, and there are examples to be used on a master slide:

Using power of variables without advanced actions

In my blog I'm always using master slides, you'll find links pointing to other articles

lilybiri's posterous

If you work with stencil slides, indeed the user will have to duplicate stencil slides to use them. Captivate is not Powerpoint, which is meant for presentations on the first place, while Captivate is meant for developing software training, soft skills trainings, assessments and perhaps presentations.

I'm sorry, just wanted to help you.

Lilybiri

• 4. Re: Placeholders on Master Slides in Captivate 5 don't seem to work
                TokyoRed Level 1

Lilybiri

Thanks for explaining some more aspects. I very much appreciate it being a Captivate newbie.

The information you have provided is very helpful and I will study your articles to get a better insight into using Captivate. Thanks for explaining that placeholders cannot be used on Master slides I didn't realise that was the case - this will save me a lot of time/confusion!

I'm sure that it is a very sophisticated tool and there is so much to learn. It does seem strange though that Adobe have chosen an approach to templates (as it appears to me, from my limited knowledge/perspective) that doesn't fully exploit the 'Master' slide concept...it seems a very limited use of Master slides for collaborative/consistent working if the range of Masters you can use are basically slides with different backgrounds.

I appreciate that PowerPoint and Captivate are quite different tools but Adobe seem to be missing a trick in smart working in the way that they have implemented the use of Master slides and placeholders if the two things cannot be combined at the Master slide level.

If there are other approaches out there that Captivate users adopt I would be interested to hear.

• 5. Re: Placeholders on Master Slides in Captivate 5 don't seem to work
                  tlmurray23 Level 1

The presentation seem to stop too soon, about 11 clicks in. It shows three bullets, and the text "And the objects (non master slide)..." starts to fade, and then that's it.