• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Registry trick to disable Adobe Reader X updates?

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Just installed Adobe Reader X and it seems like a great application-much improved also.

I was wondering if someone can give me a hint on how to disable Adobe Reader X future updates from the registry?

Version 9 had this option and I find it quite useful, so if you have any information please let me know.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't it as simple as changing the updater option under the Edit - Preferences menu?

When I change the updater option under the preferences, it changes a registry value located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe ARM\1.0\ARM

The value it changes is a DWord value of "iCheck".  The three options for the updater were:

"Automatically Install Updates"      - iCheck = 3

"Automatically download updates, but let me choose when to install them"      - iCheck = 2

"Do not download or install updates automatically"      - iCheck = 0

This was on a Windows 7 pc.  I can't answer if there are other things going on elsewhere that might have an effect on the auto update function of Adobe Reader.

I do see that Reader X insists on running a few things like past versions when Windows loads.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

StringValue - Adobe ARM = "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

StringValue - Adobe Reader Speed Launcher = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

StringValue - AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0 = "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\UWA\UpdaterStartupUtility.exe"

The 'AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0' entry appears to be a new one with ReaderX as I don't recall seeing it in past versions.  We normally remove these items from auto starting for our users since none of our users are admins and can't perform an auto update or installation.  (Actually we leave these entries here, but we "blank" them out because in past versions every time a tech would update Reader, it would re-write these values which we don't want and we found leaving the entries there, but blanking them out, left them alone if you did a manual update.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello all,

I know this thread/post is old, but I've created a useful registry script that disables updates for Adobe Reader & Acrobat 10/XI/2015/2017/DC.

Here's a link to the zip file - just extract it and run the included registry fix:

http://public.ashersolutions.net/DisableAdobeUpdates

If this helped you, let me know!

Thanks,

Brady

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines